Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thrifty Locations to Avoid

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2008, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
I rented from Thrifty on Tuesday at MCO and returned it today: no real complaints (granted I only rent cars a handful of times a year). They were somewhat backed up at the security gate leaving but only took a few minutes to clear. They were adequately stocked at rental counter with around 8 agents working at noon. No problems today during return either. Shuttles were frequent and mine departed about 2 minutes after me and the only other passenger boarded. My 3 day, 1 hour rental of a Dodge Calibre cost a little over $42 and netted 800 Skymiles. Word of warning to anyone returning a rental off-site at MCO, fill up a few miles away. The LEE VISTA SUNOCO across from the Hertz and Thrifty lots were charging $4.89 a gallon (over $1 more than I saw anywhere else while there) and their business was brisk.
Old May 4, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: UA1P on my way to 1K this year,DL GOLD,HH GOLD,*WOOD, segment king of cos
^^^ i have been thrifty free since june of 1999. rented at lax and if it is still there your car is in a old warehouse. arrived with 2 kids in a stroller and one walking, no help from anyone(didnt expect actually) how can anyone really do a inspection of the car in a dimmly lit place like that? drove from lax to huntington beach and left the parked in the inlaws driveway for 3 days. returned to lax and was told there was damage on the bottom of the right bumper, disputed it and ended up having to get amex in on it as my ins declined it, was a mess and the thrifty people at lax were horrible.
Old May 9, 2008, 7:14 am

LAX Thrifty

Earlier this year, my business partner and I rented a convertible at LAX from Thrifty. Due to weather, we never put the top down.

Upon return, the guy checking us in (yes, at the warehouse) went right to the trunk, opened it, and said,
"Where is the part that goes here?"

We looked at each other with blank stares, then back at him, "What part?"

"The part that belongs in the trunk for the convertible."

Again, "What part are you talking about? We didn't even put the top down."

He promptly filled out a claim form that asked for insurance info and all of that, an listed a nondescript part missing. He couldn't even identify the name of the part on the paper.

We walked to the Blue Chip counter and I said, "I have no idea what he's talking about, but we've got a plane to catch and I'm not filling this out."

She took it to her manager, who said that was fine...

It felt like a scam, and likely is...buyer beware...
Old May 14, 2008, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jeeves
LAX: I use to tolerate their less than stellar service but now they are heading towards the avoid list. The pick up shuttle is real hit or miss. 5 minutes one day, 20 minutes the next.

The Blue Chip line is kind of a joke. There are usually a couple of people ahead of you and when you get to the counter they seem to end up doing all the same reservation stuff that you encounter in the regular line. All of the counter people are worn down. Never a smile or greeting. Reminds you of the DMV. The last time I was there they had shut down the Blue Chip line. Lots of unhappy people that day.

If they didn't offer such low rates, I wouldn't be tempted.

OAK is my favorite. SNA is okay.
Never again at SNA. Never. 45 minutes to get out as a Blue Chip on a slow Monday afternoon--it's not that we don't have cars, we just don't have your car. Nothing prepped in advance. Twice handed the keys and was called back--sorry, that's not yours.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 7:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bbison
Never again at SNA. Never. 45 minutes to get out as a Blue Chip on a slow Monday afternoon--it's not that we don't have cars, we just don't have your car. Nothing prepped in advance. Twice handed the keys and was called back--sorry, that's not yours.
I had a similar experience at SNA in October. Picking up my car at SNA this past Thursday was much easier. However, as I started to back out of the stall, someone opened the passenger door and said "Are you trying to take my car?" Apparently, he had been given the same car. We went back to the office in the garage, and the agent told me the car was mine, even though he had a contract for the same car! How can two people have contracts for the same car?

