Wiki Posts
Search

Charged twice?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 5:56 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Charged twice?

I rented a compact car from Chase Ultimate Rewards for $53--paid in September. This was my first time and I am 23 (subject to those nasty fees...).

When I rented the car this weekend, I gave them the receipt and my confirmation, and I was promised it would be put forth on the total. Looking at my receipt now in the airport, it looks like they charged me $60. No way to tell from my CC as only the deposit is showing now, but is it possible they charged me twice?

I see on my original receipt the verification that I had a "2 day pass." Although, nothing of the sort on my final receipt? Is it possible that this is the $25/day under 24 fee with tax?

Thought I would get some information before I call and complain!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:08 pm

I have no idea healthnut but I hope you did file a complaint! How did it turn out?
Reading over it again I think that the $60 is including the extra taxes.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:54 pm

You wouldn't have had to pay "those nasty fees" if you had used free Hertz Gold Family, hertz.com/goldfamily. A quick search of these forums will explain how it works.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:47 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Sorry I'm a little late getting back!

I sent in a complaint this morning, so we shall see what they say. I wanted to hear on here first whether I was thinking ridiculously or not. Very frustrating as the agent promised me again and again that my CC would not be charged and only used for incidentals. I will get to the bottom of this!

I will look into Hertz! I rarely rent a car so I've never come across this before, but it's good to know there are other options.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:53 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I sent an email, but wanted to follow up with a phone call and get an email address of where I could send my receipts for both the charges with Chase UR Mall and the receipt I received from the agent. Waited on the line for 20 minutes before hanging up.

Do they get back with email responses within a decent time frame?

Looks like they have poor customer service! Thank goodness it's just $60.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:43 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Any reply yet? If you make another call, and don't immediately get an answer, I'd start a dispute with your credit card company.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:57 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Charged twice?

I never got a reply to the complaint, even though they sent me a "case number" and promised to get back to me in 8-11 days. I disputed with Chase at the end of last month and sent them all the proof via receipts. So far they've heard nothing from Thrifty so I assume they've accepted the loss.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by healthnut
I never got a reply to the complaint, even though they sent me a "case number" and promised to get back to me in 8-11 days. I disputed with Chase at the end of last month and sent them all the proof via receipts. So far they've heard nothing from Thrifty so I assume they've accepted the loss.
The $60 is most likely the underage fee + taxes. I agree with Auto Enthusiast that you need to try Hertz next time. Also if you are a USAA member you can avoid the underage fee at Avis, Budget, Enterprise and Hertz.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by healthnut
Looking at my receipt now in the airport, it looks like they charged me $60.

How much is it exactly? (Might be able to tell by breaking out the sales tax amount. If it's $60 even or $60 + tax, it's likely the underage fee.)
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:04 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That was it!

Thanks for the tips. I am a USAA member, so I will do that next time or put my loyalty into Hertz! I wish I would have come to you guys two months ago!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.