Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport Renewal

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Whoops, forgot to follow up with this thread. It was as if we were applying new. Had to get a new photo.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:27 pm

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Originally Posted by whlinder
Whoops, forgot to follow up with this thread. It was as if we were applying new. Had to get a new photo.
Not sure what you mean? I thought that any passport application requires a recent photo, regardless of whether it's a renewal or for a first-time applicant.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Michael
Not sure what you mean? I thought that any passport application requires a recent photo, regardless of whether it's a renewal or for a first-time applicant.
I read that post as being about having to apply for the minor's passport as if it were the child's initial passport/a first-time applicant.

Recent photos are asked for regardless of whether it's a timely renewal or a first-time applicant.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael
Yeah I don't know what I mean either... I saw something about photos up thread and thought I should mention it.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I read that post as being about having to apply for the minor's passport as if it were the child's initial passport/a first-time applicant.
Correct
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K
Not directly responding to anything on this thread, but just a datapoint on timing. We renewed our 10- and 6-year-olds' passports in January at our local post office, and it took 12 days to receive the new passports (mailed with their expired passports). Their birth certificates arrived the following day.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by whlinder
did you have to provide the original birth cert for the renewal as well (as stated above?)
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
did you have to provide the original birth cert for the renewal as well (as stated above?)
Just got a new (renewal) passport for our daughter. Had to send in the birth certificate along with the old passport.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Interesting tidbit for us - we applied about 8-10 days ago.

The acceptance facility (post office) let us keep the original birth certificates and sent on photocopies.

For those asking earlier, birth certificate is to establish relationship between parents and child...it lists parents' names on it.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
For those asking earlier, birth certificate is to establish relationship between parents and child...it lists parents' names on it.
Ahhhhh..... That makes so much more sense.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Yes we did.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

The acceptance facility (post office) let us keep the original birth certificates and sent on photocopies.

Given the legions of children who are in the care of the grandparent(s) or some other adult(s) than the birth certificate-/CRBA-stated biological parent(s) who may either be dead or otherwise absent (e.g., a product of growing legions of Americans being incarcerated), it seems such a demand for a birth certificate or CRBA/FS-240 is rooted in concerns about fraudulent representation, including that related to international trafficking and/or child abduction using a US passport.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Just a few set backs... Presidents Day-figures! That's something I would do...

while i'm here; the lady didn't know if there was a difference in charge for a 28 page book or a 52 page. I chose the smaller b/c I didn't want it rejected b/c I didn't send in enough money.

curious though.. any one know the answer to that?

Maybe it's no longer the case but they just automatically gave me the bigger passport when I renewed. I had just had a baby so it was a sad reminder that I probably wouldn't be filling it up (I used to have to renew my passports just because they got too full). They looked at the old one and just figured this chick needs the fat book. They were not aware of my procreation projects!

Last edited by Eclipsepearl; Mar 9, 2011 at 10:23 am
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by awtravel
Make sure to bring your child's original birth certificate. They won't take the old/expired passport as proof of citizenship. In addition, make sure you and your spouse bring your own ID with pictures for verification.
Originally Posted by drewguy
This is one of the most inexplicable requirements. I understand the two-parents part and the in-person part, but why is the birth certificate needed? If it is to establish entitlement to a passport that has already been done for the initial application. It certainly doesn't establish identity--there's no picture--all it proves is that a person by the name of the applicant was born in the US on a certain day. But that was already established once.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Actually under a variety of circumstances the US does take the old/expired ordinary US citizen passport as proof of US citizenship for minors too.

SO: Has anyone submitted a child's renewal with just a plain birth certificate copy plus child's expiring passport? Did it work out OK, or did the application get rejected?

Here's the full story and reason why I'm asking:

We just submitted an application for my daughter's second passport. I followed the instructions on the passport agency website to the letter. These instructions include submitting "Evidence of Parental Relationship":

If you’re submitting one or more of the documents below as evidence of U.S. citizenship too, you must submit a certified copy. Examples of documents that may be used as evidence of parental relationship are:

U.S. birth certificate
Because we were submitting her previous US passport as evidence of citizenship, I figured all we needed for Proof of Parental Relationship was a regular old non-certified copy of her birth certificate.

The post office employee said it would be rejected without the original birth certificate or certified copy. I whipped out my phone and read him the quote from the website. He said he'd submit it, but he's been told that the passport office only accepts original documents, so don't be surprised if it comes back. I told him to submit.

What's going to happen?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
IME, you will receive a request back in the mail asking you for the original BC or a certified copy.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by 6rugrats
IME, you will receive a request back in the mail asking you for the original BC or a certified copy.
Did you get that request when submitting a renewal (i.e., with the old passport), or was it with an application in which you did not submit the old passport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.