Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wrecked Car Can They Ruin My Credit Rating

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Wrecked Car Can They Ruin My Credit Rating

If this where to happen and I disputed any of the charges my personal insurance would not pay and call b.s. on (diminished value, loss of use, admin fees) can they pop my credit rating bad without a legal judgement first.

Anyone encountered this.

P.S. most auto insurance will not cover these. only one that I ever found that did was Metlife and I no longer have them.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Fallguy007
If this where to happen and I disputed any of the charges my personal insurance would not pay and call b.s. on (diminished value, loss of use, admin fees) can they pop my credit rating bad without a legal judgement first.

Anyone encountered this.

P.S. most auto insurance will not cover these. only one that I ever found that did was Metlife and I no longer have them.
Yes. They can and will send your bad debt over to a collections agency.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Realize I can go to collections but dont they have to get a legal judgement first before they harm my credit?

regards,
Old Jul 9, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by Fallguy007

Anyone encountered this.

Without going into the details, our experience with Thrifty after a small-dollar disputed incident made me swear them off forever.

Out of the blue and before any written contact was make Mrs. Jayer got a very aggressive and threatening call demanding immediate over the phone payment by their choice of credit cards or the caller would see to it that the credit record was dinged and we were blacklisted from ever renting a car again. Insurance would have paid more if they would have documented loss of use, which they refused to even try and provide, or waive since they didn't want to document.

We rent 30 cars a year and decided to pay them to go away, which I suppose amounts to caving in to a bully. The absurd part is the amount they were going nuclear over was no more than they would make off of a next rental, which is now quite unlikely to ever happen.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jayer
Without going into the details, our experience with Thrifty after a small-dollar disputed incident made me swear them off forever.

Out of the blue and before any written contact was make Mrs. Jayer got a very aggressive and threatening call demanding immediate over the phone payment by their choice of credit cards or the caller would see to it that the credit record was dinged and we were blacklisted from ever renting a car again. Insurance would have paid more if they would have documented loss of use, which they refused to even try and provide, or waive since they didn't want to document.

We rent 30 cars a year and decided to pay them to go away, which I suppose amounts to caving in to a bully. The absurd part is the amount they were going nuclear over was no more than they would make off of a next rental, which is now quite unlikely to ever happen.
Two points:

1) Actually, technically, they DID have a written contract. You signed it when you picked up your car.

2) Was this a franchised location? If so, I have heard there are a few bad-apple franchise owners out there. If this were the case, I've never heard of such a thing happening at a corporate store, and so I would suggest you feel quite comfortable renting from corporate locations and perhaps limit your self-imposed restriction to franchised locations.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
If you reread the post, I wrote "written contact", not "contract", meaning the first we heard from them was a call demanding immediate payment over the phone without first even establishing the caller's identity. The inquisitor was in Tulsa working for corporate. Just not a good business decision after maybe 100 rentals this decade over a $100 trim part even the check-in agent thought was a fall off from use, not incident damage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.