Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated Wild Card Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Anyone with wild card experience recently for seattle (SEA)? We've just reserved a wild card rental for labor day weekend.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by docr775
It was a 2009 with about 19K miles on it. This week in Indianapolis for a wild card I had a Chevy Equinox LT with 185 miles. It got about 27+ mpg while driving 70+ with the A/C on, XM radio and backup camera.^

They still had some Camry's on the lot, but it looks like they made a very large purchase of Equinoxes.
I like Equinoxes, fairly comfortable.

Last edited by farahmorales; Aug 18, 2010 at 12:34 pm
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Any feeling for summer in San Diego? My bet is 1) no convertibles and 2) no mid size cars given the price of gas?

WC is running about $24.00 a day (fully loaded).
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ITRADE
Any feeling for summer in San Diego? My bet is 1) no convertibles and 2) no mid size cars given the price of gas?

WC is running about $24.00 a day (fully loaded).
Probably not bad assumptions.

Then again, rental agencies are ordering more midsize cars than ever because they are so popular, so it is entirely possible they may have lots of extras.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA, BA, DL, SPG and Marriott
CMH Columbus, OH. Went for the wild card p/u on Thursday for 2 days. $16.49 per day or $52.51 all in. What have you got?

Edit: Ended up getting a Grand Marquis LS for $10 more per day.

Last edited by 91lsc; Nov 1, 2010 at 4:08 pm
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:19 am

IND again, brand new (7 miles on the odometer) almost fully loaded - no navigation system, 4x4 Ford Explorer. The heated seats felt good in the morning when the temperature was 33F.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docr775
IND again, brand new (7 miles on the odometer) almost fully loaded - no navigation system, 4x4 Ford Explorer. The heated seats felt good in the morning when the temperature was 33F.
Ooh! You did better than my National Executive Selection rental on Monday, where I got a Ford Explorer XLT with 7,900 miles and no extra options (except 4x4)!

Updated the first post to reflect your addition.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:58 am

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Arrived at the LIH station in Kauai yesterday, and manager offered me minivan or Grand Marquis for wildcard. I was disappointed in this, especially considering the price of gas in Hawaii. Manager wouldn't even offer me a Ford Focus or economy car from the lot He kept saying "today is minivan day for Wildcard reservations". After 5 minutes of polite discussion, I headed next door to Avis where I used my backup reservation for a few dollars more (but better car).

This may be my last Wildcard experience for a while....
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dave_SEA
Arrived at the LIH station in Kauai yesterday, and manager offered me minivan or Grand Marquis for wildcard. I was disappointed in this, especially considering the price of gas in Hawaii. Manager wouldn't even offer me a Ford Focus or economy car from the lot He kept saying "today is minivan day for Wildcard reservations". After 5 minutes of polite discussion, I headed next door to Avis where I used my backup reservation for a few dollars more (but better car).

This may be my last Wildcard experience for a while....
Well, you were warned fairly this could be the case, so I'm not sure how you could be disappointed...

FWIW, I love that Thrifty in KOA often has the minivan as the Wild Card. It makes staying there cheaply by car-camping a lot more comfortable. Seriously, with the Stow-N-Go seating in the Town and Countries, you can roll the seats in the floor and lie down in the back and be as comfortable as you would be in a tent!

Last edited by jackal; May 10, 2011 at 11:42 pm
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
Well, you were warned fairly this could be the case, so I'm not sure how you could be disappointed...

FWIW, I love that Thrifty in Hawaii often has the minivan as the Wild Card. It makes staying there cheaply by car-camping a lot more comfortable. Seriously, with the Stow-N-Go seating in the Town and Countries, you can roll the seats in the floor and lie down in the back and be as comfortable as you would be in a tent!
...well if one was there long enough to sleep

ot/ but wish there was a ground on the power of those vans... two prongs is not enough...
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:01 am

IAD 12/19-21, wild card rate of $23.75 a day, I had a choice between 4 Ford Fusion and 4 Hunday Sonata. I picked a white, almost fully loaded Fusion (no heated seats, no navigation) with 8K miles.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, national executive elite,
XNA Bentonville, Ar 12/23-12/26 was given a choice of Corolla, Grand Marquis, or Explorer-Eddie Bauer. I took the Explorer.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:50 am

Anyone have any experience with the Wild Card quote being higher than the Mid-Size quote? It very explicitly says "Rates lower than a Mid-size" in the rate description for Wild Card. I called and got the exact same quotes, and the rep tried to tell me something about it being a special, even when I read him the verbiage. This is in LAS, Feb 15 - 20.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alamedaguy
Anyone have any experience with the Wild Card quote being higher than the Mid-Size quote? It very explicitly says "Rates lower than a Mid-size" in the rate description for Wild Card. I called and got the exact same quotes, and the rep tried to tell me something about it being a special, even when I read him the verbiage. This is in LAS, Feb 15 - 20.
I just did a check at LAS for 2/15-2/20 and am showing the Wild at $120.39/week and the mid at $124.11/week.

Could have just been a temporary rate glitch or the rates hadn't been fully updated. (Rates change constantly, sometimes even several times per day.)
Old Feb 6, 2011, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by jackal
I just did a check at LAS for 2/15-2/20 and am showing the Wild at $120.39/week and the mid at $124.11/week.

Could have just been a temporary rate glitch or the rates hadn't been fully updated. (Rates change constantly, sometimes even several times per day.)
How funny. I see your rates for 9am to 9am, but different rates (with the discrepancy) from 10pm to 7pm. Thanks for looking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.