Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Is hotel worth it for 2 hrs w/ 9m baby on layover?

Is hotel worth it for 2 hrs w/ 9m baby on layover?

Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Presidents Club, SPG
Question Is hotel worth it for 2 hrs w/ 9m baby on layover?

Is hotel worth it for 2 hrs w/ 9mth baby on layover? We're flying yyc-lhr-jnb and have a 4-5 hour layover in lhr t5. I've booked a room at the Sofitel to freshen up etc as its our first flight with our new baby. The thing is.....it's $150! My quest is it worth while, will it reduce stress etc.... I'm so confused
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by ravizim
Is hotel worth it for 2 hrs w/ 9mth baby on layover? We're flying yyc-lhr-jnb and have a 4-5 hour layover in lhr t5. I've booked a room at the Sofitel to freshen up etc as its our first flight with our new baby. The thing is.....it's $150! My quest is it worth while, will it reduce stress etc.... I'm so confused
Would I have paid $150 for basically 2 hours use of a private restroom when my son was that age? No, not a chance. The stress of getting there, checking in, misplacing something in the room because you're stressed, checking out, getting back to the right terminal, etc. would not be worth it to me.

There are some airlines with lounges that are more family friendly than others; perhaps someone here with expert knowledge of LHR can suggest which lounge would be worth spending the money (closer to $50) for a day pass? That way you could get a shower and a snack, and maybe even a quick nap, without leaving the airport.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:03 pm

If you were going to be transiting Terminal 4 I'd say go for Yotel. But YYC-LHR-JNB looks like you'll be in any terminal but 4 (AC is T3, SA is T1, BA is T5).
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Presidents Club, SPG
Unhappy T5

Yep t5 is the terminal as we're going BA wt+... And there are no pay lounges there in t5...
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:37 pm

What type of facility is most important to you? Shower? Bed? Kid friendly zone?

http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co...acilities.html says there are 3 play areas in T5. I know a 9 month old isn't likely to want a climbing structure, but a place where kids are welcome to crawl/roam around might be nice, and there the people are also parent-type people, so you won't be getting hostile glares because you have a young child in tow.

That page also links to other facilities within the airport, like rooms by the hour for naps, and spas. With a 4 hour layover, the parents might swap off getting a shower or a rest while the other minds the child.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Accor Plat
I'd also say to probably not do the hotel thing, if your flight is late, you all fall asleep in the room, etc. etc. it could be tight and more stressful in the end.

I'd also probably try to avoid having the baby sleep during the layover (of coruse this is highly unlikely) but if they are more apt to sleep on the plane a lot better.

Do you have priotirty pass or anything where you can take turns freshening up in pay lounge?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
If the hotel has a day or hourly rate, it would be a consideration..

Full nights' charge, very steep..
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:45 pm

LHR is a problem as they won't let you transfer to another terminal if not flying from there. The only option is to exit T5 but even then it wouldn't be worth it - getting back through immigration/security is a royal pain.

Your best bet is to stay at T5 (it is very nice with excellent facilities) and spend the money on toys and food.

Perhaps some people on the BA board would be willing to guest you in (unlikely with an infant though).
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
erik123 has a point.. your money would be better put towards making your layover comfortable, or putting the money into a membership that allows you access to the lounge..
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
erik123 has a point.. your money would be better put towards making your layover comfortable, or putting the money into a membership that allows you access to the lounge..
There are no pay-for lounges at T5 and no access to other terminals.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by erik123
There are no pay-for lounges at T5 and no access to other terminals.
What I'm referring to is maybe a cc with lounge membership included, or even the diner's card.. OP was going to spend money on a hotel for a couple of hours.. getting access to lounge membership, is a card away depedning on the lounge and airport location..
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:02 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
What I'm referring to is maybe a cc with lounge membership included, or even the diner's card.. OP was going to spend money on a hotel for a couple of hours.. getting access to lounge membership, is a card away depedning on the lounge and airport location..
The point is the only way to access a lounge at T5 is to be travelling Business or First with BA or be a Silver, Gold or Plat BAEC card holder, there are 3 playgrounds at T5, aimed at under 8s with soft play materials, $150 for two hours seems a little steep but if you really need the relaxation escape it may be a good option
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fredandgingermad
The point is the only way to access a lounge at T5 is to be travelling Business or First with BA or be a Silver, Gold or Plat BAEC card holder, there are 3 playgrounds at T5, aimed at under 8s with soft play materials, $150 for two hours seems a little steep but if you really need the relaxation escape it may be a good option
Good call.. How is the annual fee for Plat BAEC card holders?

Certainly the playgrounds are a convenient option.. as a parent, its an opportunity for the kids to spend their energy a bit..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.