Thrifty Promotions and Discounts

Old Feb 10, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marriott Plat.
Oh I forgot to mention that i booked this rental thru Orbitz if that makes any difference. The weekly rate for a midsize car is $150 a week and now it is over $60 a day!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
It won't hurt to just ask, since they'll just quote you what the difference is--just be sure to specifically tell them that no, you don't want to change anything if they come back and tell you that the price is going to go way up.

It shouldn't matter that it was booked at Orbitz.

Might not hurt to make a second reservation with the correct details so that if something really wacko happens to the first reservation (like they tell you the rate will recalculate to 500% of your booked rate if you return it early and to a different location), you can fall back on the second one, which, while it's bad, might be better than that.

Also, keep checking the rates as the dates get closer. Sometimes they drop if competition gets a little fiercer.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:21 am

I'm going to be renting out of TPA airport the first week of August for a full week and I'd like to get an SUV or minivan. (2 kids plus stroller plus at least 3 large pieces of luggage) I see that great price when using AMEX for $200/week but the code is only good for rentals through March (or May - can't remember which)
I've went ahead and booked an SUV with the 10% off code for now but I anticipate being able to get a better rate when more codes for my timeframe become available. Is this correct thinking? Will there be some weekly deals for SUVs or minivans during the summer in Tampa?
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
Originally Posted by Mecasa
I'm going to be renting out of TPA airport the first week of August for a full week and I'd like to get an SUV or minivan. (2 kids plus stroller plus at least 3 large pieces of luggage) I see that great price when using AMEX for $200/week but the code is only good for rentals through March (or May - can't remember which)
I've went ahead and booked an SUV with the 10% off code for now but I anticipate being able to get a better rate when more codes for my timeframe become available. Is this correct thinking? Will there be some weekly deals for SUVs or minivans during the summer in Tampa?
No idea, but since you are not locked in, just keep checking and if the rates go down, rebook
Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: aa, onepass, skymiles
Goofy Thrifty rates

Found this great rate at THRIFTY, using the code"8COM", for FLL, Apr16-22: $159/wk for Compact,plus taxes.

I made the res, and it accepted my itinerary, even sent me a confirming email. It wasn't til a day later I noticed this rate is only good for rentals thru Mar 29.

Now I wonder if Thrifty will reject the rental when I pick it up in Apr, forcing me to pay a much higher rate. Itried different dates, and found it still offered $159/wk for Compact even in May!

Guess I'll have to call Thrifty and get someone to commit whether this rate applies even though the dates are outside their promo dates.

Scott
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottsd
Found this great rate at THRIFTY, using the code"8COM", for FLL, Apr16-22: $159/wk for Compact,plus taxes.

I made the res, and it accepted my itinerary, even sent me a confirming email. It wasn't til a day later I noticed this rate is only good for rentals thru Mar 29.

Now I wonder if Thrifty will reject the rental when I pick it up in Apr, forcing me to pay a much higher rate. Itried different dates, and found it still offered $159/wk for Compact even in May!

Guess I'll have to call Thrifty and get someone to commit whether this rate applies even though the dates are outside their promo dates.

Scott
If the computer system allowed you to book it, then I wouldn't worry about it. I've never heard of anyone being surprised with a rate change at pick-up due to an expired promotion code (of course, most of the time, expired promotions can't be booked past their expiration date). CSRs don't even really have access to the full T&C of the various promotion codes, so it's almost guaranteed that the agent who rents you the car will not even notice that it's not valid, and their computer system isn't even really set up to flag things like this--you booked your rate, and that's what the system thinks you're gonna pay.

I can't guarantee it won't be changed, but OTOH, questioning it may make things worse for you.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Good News - the Double Blue Chip Rewards promotion has been extended.

https://www.thrifty.com/Specials/BCAX.aspx
Just book and complete a rental between February 1 and May 31, 2008, and instead of earning one credit per rental day, you'll earn TWO when you pay with an American Express Card!
From First Post in thread
BCAX - Earn Double Blue Chip Rewards
Valid February 1-April 30, 2008.
Explore

PS Thanks for a great thread!

Last edited by Explore SE Asia; Mar 22, 2008 at 1:02 pm Reason: Added PS
Old Mar 22, 2008, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
Good News - the Double Blue Chip Rewards promotion has been extended.

https://www.thrifty.com/Specials/BCAX.aspx

From First Post in thread

Explore

PS Thanks for a great thread!
Interesting...now you have to pay with an Amex? I'll have to look into that. (Will add it to the top thread this evening--on my way out now.)
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:13 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Time to kill the ATA Travel Points Reference
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Indeed, thanks. I actually need to go through and add a few more codes that have been released in the last few weeks and delete the expired ones. Will hope to work on that this week. (I have a new respect for ByeByeDelta's upkeep of the Amtrak promo thread--it's more work than it looks!)
Old Apr 15, 2008, 1:13 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Hilton has an amazing offer for E-Advantage Members which is free to join and offering double HHonors base points through May 31.

Then use this membership to rent from Thrifty and receive:
  1. Free mileage in the renting and contiguous states up to 3,000 miles/month.
  2. No additional charge for drivers age 21-25 when renting for company business.
  3. No additional driver charges for company employees.
Hilton Link
Thrifty Link
Old Apr 18, 2008, 4:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Originally Posted by jackal
Indeed, thanks. I actually need to go through and add a few more codes that have been released in the last few weeks and delete the expired ones. Will hope to work on that this week. (I have a new respect for ByeByeDelta's upkeep of the Amtrak promo thread--it's more work than it looks!)
Just a reminder that its still lurking...

Cool intro to renting... as I am not eligible to even rent yet... but could have used a car more then once!

Thanks jackal!
Old Apr 18, 2008, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Just a reminder that its still lurking...

Cool intro to renting... as I am not eligible to even rent yet... but could have used a car more then once!

Thanks jackal!
Ugh, I know...life's been busier than normal. When you see it disappear, you'll know the thread has been updated. (Because of all the copying and pasting and formatting required, I'm gonna have to set aside a good couple of hours with no distractions to overhaul this thread...)

beckoa, what are you doing out and about on the rest of the FT board?! It's not safe out here! You should stay holed up in the nice, calm AS forum where you belong...

(Always cool to run into FT friends in strange FT fora...almost like running into an FT friend in a strange airport! Small world...)
Old Apr 18, 2008, 5:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
beckoa, what are you doing out and about on the rest of the FT board?! It's not safe out here! You should stay holed up in the nice, calm AS forum where you belong...

(Always cool to run into FT friends in strange FT fora...almost like running into an FT friend in a strange airport! Small world...)
Before my Amtrak woes, my #2 was Northwest Worldperks, since I travel them on occasion and enjoy the UG reciprocity. The Alaska Forum I try to help out with on occasion, and enjoy Hawaii too! (Lots but not enough experience on the Islands!) Travel Buzz, SPAM, and a couple others I also try to check out. missydarlin's Dining Buzz is also a savory thread to visit~! So just because you don't get around very much, doesn't mean I can't visit )

BTW... Like the name Thrifty since its the 9th point of the Scout Law~!
Old Apr 18, 2008, 5:22 am

Interesting analysis with the FT Geek Alert...

This forum has potential to become a subclass of OMNI soon

Now to keep OT...

4th day free when using Thrifty Parking

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.