The Consolidated Wild Card Thread

Old Oct 19, 2009, 7:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by jackal
Very nice! I got a Mustang V6 convertible at CLT few years ago and wasn't all that impressed. I didn't know Thrifty had any V8s kicking around! That'd make a world of difference.

Be sure to post your speeding ticket count!

(The first thread has been updated.)
The difference between the two is night and day...

The V6 sounds like a tractor, not surprising considering it's the same engine that made it's debut in the Ford Aerostar. The Modular V8 has a much more throaty sound, and is way better suited to the Mustang. I understand the need for Mustang to have an economy model, but a nicer, more powerful V6 (like the 3.5 litre from the current Taurus/Lincolns) would be nice.

I got a GT coupe for the week from National in Toronto this past summer. It's a wonder I didn't get nailed for speeding, especially with Ontario's FEROCIOUS excess speed laws. If you're caught at more than 50 km/h over the posted limit, you get a fine of $2,000-$10,000 and can face having your license and/or car confiscated for up to 7 days. Officers have discretion to impose that at roadside too.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:53 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'm a new blue chip member and did the Wild Car thing at SNA last week.

On arrival, I was given the choice of a Ford Escape (small SUV) or Kia minivan. Took the Escape and it was great--2,000 miles and very new. Excellent price!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: AT Elite, US Silver, MR Silver, HH Gold, BA Blue
Anyone had any Wild Car experiences at MCO lately? I booked for 1/29 - 2/6/10, and really rolling the dice here with a family of 5.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: hardly any
Wild Car at PBI

The other week, late October, at PBI West Palm Beach FL airport, my Wild Car reservation got me a Mercury Grand Marquis.

A few days earlier, I had called in my Blue Chip card number to the location. Perhaps that helped.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by JohnWM
The other week, late October, at PBI West Palm Beach FL airport, my Wild Car reservation got me a Mercury Grand Marquis.

A few days earlier, I had called in my Blue Chip card number to the location. Perhaps that helped.
Same as you got last time!

Updated the first post in the thread.

Don't know that your Blue Chip number had anything to do with it, though it's possible there was a mild influence.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:16 pm

Car rental at LAS

In 2001, I checked in at the LAS airport car rental (don't remember which company). I politely asked the desk clerk if a free upgrade from my compact was available. She said there is never a free upgrade in Vegas and tried the darnest to sell me an upgrade which I declined a couple of times.

The shuttle picked me up and dropped me right at the car lot and told me where I could find my car. I looked up and down the aisle and didn't see a compact and asked the driver where was my compact. He replied that they haven't had a compact available for a few months and I was being upgraded to a full size car ( Chyrsler Intrepid).

Last year, I had a booking at Thrifty's for a wild card car but I really needed to a minivan. Since I am a blue chip member, I walked straight to the back where the cars are. I asked the guy whether a free upgrade was possible and again he said there is no free upgrade in Vegas. I was just about to offer him a $20 bill when I noticed a sign that said today's wild card car was a minivan. Just my luck. I think in general, there are lots of minivans in Vegas. Not sure if the wild card car really changes daily and I was just lucky.

Anyways, I am going back next week and I have both a wild card car and a minivan booked. If the wild card car is not a minivan, I hope I can simply use my minivan reservation. Hopefully Thrifty's doesn't notice I have 2 reservations (maybe I should have done one in my wife's name) and doesn't mind what I did.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Speedy12
In 2001, I checked in at the LAS airport car rental (don't remember which company). I politely asked the desk clerk if a free upgrade from my compact was available. She said there is never a free upgrade in Vegas and tried the darnest to sell me an upgrade which I declined a couple of times.

The shuttle picked me up and dropped me right at the car lot and told me where I could find my car. I looked up and down the aisle and didn't see a compact and asked the driver where was my compact. He replied that they haven't had a compact available for a few months and I was being upgraded to a full size car ( Chyrsler Intrepid).

Last year, I had a booking at Thrifty's for a wild card car but I really needed to a minivan. Since I am a blue chip member, I walked straight to the back where the cars are. I asked the guy whether a free upgrade was possible and again he said there is no free upgrade in Vegas. I was just about to offer him a $20 bill when I noticed a sign that said today's wild card car was a minivan. Just my luck. I think in general, there are lots of minivans in Vegas. Not sure if the wild card car really changes daily and I was just lucky.

Anyways, I am going back next week and I have both a wild card car and a minivan booked. If the wild card car is not a minivan, I hope I can simply use my minivan reservation. Hopefully Thrifty's doesn't notice I have 2 reservations (maybe I should have done one in my wife's name) and doesn't mind what I did.
Never ask for a free upgrade without some sort of legitimate reason (a coupon or something) or packaging it with something else. Asking for a free upgrade "just because" will just make the sales agent--who is not only commissioned on upgrades but also usually works on a yield system where a non-sale will actually penalize them--think you're either a) a cheap ...tard or freeloader, b) arrogant, or c) a moron. Either way, they'll think of you as a pest and probably go out of their way, then, to deliberately not put you into what you want without charging you for it, even if you otherwise would have gotten a free upgrade because they were out (or nearly out) of your reserved size. You wouldn't go to a mechanic and say, "Do you have any free oil changes?" You'd be laughed out of the office.

