Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

CARES Child Aviation Restraints for toddlers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Erasmus
Please post your real-world experiences on which aircraft seats it works on, or doesn't work on.

Consolidated Infant Restraints in Premium Cabin

Works
Scandinavian Airlines - A330/A340 - Economy seats
Scandinavian Airlines - A330/A340 - Economy Extra seats
United Airlines - all narrowbodies - Economy and Economy Plus seats

Works with a lot of effort (please describe)

Doesn't work at all
Print Wikipost

CARES Child Aviation Restraints for toddlers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:49 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
Were you trained in the U.K.? It was discussed in detail in both my trainings (yes, I flew with two U.S. companies).

This was funny because my kids didn't want out of their seats to sit in my lap. Sitting anywhere, even my lap, was the LAST thing on their minds. They just wanted to RUN. My oldest was a bolter. He loved taking off in public places. The bigger, the more crowded, the better. It was his own seat, the car seat and a new toy, given right at push-back or we too, would have been off-loaded!
Yes trained in the UK

My own daughter loved her first flight after she turned 2 because no longer did anyone try to insist she couldn't sit in her own seat for takeoff/landing!
Old May 13, 2013, 9:55 am

CARES on ANA

Hi, I'm not sure if this would be better suited for the ANA forum, but we're about to fly JFK-NRT with our 20-month old. The plane has fixed back shell seats in Y.
We borrowed a CARES device to use on the flight, but posts in this thread have me worried that it won't work in this circumstance. Has anyone here had experience using a CARES device on ANA on their 777 planes with shell seats?
Or are we out of luck using a CARES on any fixed-back shell seat? Thanks all.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: United Plus
No experience but this has been mentioned on this board. Other posters have warned that if you can't slip the strap over the back of the seat, the CARES harness can't be used. Check their site.

If the seat comes away from the shell when reclined, it might still work.

Someone done this? Or at least know these seats?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by lombardo
Hi, I'm not sure if this would be better suited for the ANA forum, but we're about to fly JFK-NRT with our 20-month old. The plane has fixed back shell seats in Y.
We borrowed a CARES device to use on the flight, but posts in this thread have me worried that it won't work in this circumstance. Has anyone here had experience using a CARES device on ANA on their 777 planes with shell seats?
Or are we out of luck using a CARES on any fixed-back shell seat? Thanks all.
In case it helps anyone ... I just got back from the trip and the ANA fixed-back seats on the 777 do in fact accommodate a CARES device.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have create a Wiki post for this thread. Please edit it accordingly.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I can't find a way to edit the wiki -- perhaps because of my limited number of posts, but if it helps I've never had any issues installing or using the CARES harness on Southwest or Virgin America domestically (737's and A320s, respectively). Delta crew asked questions and asked to see the harness, but didn't have a problem with it (MD-88, 737). Virgin Australia (A320, A330, 777) and QANTAS (A330, 747), both domestically and transpacific were no-gos -- crew was very specific that they *could not* be used. (Note that for the transpacifics our toddler was under 2 but has his own seat). The harness could have been installed and would have worked just fine, but their operating certificate et. al. would not allow it. As previously mentioned in this thread, the loop harness was required on the Australian based airlines (even if we had a seat purchased for him). All of the above is in Y.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
Does the CARES harness work on Delta Transpac J seats?
How about with an almost one year old that is less than 22 pounds?
Just a warning, I am going to be asking several questions in the next few days about traveling with 11 month old to Asia.
We have lots of experience flying. Just not on this duration of flights.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I have previously created an entirely separate thread with details for premium cabins, which I mention on the first page of this thread. I put a link in the Wiki for you.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Baby Swede finally grew out of her CARES harness. She felt like a big girl sitting with just a seat belt on the TATL flight back home.

Sold it on Craigslist for $35 within 36 hours of posting.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:54 pm

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, WJ, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold, Fairmont PC, IHG, Marriott, Airmiles, Aventura,Avion
I have used the CARES with my daughter on over a dozen flights and totally recommend it. After taking the car seat on board the first few times, I never wanted to again. The car seat forced her to sit in the same position the whole time, takes up so much space and didn't allow us much comfort. With the CARES, we are a lot more comfortable and if she wants to nap when it's safe, she can lay across her seat with her head in my lap.
I prefer to check the carseat as Air Canada and Westjet do so for free and use the CARES. I've had friends borrow it and one of my friend's rented one for $15/day so buying it makes more sense if you plan to travel more than once or twice. I see them on sale very rarely and they sell quickly.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: United Plus
Please don't ever check a car seat as luggage! They can get lost and broken en route. It also means you might not have the car seat when you arrive, forcing you to either wait hours for it to arrive or driving with your child unrestrained.

Also, car seat damage is not always obvious. That's why the insurance companies replace them systematically after an accident. Your seat could have been dropped or otherwise mistreated, meaning it won't protect your child in an accident.

It's not a big deal to bring a car seat on board, if you're organized, especially with only one child.

I didn't let my children lie across my lap because it meant hours of being pinned down, unable to use the restroom.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:01 am

anyone know if CARES works with IFE on Emirates Airlines. Boeing and Airbus both if that matters.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:13 pm

Just in case anyone in future needs an answer to this - it works.
Old May 12, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot Platinum, HH Gold
Question CARES in UA Global First?

Looking for some confirmation that CARES is or is NOT allowed in UA GF. Have a trip planned to Asia with my wife and 3 year old who is ~25lbs. If CARES is not an option, is it safe to assume that we can use her car seat for takeoff and landing in the Global First cabin? We are flying on both the 747 and 777 on our trip.

Are there any other options for this plane/seat type? Any real world experience would be appreciated. I searched many forums/posts but was unable to loacate a firm answer.

Thanks,
JB
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC*G
Does anyone have experience with CARES and the US Envoy seats? We're flying PHL-FRA and AA quite clearly says
"If your infant will travel in his or her own seat, you will need to buy a ticket and bring a safety seat approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)."
but we rather not carry the big car seat around. Plus, what would you do with the car seat once you make the bed flat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.