Wiki Posts
Search

RBC VISA Canada Forces Loyalty to RBC Points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA Plat
RBC VISA Canada Forces Loyalty to RBC Points

Just to let you know that Canadian Royal Bank VISA cards used on any Thrifty rental after September 2008 has being automatically applying RBC Points to your RBC VISA account rather than your Blue Chip Account. Even though your default is Blue Chip you will HAVE to take the RBC points. Currently you have no choice.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Interesting. Haven't heard of this. Other than your experience, do you have a source for it?

I don't know how they would accomplish this on a technical level. As far as the computer system is aware, a credit card is a credit card is a credit card. The field where the agent types your rewards program information is not tied in any way to the credit card field.

Even on the back end, there's no way to run any sort of report that searches for all rentals with a given credit card prefix (and Thrifty would then have to have the RBC card prefixes on file), and even if there were, it would be a horrendously laborious process to manually go in and change them all to RBC before posting the reward information.

I have a hard time understanding how it would work, but then again, obviously it's happening to you. Still, I don't understand why Thrifty or RBC would care about this. RBC doesn't force you to earn RBC points if you use your RBC card to book a ticket on Lufthansa or British Airways or even Air Canada, so why would they care if you have a charge on your card from Thrifty versus a charge on your card from Icelandair?
Old Jan 13, 2009, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

I spoke to the Blue Chip rep today. He tells me that RBC VISA in Canada have an agreement with Thrifty that ANYTIME some uses their RBC VISA card for a Thrifty Rental the loyalty goes to your RBC points program automatically even if you request Blue Chip Loyalty. It seems to be slowly being discovered. I guess several people have complained but there is no way to change that.... yet.

The only way for me to get my Blue Chip points is to use another credit card. However, my RBC Card is the only USD card I carry. And to use a CDN funds card state side incurs another exchange fee. And I don't need ( or want ) another credit card.

The worst thing is that they (Blue Chip) never informed us of this new policy openly. I should be one rental from another free day but now I am four.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Wow.

I could see the technicalities working at corporate locations, but I'm still not sure how they'd get the info to do all of this from franchises, and the franchises themselves sure are not going to spend hours researching and doing this. No policy bulletins on this have been issued to the individual locations as far as I'm aware.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Just out of curiosity I checked to see how many thousands of points I received from Thrifty to my RBC Points account. Knowing that most Airline loyalty programs get anywhere from 250 to 750, I must be getting at least 1000. And because it is an exclusive arrangement maybe 2000. Are you ready.... 44, 36 & 54 RBC points. I wish I hadn't looked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.