2 in J or 3 in Y

Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:01 am
Original Poster

2 in J or 3 in Y

Would you rather have 2 seats in J (CO BF) or 3 in Y for a 4 hr flight with a 6 month infant? Thoughts?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:09 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
2 in J.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 2:31 pm

+1 - especially if you have no status.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Depends on your kid; only you know how (s)he will do in lap. For our first, it was 3 in Y no questions asked.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:44 pm

Answer: 3 in J

Impossible to answer your question without knowing price difference and how much you can afford. For the same price/miles, 2 in J would probably be better.

However, the difference between Y and J is not as great as it would be if traveling without baby. Even in J, you are unlikely to have a good, easy flight: your job is to take care of a baby. Any in Y with 3 seats, you will have more space than you are used to. You will likely have an entire row of 3 seats, and the baby hardly takes up any room. Plus, you may be able to put the baby in its (his, her) car seat, the best possible place for it.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 2:59 am

Programs: United Plus
Another vote for 3 in J.

Using a car seat is actually the only safe way to fly with a baby. On a practical note, it's no fun being pinned under a sleeping baby, unable to go to the restroom or being able to eat or sleep comfortably, even if the seat is bigger.

A bassinet is no replacement for a car seat, in terms of safety or convenience. Many are too small even for a 6 monther and getting one is not guaranteed.

As a pp pointed out, the comforts and advantages of business are less a factor with a baby.

This is controversial to say but also, Y is more "baby friendly". As a Flight Attendant, I got more complaints about babies in business than in the back. But don't let this be a deal-breaker. It's still your right to fly in business with a baby!
Old Jan 1, 2012, 3:12 am

Off-topic: What BusinessFirst route is only 4 hours long?
Old Jan 1, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Off-topic: What BusinessFirst route is only 4 hours long?
Eastbound transcons in the winter.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:04 am

Um, that's still a bit fast. If it's an airline doing int'l, they'll have domestic flights to reposition aircraft, or just wandering around the system doing both.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:31 am
Original Poster

So it seems like there's no consensus and it's a matter of personal preference? Thanks for no help My thought was that being able to have the baby sit in his car seat was a big plus. However, sitting in Y with no status isn't something to look forward to. I'm still undecided!

Thanks all!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:41 am

2x J > 3x Y

There's consensus...
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:08 am

The three seats in J seem to be winning. That's definitely how I'd go...

The car seat is definitely a plus. If you go with two seats in business, be zen in the fact your child is not secure and make sure you both take turns with the baby!!! I have one of those husbands who will sit and let me do all the work (unless I insist) so it also depends on how hands-on both of you are.

Having the car seat meant I didn't have to hold the baby all the time, especially when s/he fell asleep.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:45 pm

Another vote here for 3 seats in Y. My tolerance for non-stop holding of a baby is only about 3 hours. As Eclipsepearl notes, handing off the baby to the father only works if the father is willing. Mine wasn't. Hopefully yours is if you decide to go for 2 seats in J.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Also vote for three in Y. That way you all have your own seats. There's really no benefit, IMO, in sitting in business/first for this flight. The FAs won't help you, you can't enjoy food or drink holding a baby.

I don't think status or no status makes any difference.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
3 in y.. save the bucks for a suite or condo, that is roomy enough for the family..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.