Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toddler Food - What's Allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by ArizonaRoadWarrior
I agree...the key is reasonable quantity. One time without my knowledge, my wife packed a bunch of liquids for an hour flight from PHX to LAS...the TSA confiscated most of it. That was the only flight that the TSA confiscated liquids from us.

The keys are 1) putting all of the liquied for your child (or children) in one bin; 2) if questioned, be prepared to responded back with "our flight is four hours long, we are two hours early, who knows if our flight will be late sit on the tarmac for a few hours...our son needs to eat and drink"; 3) if initially rejected, be nice and ask for a supervisor...it has been our experience that TSA agents that are childless do not have a clue and a supervisor will approve your liquids IF is of reasonable quantity.
Tried all of the above with the 32oz milk mentioned above and still got one 8 oz box confiscated. Claimed that the flight was 5.5 hours long, at the airport an hour early, flight could be late, asked for a supervisor, and no dice. Answer was that the quantity was supposed to be based on the scheduled length of the flight only and that was that.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:40 am

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by icedancer
Tried all of the above with the 32oz milk mentioned above and still got one 8 oz box confiscated. Claimed that the flight was 5.5 hours long, at the airport an hour early, flight could be late, asked for a supervisor, and no dice. Answer was that the quantity was supposed to be based on the scheduled length of the flight only and that was that.
Unless your prediatrician recommended 32 oz of milk every six hours (which you should have in writing on doctor's letterhead), 32 oz of milk is a lot of milk. I did a quick Google search and it seems like that 16 to 24 full ounces of milk is what what most doctors recommend.

Kids Health, http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/nutrition/feed12yr.html#, recommends that a parent should limit their child's milk intake to 16 to 24 full ounces.

The pediatrician for our son recommended 3 glasses of milk when he was between 18-MO and 24-MO.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by ArizonaRoadWarrior
Unless your prediatrician recommended 32 oz of milk every six hours (which you should have in writing on doctor's letterhead), 32 oz of milk is a lot of milk. I did a quick Google search and it seems like that 16 to 24 full ounces of milk is what what most doctors recommend.

Kids Health, http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/nutrition/feed12yr.html#, recommends that a parent should limit their child's milk intake to 16 to 24 full ounces.

The pediatrician for our son recommended 3 glasses of milk when he was between 18-MO and 24-MO.
Well, right....my daughter wouldn't normally drink that much in 6 hours. I thought we were discussing planning for contingencies and time at the airport. In my mind, also, I was planning for the time it would take once I got to BOS to actually find more *organic* milk, which is the only thing my daughter has had since she began drinking milk. It turned out to be fairly difficult given where we were staying and she eventually needed to drink non-organic milk while we were there, which disappointed me greatly.

BTW, the link appears not to be working...
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
It turned out to be fairly difficult given where we were staying and she eventually needed to drink non-organic milk while we were there, which disappointed me greatly.
Oh no! I hope she survived this terrible ordeal!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by icedancer
Jeez. That is pretty annoying I bet. They have to come up with a better policy to accomodate parents with small children.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Juice confiscated at DFW for our 2 yr old.

Flying CUN-DFW-FAT last week, we had 4 juice boxes packed separately. At Cancun, they made us throw away 2 for the 2.5 hr flight, which we understood. At DFW, an agent confiscated the remaining 2 boxes. When we asked why, she said juice boxes weren't allowed for our child. When we called over a supervisor, she asked how old our child was. We replied not quite 3 (our child is normal height and weight for her age). The supervisor said juice boxes were allowed for infants only. We were able to buy 2 bottles of juice (at nearly $10) near our gate pre-departure.

Besides the TSA verbiage cited earlier, is there anywhere else the rules (as in definitions of a toddler) are printed?

*edit* A TSA rep called at 7:30 AM pst after I posted a suggestion on the web to at least have an age recommendation on juice being a toddler - he said it is always an on-the-spot call, and since kids dont normally travel with ID (which every kid should have while traveling on an int'l itinerary) it could become a sticking point. He also mentioned that by the time any changes were made, the rules might change re: liquids anyway.

Last edited by jumpdogjump; Nov 4, 2010 at 8:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.