FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty | Blue Chip Rewards (closed to posting) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thrifty-blue-chip-rewards-closed-posting-425/)
-   -   Thrifty Locations to Avoid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thrifty-blue-chip-rewards-closed-posting/520295-thrifty-locations-avoid.html)

cullen24 Jan 29, 2006 6:52 am

Thrifty Locations to Avoid

Thrifty seems to be consistently cheaper than the other companies, but in some cities, especially larger ones, you can forget about a speedy shuttle and check in. I never use Thrifty at DCA, IAD and especially SJU. Id rather pay 50$ more than to waste 2 hours on either side of my flight waiting for processing even with a Blue Chip membership.

Any other locations to avoid?

craz Jan 30, 2006 3:04 pm

MCO!!!

Its been a corp place for the past few yrs. But you sure can fool me, still get the same LOUSY service, as when it was a Franchise

The worst part is they now have an additional Parking lot for Airport Parking, so the Shuttle will 1st drop off the people who have parked their cars before dropping off the Renters, same on the way back to the airport, if there are people who entered the parking lot then the Shuttle Van will leave the Rental Facility and go to the parking lot before heading to the Airport.

thats besides the fact that they NEVER have your Contract ready even when the driver calls it in to the Blue Chp Counter.

When it happened weeks in a row , I simply told the guy no problem , Then I get my 1st ady free as per Blue Chip, he wasnt happy and basically told me Never to come back again. The previous week CS sent me a $25 off Voucher

cullen24 Jan 31, 2006 5:56 am

I waited 2 hours at SJU once and there was no one else in line. Told me that they were attending to the cars

GWU ESIA STUDENT Jan 31, 2006 3:15 pm

DCA. What a bunch of morons; they couldn't find their rearend holes with a roadmap. Both times I have rented their it took them close to an hour to get the vehicle ready; without a line in front of me. I would never rent from them again except for the fact that they have the GWU contract.

jayer Feb 3, 2006 2:57 pm

Kansas City if the price of alternative is anywhere close. Which sometimes it is not. Its off airport and more of a parking business than a car rental, and it shows in who is served with priority. Allow much time for return.

mdc57 Feb 3, 2006 3:16 pm

ANC downtown in the winter as they park the ready vehicles with the drivers' doors against the piles of plowed snow. :rolleyes:

ElmhurstNick Feb 4, 2006 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
Kansas City if the price of alternative is anywhere close. Which sometimes it is not. Its off airport and more of a parking business than a car rental, and it shows in who is served with priority. Allow much time for return.

Same with Boston, especially if you're planning on using I-90 - the "in terminal" lots are near the I-90 entrance, Thrifty is 2 miles in the other direction. I've rented from them twice, and neither time did they have what I rented.

ElmhurstNick Feb 4, 2006 7:37 pm

I wouldn't rent from the ORD location. I used to park my car there, and they treated renters really badly, including a good amount of bait and switch. Their parking jockeys could never find my car, so eventually I moved my business to Avistar across the street.

khkchan Feb 6, 2006 12:29 pm

my treatment at SAN was not up to the standard as I expected. Returned car at 6:30am, no one in the return lot; went into the booth; the agent just didn't want to work and asked me to wait in the return lot. :eek:

ETStar Feb 9, 2006 9:45 pm

The guy at IAD told me "computers lie" when I showed him a printout stating that my reservation was for a standard car, and on the confirmation screen was printed "Dodge Stratus" in bold. He wanted to pass on an unwanted minivan, which I refused to take. Then gave me a convertible, which I did not know about until I got to the vehicle, and returned since the back seat room was not adequate enough for my party. More attitude and some 20 minutes later, same guy magically brings a Dodge Stratus from the back lot.

Also worth adding that Thrifty has agreements in place at IAD to bring in vehicles from National car rental next door if it's out of cars. Either way, will not rent from there anymore.

miles_kay Feb 18, 2006 6:02 pm

RDU & BOS... Avoid Avoid Avoid!!!

jan_believes Feb 22, 2006 7:47 pm

Ditto!!!

Originally Posted by craz
MCO!!!

Its been a corp place for the past few yrs. But you sure can fool me, still get the same LOUSY service, as when it was a Franchise

The worst part is they now have an additional Parking lot for Airport Parking, so the Shuttle will 1st drop off the people who have parked their cars before dropping off the Renters, same on the way back to the airport, if there are people who entered the parking lot then the Shuttle Van will leave the Rental Facility and go to the parking lot before heading to the Airport.

thats besides the fact that they NEVER have your Contract ready even when the driver calls it in to the Blue Chp Counter.

When it happened weeks in a row , I simply told the guy no problem , Then I get my 1st ady free as per Blue Chip, he wasnt happy and basically told me Never to come back again. The previous week CS sent me a $25 off Voucher

-------------------------------------
Orlando first came to mind when I checked this topic....

jan_believes Feb 22, 2006 7:54 pm

You're right about DCA, too

The poor military/govt people are stuck with it if it's cheapest.

Other places that are not so good include BWI, Houston, and even SAT where I hope to be moving to in the summer.

I should say where the good Thrifty locations are....

BNA (Nashville). Tulsa was ok except they took advantage of me in that they charged me a higher rate because I was maybe 3 hours early for pickup.

PVD is pretty good, too. They have improved over time.

BOS is way off site. Hard to get to from the airport.

Will add more later as I think about it..... ;)

PaulasPain Feb 24, 2006 7:22 am

saw the title and instantly thought of MCO. well at least they're consistent.

Facevalue Feb 26, 2006 9:00 pm

Wow....why does any one rent from Thrifty?