Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Parent flying with child AND unrelated child internationally

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parent flying with child AND unrelated child internationally

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
I've never heard of anyone not being allowed to board with a baby. I was assured by the U.S. Consulate that once my husband and I signed, either of us could travel alone with our children and we have both done this, many times.

Sometimes the destination country wants a letter from the absent parent. This is another matter but I'm not aware that any EU country requires one. I know that Mexico, Canada and Chile do. Don't just write any letter. Find out exactly what specifications the country wants (language, notarized, etc.) but I've flown in and out of several EU countries including the U.K. by myself with our kids and no one ever asked for a letter and nothing was mentioned on their immigration sites. I checked.
Canada often asks for such a letter but does not always require one. I have been allowed to enter Canada with my minor relatives even without such letters -- most recently, last month. The EU countries have not even asked me for such letters ever.

I really don't see why countries that are party to an international treaty against child abduction should make a fuss about such letters when dealing with nationals of another country party to such treaty. .... and yet some still ask for such letters anyway. The irony is that creating a fuss about such matters (as Canada does often) can create custody violations that would not arise if the passengers weren't hassled for not having letters.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
And just an FYI you do not always have to have permission of both parents for a child's passport. A court order concerning custody or proof of other circumstances (such a one parent in prison) can void that requirement.

BTW I believe the OP is the child's father.
Duh, a court order = letter
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by BeatCal
Duh, a court order = letter
"Duh?"

You are very much mistaken if you think a "court order = letter" in terms of what one has the authority to do. A court order grants one parent absolute authority to determine where the child may live, travel, etc. and the right to obtain a passport without the consent of the other parent. A letter from a parent sharing custody gives permission for the other parent to travel with the child.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about single parents where the father has never been a factor and isn't on the birth certificate etc. (one night stand, sperm doner etc?)
Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
"Duh?"

You are very much mistaken if you think a "court order = letter" in terms of what one has the authority to do. A court order grants one parent absolute authority to determine where the child may live, travel, etc. and the right to obtain a passport without the consent of the other parent. A letter from a parent sharing custody gives permission for the other parent to travel with the child.
CD
You are being anal (no offense). A letter DOES = court order. Vida infra

Emma69. You need birth certificate indicating single parent. Vida infra

Both parents must provide consent authorizing passport issuance for a minor under age 16. See the scenarios below, and follow the instruction that best applies to your circumstance:

Both Parents MUST:

Appear in person with the minor
Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent

One Parent MUST:

Submit the second parents' notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053)

One Parent
(with sole legal custody)
MUST:

Submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:
Minor's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent
Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only the applying parent
Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order)
Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent)
Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child
Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent
Death certificate of non-applying parent
NOTE: If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent must submit Form DS-3053 stating why the non-applying parent/guardian's consent cannot be obtained
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:15 pm
Suspended

CD

Vide infra

Vide infra

A letter from the other parent does not equal a court order.

A parent traveling with a minor child with an unknown and/or deceased father does not generally need to travel with a birth certificate for the child. [People should not confuse (a) that which the US may require to issue a passport to a US citizen child with (b) that which a foreign government may accept at a port of entry.]

My auto-correct.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 17, 2012 at 9:03 am
Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: United Plus
...Just like a country can require a visa to enter, in addition to a passport (children and adults alike).

Single parents who went the donor route usually know what's needed document-wise. They're usually well-informed and this has been the situation all along (no documented father). Same with single adoptive parents. The single parents who run into problems are usually in a situation where the other parent is absent, often for quite awhile, and they can't track them down.

I was raised by a single parent but since my father passed away, it was easy to document.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do other countries birth certificates look as though someone whipped it up on a laser printer at home? I've always wondered about my short form birth certificate, whether anyone outside the UK would think it was 'real' (and the same goes for marriage certificates too from the UK!)
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by emma69
Do other countries birth certificates look as though someone whipped it up on a laser printer at home? I've always wondered about my short form birth certificate, whether anyone outside the UK would think it was 'real' (and the same goes for marriage certificates too from the UK!)
Yes, many countries, including some OECD countries. That which the US Government accepts as foreign birth certificates as part of ACS activity includes the kind of birth certificates that are a joke to alter; however, that such fraud may be caught because various of these OECD country governments -- primarily in the EU -- do as the US Government requests and often provide means to confirm the information is accurate at that time or perhaps later depending on the purpose and the push behind whatever purpose is in mind.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 5:12 pm

CD

BeatCal, haven't bothered to look at this thread for several months but now that I have, I see you continue your habits of insults and errors.

What's your personal experience in international travel with a child of whom you have sole legal custody? My experience, both leaving and re-entering the U.S. is that border agents tell me they want to see a court order stating custody as well as a passport. No government agency is obligated to respect a letter from a private party, but they are obligated to respect/comply with orders of the courts, IME experience, agents of a foreign government respect the orders concerning custody of the U.S. courts. There are some who do not, Japan and Iran come to mind, but most do.

I don't see a source for the quote you post, which I find interesting if you are trying to use it to prove a point.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:23 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
BeatCal, haven't bothered to look at this thread for several months but now that I have, I see you continue your habits of insults and errors.

What's your personal experience in international travel with a child of whom you have sole legal custody? My experience, both leaving and re-entering the U.S. is that border agents tell me they want to see a court order stating custody as well as a passport. No government agency is obligated to respect a letter from a private party, but they are obligated to respect/comply with orders of the courts, IME experience, agents of a foreign government respect the orders concerning custody of the U.S. courts. There are some who do not, Japan and Iran come to mind, but most do.

I don't see a source for the quote you post, which I find interesting if you are trying to use it to prove a point.
I don't know about BeatCal, but i was advised by a Travel Agent to take my daughters birth certificate when travelling with her to the US last year as a single parent with sole custody (her father isn't on her birth cert), found it a bit odd and i didn't need it but as we were travelling around the US its possible they thought we might go to Mexico and i understand they have in the past needed proof of that sort of thing
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:08 am
Suspended

My experience, both leaving and re-entering the U.S. is that border agents tell me they want to see a court order stating custody as well as a passport. .
To re-enter the US as a US citizen with minors who are US citizens too sharing the same family name? If so, that experience to re-enter is better described as more the exception than the norm.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Updating this thread with a recent experience.

Last week, I took my daughter and her friend to London. We were asked for nothing but our passports while leaving the US. At passport control at Heathrow, I had to present the notarized permission to travel letter signed by both the friend's parents, and my husband's death certificate.

Had a nice chat with the agent who told me they take child abduction very seriously, and if I had tried to enter w/o this documentation, they may have attempted to call the friend's parents to obtain permission, or she could have been refused entry and sent back home.

For reference, these are young teenagers. I was not asked to present anything when leaving the UK or re-entering the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.