Wiki Posts
Search

MIA Airport Bluechip pickup wasn't offered Platepass

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
MIA Airport Bluechip pickup wasn't offered Platepass

Picked up a rental car this past weekend at the MIA airport Thirfty. Wasn't offered Platepass as a option as I'm a Bluechip member. This was my first time driving in Florida so it was a shock to see all these cashless toll roads.

Needless to say, I looked up afterwards what all these tolls would cost - and while the toll amounts themselves are nominal, the "adminstration fees" that Platepass charges are $15 per toll, up to $105 per rental.

I only found out after the fact that it's possible to prepay tolls with Thrifty for $8.95 a day, but I was never offered this option since I never dealt with any rental counter when picking up my car.

Now I'm waiting for that dreaded Platepass bill and needing to spend time on the phone disputing it.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I just rented a car in Tampa for May, also Blue Chip, and the Plate Pass option was available during the reservation process, where they offer the GPS, child seats, etc. Was that not true for MIA? I think they don't want to "bother" Blue Chips since all our info is supposedly in there already.

You could have also brought it to their attention that you wanted to buy the option.

And just to clarify, you don't "prepay" the tolls, that $8.95 day is IN ADDITION to the cost of the tolls.

I've mapped out routes for our trip around Tampa that we will be avoiding all toll roads, I know in other parts of Florida that is not as easy.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:56 am

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Exclamation

Yeah those plate pass convenience charges are a true cash grab and really piss me off.

It's probably too late for you now but next time skip it completely and set your GPS to "avoid tolls". Saves me a small fortune and it doesn't take me longer to get anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.