Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

BA and Pram, Stroller or Pushchair?

Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Hi, I'm flying from Gatwick to St Lucia with an Infant and am concerned as to whether I can take my pram.

I emailed BA, and they told me to ring BA Offices.....

I rang Customer Services and tried by best to describe what a Pram was to an American woman.

In my mind a Pram isn't a Pushchair, nor is it a Stroller. It does fold but not like a Stroller does.

The dimensions folded are 82.5 x 68 x 37.5 cm.

And this is our Pram

http://www.obaby.co.uk/product_detai...4&item_id=1611

Would we be able to take this up to the gate and have it put in the hold?

Thanks

Bezza
Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:29 am

Programs: United Plus
That's a stroller or what you call a "push chair" in the U.K. I used to live in London and a pram is what Americans call a "buggie", the kind with a bed. That's not a pram or a buggie. Someone gave me one and I never used it.

You'll have to check with the airline you're flying to see if they'll let you gate-check it. Normally, it's not a problem. American Airlines has a strict 20lbs rule but most airlines just stipulate that the stroller must fold down flat somehow. The exact details of how it folds shouldn't matter.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:22 am
G*G

For what it's worth - we have taken a very similar sized stroller to the gate at LHR and several US airports without any issues. I have a sense that different airports enforce the size limitations differently (just like with carryons) and that you might want to check carefully w BA to be on the safe side.

Best of luck!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I agree - this is a regular stroller and you shouldn't have any problems gate checking it.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Platinum, Mileage junkie, Four Seasons seeker, brings the kids in F club
Dont worry it will be fine...you can gate check it. I took my Stokke Xplory all the time and its WAY bigger than yours. Keep in mind that you wont be picking it up till you get the rest of your luggage though.

Not a big deal on the St Lucia side, but will be more annoying when you come home and have to go all the way through immigration and arrivals before you can get the pram back. Bring a sling or expect to carry a grumpy baby and all your bags at the same time.

Nowadays I use a cheapo Tesco Direct pushchair for airports, and I check the Stokke in the airline approved travel bag at check in so I dont have to deal with the hassle. The cheapo is small enough to fit in the wardrobe on plane. Although if its a full flight with lots of families and you are flying in Y class you might still get it taken away to the hold.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.209-1145.aspx
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:57 pm

[QUOTE=cariad73;18020509]Dont worry it will be fine...you can gate check it. I took my Stokke Xplory all the time and its WAY bigger than yours. Keep in mind that you wont be picking it up till you get the rest of your luggage though.

Hi was just wondering if you had a carry cot on your stokke pushchair, or you had a car seat?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.