If you want to get a deal, you have to think like a salesperson and anticipate what he/she wants. They want a sale and the highest price for it. You want something and to get it for the lowest price possible. So, throw them a bone--tell them you'll buy a tank of prepaid gas if they can throw in a free upgrade to a minivan. That particular one is my favorite: it gets me something I can actually get use and value out of (a tank of gas). Or even better: wait until they offer everything, sound interested in their offers (politely declining as you want), and then, when they ask about gas, say, "You know, maybe I'll take a tank of prepaid gas if you can throw in a free upgrade to a minivan." It's the same thing at the auto mechanic: they try to sell you on a bunch of stuff that needs fixing--so you play along, and at the end, say, "Well, maybe I'll get my cooling system flushed if you can throw in a free oil change."

There are certain things you should NEVER do to someone in a service industry sales position who has power over the kind of service you receive (hotel clerks, rental car sales agents, airline gate agents, car salespeople, dealership service writers, etc.--I'm not talking about McDonald's order takers)--things like walking up like you own the place and demanding something, cutting off the agent's sales offers or insulting them by saying "I don't want any of your expensive/rip-off/worthless [whatever they're selling]," and, yes, asking for things for free.

Now, if you've built a great rapport with the agent and the agent is thinking, "This guy is cool," sometimes you can get away with asking at the end (after you've built all that rapport) for something a little nicer. Heck, sometimes they'll even just offer you something because they like you (that happened with me in CLT--I ended up getting a Ford Mustang convertible for free because the agent and I had such a good time chatting--well, I also took full coverage and prepaid gas, but still...). But just walking up and asking if you can get something for free out of the blue is definitely a turn-off to those in service/sales positions.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:51 pm

LAX Jan 3 - wild car selection - pick from section 3 which featured about 12 vehicles, a mix of Sonatas and PT Cruisers. I picked a Sonata with XM radio.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:25 pm

Reno 1/24 - 1/26

Pick a car option - I had a choice between 5 Chrysler 300 and a Chrysler Sebring convertible. Taking in consideration that the high would only hit 42F, I chose a 300.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docr775
LAX Jan 3 - wild car selection - pick from section 3 which featured about 12 vehicles, a mix of Sonatas and PT Cruisers. I picked a Sonata with XM radio.
Pick a car option - I had a choice between 5 Chrysler 300 and a Chrysler Sebring convertible. Taking in consideration that the high would only hit 42F, I chose a 300.
Thanks--updated the first post!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:00 pm

IND 1/31-2/3

Since the main midsize available here was a Camry, I wondered what they would have available. This time they had a selection of Chevy Malibus and Ford SUVs. I ended up with a Ford Expedition. I was going to turn it back in and get something smaller, but it only had 1900 miles on board and heated leather seats plus all the other bells and gadgets. I decided to suffer and take it. Lousy gas mileage but extremely comfortable in these 19F mornings in SouthWest Indiana.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:09 pm

IND again 6/6 to 6/9. I had a choice between a Mercury Grand Marquis or a Chevy Traverse. I was surprised that the big Mercury got about 25 mpg at 70 mph, with the AC going driving through rolling hills. Very nice ride.

Also I just realized that booking through FatWallet gives you 4% cash back.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

IND again 6/6 to 6/9. I had a choice between a Mercury Grand Marquis or a Chevy Traverse. I was surprised that the big Mercury got about 25 mpg at 70 mph, with the AC going driving through rolling hills. Very nice ride.

Also I just realized that booking through FatWallet gives you 4% cash back.
Thanks--post has been updated!

How old was the Grand Marquis? Now that they quit making the Crown Vic, are they still making the Grand Marquis, or was it an older car?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Thanks--post has been updated!

How old was the Grand Marquis? Now that they quit making the Crown Vic, are they still making the Grand Marquis, or was it an older car?
It was a 2009 with about 19K miles on it. This week in Indianapolis for a wild card I had a Chevy Equinox LT with 185 miles. It got about 27+ mpg while driving 70+ with the A/C on, XM radio and backup camera.^

They still had some Camry's on the lot, but it looks like they made a very large purchase of Equinoxes.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It was a 2009 with about 19K miles on it. This week in Indianapolis for a wild card I had a Chevy Equinox LT with 185 miles. It got about 27+ mpg while driving 70+ with the A/C on, XM radio and backup camera.^

They still had some Camry's on the lot, but it looks like they made a very large purchase of Equinoxes.
Nice find! I've driven Equinoxes before, and they're very nice. Great to get such a new one!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.