Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Parent flying with child AND unrelated child internationally

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:11 pm
gof
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold

I didn't think this really fit in the single parent flying with child thread so appologies if I erred.

I'll be traveling with my daughter (10) and an unrelated child (10) to Germany for a tournament (First Lego League - Yea!). This will be ORD-FRA, and then we're also considering some stops via train on the way back (Paris, London).

Can someone provide some guidance (or links to) information on what sorts of letters and documentation I should get "just in case"? I see that some countries require a concent letter from my wife (no problem there), but what about the unrelated child (a boy if that matters). I'm guessing some sort of "permission" letter as well as some medical consent type documents.

So, any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I would check with the consulate of all the countries that I intent to visit for entry requirement of one parent with child and additional unrelated child. From my experience it could be more that what you are bargaining for.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
I would check with the consulate of all the countries that I intent to visit for entry requirement of one parent with child and additional unrelated child. From my experience it could be more that what you are bargaining for.
All the places the OP mentions are within the EU so there should only be one set of entry rules. I would check with the consulate of the country where you will first enter EU.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gof
I didn't think this really fit in the single parent flying with child thread so appologies if I erred.

I'll be traveling with my daughter (10) and an unrelated child (10) to Germany for a tournament (First Lego League - Yea!). This will be ORD-FRA, and then we're also considering some stops via train on the way back (Paris, London).

Can someone provide some guidance (or links to) information on what sorts of letters and documentation I should get "just in case"? I see that some countries require a concent letter from my wife (no problem there), but what about the unrelated child (a boy if that matters). I'm guessing some sort of "permission" letter as well as some medical consent type documents.

So, any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
Getting a notarized consent letter with one from each parent of the unrelated child is a very safe way to play it. For you and your own daughter traveling to Germany, no harm getting a letter from your daughter's father but generally it is not asked for nor needed to enter Schengen countries. Fathers have somewhat more problems than mothers when traveling in such circumstances but it is uncommon for there to be an issue if the family name on the passport is in-common. Same goes for the UK.

If Canada ends up on your itinerary -- even as part of a rerouting when a flight delay/cancellation hits -- Canadian passort control at airports far more regularly ask for or even demand a letter. I have had my own run-ins in Canada in such situations but have always gotten in despite never having letters of this nature for my travel with relatives. However, it is a situation of YMMV for Canada.

No harm in playing it safe and getting the letters from all the parents not traveling with their children to the tournament. So I would suggest three letters.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:51 pm
gof
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Thanks all. BTW: I am the father so I planned to get a letter from my wife. I'll have to check with the tournament organizers to see if they have any standard packet of needs going in to Germany. The only other catch then would be the UK if we visit London (everywhere else would be EU).
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by gof
Thanks all. BTW: I am the father so I planned to get a letter from my wife. I'll have to check with the tournament organizers to see if they have any standard packet of needs going in to Germany. The only other catch then would be the UK if we visit London (everywhere else would be EU).
Britain is part of the EU.

For those with U.S. citizenship, which I'm guessing all 3 of you have, getting into the EU is pretty easy. Look like you have enough money to support yourself for a week, smile at the immigration official, hand over passports and give simple answers to basic questions, like "Why are you visiting Germany?" "For the children to compete in a Lego tournament."

I wouldn't hand over the documentation for the second child unless asked, but definitely have a letter signed by both parents giving you permission to travel with the child. Wouldn't hurt to make sure you have the documentation inviting both kids to the tournament handy, but likely you won't need it. The average immigration official looks bored to tears with a never ending flow of passports to stamp and most seem uninclined to conversation. YMMV.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect it is not an issue, but I would double check with the consulate whether participation in a Lego tournament qualifies for entry as a tourist with no visa. For instance, if there are cash prizes or if participants are paid in some way, you might have to declare it as a business trip for the kids and possibly get visas. Also check with the tournament organizers about these issues.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Britain is part of the EU.
But outside Schengen, so for visa purposes it is effectively outside the EU, and passing through Immigration will be necessary.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Just make sure you have a notarized permission to travel letter and a permission for medical treatment signed by all non-traveling parents. You will probably never be asked for it for this trip, but you will definately be glad you have it if asked.

Just google and you'll pull up samples.

Personally, I would ask the other child's parents to purchase a travel insurance policy for him that has medical coverage as primary. It's not that expensive.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 6rugrats
Just make sure you have a notarized permission to travel letter and a permission for medical treatment signed by all non-traveling parents. You will probably never be asked for it for this trip, but you will definately be glad you have it if asked.

Personally, I would ask the other child's parents to purchase a travel insurance policy for him that has medical coverage as primary. It's not that expensive.
Good advice.

[I often have flown by myself with minor children who are my relatives; on the rare occasion I have been asked (by passport control types) for a letter from non-traveling parents, I have never presented such letter and yet always been allowed in anyway. Most recently did this a few weeks ago when going from the US to Canada by air and asked for such letter -- I had no longer delay than I had on my previous entry by myself where I got in within less than a minute . That said, I don't suggest others follow my course in these matters.]
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by 6rugrats

This is good advice. Another good idea is to have any allergies or medical needs/concerns be in writing.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
You now need a notorized letter from the your child's father to legally fly with a minor out of the US. The airlines are supposed to not allow you without it.

For the friend, you need one from both parents and an authorization for medical treatment

Now however, to get a passport, both parents must authorize it by federal law which most airlines accept without the current letter. But, they can refuse to board, ESP if the child is a baby

Last edited by BeatCal; Apr 15, 2012 at 8:33 am
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: United Plus
I've never heard of anyone not being allowed to board with a baby. I was assured by the U.S. Consulate that once my husband and I signed, either of us could travel alone with our children and we have both done this, many times.

Sometimes the destination country wants a letter from the absent parent. This is another matter but I'm not aware that any EU country requires one. I know that Mexico, Canada and Chile do. Don't just write any letter. Find out exactly what specifications the country wants (language, notarized, etc.) but I've flown in and out of several EU countries including the U.K. by myself with our kids and no one ever asked for a letter and nothing was mentioned on their immigration sites. I checked.

It's still a good idea for the non-related child, whether they ask for it or not. Ditto with the medical release.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by BeatCal
You now need a notorized letter from the your child's father to legally fly with a minor out of the US. The airlines are supposed to not allow you without it.

Now however, to get a passport, both parents must authorize it by federal law which most airlines accept without the current letter. But, they can refuse to board, ESP if the child is a baby
Can you provide a source for your statement that a parent needs a notarized letter from the other parent?

And just an FYI you do not always have to have permission of both parents for a child's passport. A court order concerning custody or proof of other circumstances (such a one parent in prison) can void that requirement.

BTW I believe the OP is the child's father.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BeatCal
Which law passed by Congress and signed by the President made that law and when was that law in the US?

Lots of people are allowed to fly daily out of the US without any such letter when traveling with a minor out of the US. Even CBP doing exit control checks doesn't ordinarily bat an eye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.