Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

iPad game suggestions for a 2.5 year old?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

Well, the title pretty much says it all. We have a shortish (3hrs, tops) flight coming up with the little people. They're good travelers, but entering that age...

Along with the coloring books, stickers, copy of Barnyard Dance and other items, we're bringing the iPad. Any suggestions for games good for toddlers? Angry Birds is already downloaded but would be happy with other suggestions.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:23 am

These should be the same as for the iPhone right?
My 28 month old loves the sorting shapes games: Shapes. Other cute ones: Hatch, Talking Ben/Hippo/Gina Giraffe/Tom Cat/Roby, ABC Phonics, the best ones are by DuckDuck Moose: 1.99 each - Old Macdonald, Itsy Bitsy Spider, Wheels on the Bus and such..
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:52 pm

JirboMatch - memory type game, easy for a 2 1/2 yo to play alone.
Drawing Pad - awesome drawing app, ability to choose colors, backgrounds, borders, tools, etc. Probably can be used by 2 1/2 yo without much assistance.
Lunch Box - preschool learning game...has instructions on the screen so might need parental help. I.E. "touch the red heart"
Fantazy Girls - sort of a paper dolls type game...design your own girl; select hair, clothes, skin color, shoes, etc. Might need a little assistance.

We also have a variety of preschool tv shows downloaded. Word Girl, Martha Speaks, Super Why! and Arthur are all decent and maybe even a little educational.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Great, thanks guys! We (and the other passengers) appreciate it.

Mike
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
How about Fruit Ninja? (Zen mode, no bombs). My 3yo loves that one
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
We only have an iPod Touch (no iPad) but our toddler loves -

- Create a Car

- SUPER WHY! (Super Readers)

- Smack Gugl (in kid's mode)

- Olivia Paints

- Bubbles
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:23 am

Few more suggestions. Note that your kid may express zero interest in a particular app at first, then three weeks later be addicted to it

- peekaboo barn

- peekaboo wild

- my very first app

- Montessori Crosswords

- alphabet car

- starfall ABCs

- Monkey Preschool Lunchbox

- Scout's ABC Garden

- Join the Dots

- Super Readers Super WHY
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:40 pm

Note that there are Boynton books/apps (since you mentioned Barnyard
Dance). We have _The Going to Bed Book_, _Moo, Baa, La La La_ and
_Blue Hat, Green Hat_. I'm sure there are others, but I think they are
done well, very kid friendly.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by icedancer
How about Fruit Ninja? (Zen mode, no bombs). My 3yo loves that one
My 2yo loves that too, as well as the aforementioned Super Why!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta
This is a great thread
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Heh. Your mileage may vary. I'm flummoxed by the idea of entertaining a toddler or preschooler with computer games or videos. Maybe I'm older and meaner than I think. A pen and paper are fine technology for that age. My preschooler would probably disagree.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by daregale
Heh. Your mileage may vary. I'm flummoxed by the idea of entertaining a toddler or preschooler with computer games or videos.
The thing that's hard to discount is the learning side of the equation - My toddler knows her alphabet and basic words, as well as basic numbers and even some basic math. I'd like to take credit, but a lot of it is due to educational games on our iPod.

I think like anything else in life it's good in moderation.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plt, Hertz #1G PC
Anything Sesame Street, Paint Sparkle (similar to regular drawing pad but with sparkles and music when they "color"), and Color Dots. Color Dots may be too young, it's just pages with dots that float around and they have to pop them all.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
The thing that's hard to discount is the learning side of the equation - My toddler knows her alphabet and basic words, as well as basic numbers and even some basic math. I'd like to take credit, but a lot of it is due to educational games on our iPod.

I think like anything else in life it's good in moderation.
Agreed. As long as you're not parking your kid in front of the TV with the iPod for hours on end, the games can be really beneficial. My daughter (2 years, 4 months old) knows her alphabet, can recognize words, knows all the letter sounds, can count to 20... a lot better than I was able to do at the same age (or so my mother tells me).

The Super Why! app has been especially good for teaching her to recognize letters and letter sounds. It's also encouraged her to try and start writing.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:24 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Of course many people are happy for the choice to be able to entertain their children with electronics, particularly on long haul flights. Clearly the apparent ubiquity of toddler and preschooler apps speaks to their popularity and utility. I recognize I'm the outlier, but I do discount the learning side as overrated. Nothing the kids in my boy's daycare haven't accomplished without electronics. My iPad is for me and for family keeping in touch when we're in different locations.

But as annoyingly pompous and self-righteous as I may be, I'm still simultaneously on your side for finding fabulous fun and engaging activities for your kids. I'm mindful of the danger of enforcing my own Luddite entertainment preferences on my own offspring. Parenting involves navigating treacherous waters. And sucking all the life out of activities that are supposed to be fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.