About 10 miles from SNA, the "check engine" light came on. The car had 1444 miles on the odometer at that time. When I got to the hotel, I called, waited on hold for about 15 minutes, and was finally told that there was a note in the record that there was a problem with the check engine light. I suggested that it might be a good idea to let customers know about the problem before giving them the car.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Add SAN to the list. I think they are only using one shuttle to/from the airport. I waited 27 minutes for a shuttle from Terminal 2. After 10 minutes, when I had not only seen multiple Hertz and Avis, but also multiple Dollar, Budget, and Alamo shuttles pass by, I called the location to see what was up. The guy on the other end blamed it on road construction, saying that none of the other companies' shuttles had to deal with it. Yet, Thrifty is between Dollar and Budget. I called again twice and the call was not answered.

When I finally arrived at the facility, I mentioned the slow shuttle to the agent, who apologized and offered me an upsell! I am a Blue Chip member, but he then had to decide what to give me. He went out to the lot and came back a few minutes later and said, "You have a great car in stall 6," and chuckled. It was a PT Cruiser. It took 49 minutes from arrival at the courtesy shuttle area until I got my car.

Returning the car was quick, but I had to wait 16 minutes for a shuttle back to the airport. The customers picked up at Terminal 1 said they had been waiting for more than 20 minutes, suggesting that what I experienced waiting for a shuttle to the facility was not an isolated incident.

In the future, I will avoid Thrifty at SAN, regardless of how low their rates may be.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 6:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
My Experiences

YVR - Great staff and decent cars, fast processing

YEG - Counter robots, didn't understand how my corporate account worked (I don't get charged the underage fee), gave me a Caliber unvacuumed with garbage in it

YYZ - Also didn't know about the underage fee, made a huge fuss when I presented a $15 off coupon after the rental went out (and subsequently ended up giving me $30 off )

Toronto Eaton Centre - AVOID, rude rep, charged me the underage fee, authorized my card for more than the T&C's stated, and took 20 mins to get me on my way with NO-ONE else there but the two of us, when I compplained about the filthy Sebring he said that cars were cleaned elsewhere (it was the middle of summer), and then he shook the floormat out and said "There you go buddy". Never went with Thrifty in the GTA again, except now National isn't much better...
Old Jan 17, 2009, 9:44 pm

Well, if you fly into PDX late at night...

And you're waiting for the Thrifty shuttle, I suggest not. Call them, and if you need the direct number, go to the information booth outside and they'll call for you. Otherwise, you're gonna be waiting a loooooong time...

Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
Add SAN to the list. I think they are only using one shuttle to/from the airport. I waited 27 minutes for a shuttle from Terminal 2. After 10 minutes, when I had not only seen multiple Hertz and Avis, but also multiple Dollar, Budget, and Alamo shuttles pass by, I called the location to see what was up. The guy on the other end blamed it on road construction, saying that none of the other companies' shuttles had to deal with it. Yet, Thrifty is between Dollar and Budget. I called again twice and the call was not answered.

When I finally arrived at the facility, I mentioned the slow shuttle to the agent, who apologized and offered me an upsell! I am a Blue Chip member, but he then had to decide what to give me. He went out to the lot and came back a few minutes later and said, "You have a great car in stall 6," and chuckled. It was a PT Cruiser. It took 49 minutes from arrival at the courtesy shuttle area until I got my car.

Returning the car was quick, but I had to wait 16 minutes for a shuttle back to the airport. The customers picked up at Terminal 1 said they had been waiting for more than 20 minutes, suggesting that what I experienced waiting for a shuttle to the facility was not an isolated incident.

In the future, I will avoid Thrifty at SAN, regardless of how low their rates may be.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 8:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by randix
And you're waiting for the Thrifty shuttle, I suggest not. Call them, and if you need the direct number, go to the information booth outside and they'll call for you. Otherwise, you're gonna be waiting a loooooong time...
Is that for SAN or PDX? I did call a few times at SAN and was given the construction excuse.

Incidentally, I have used Thrifty at PDX once (Jan 2007). I didn't have to wait long for the shuttle, but once I got to the facility, there was quite a long wait.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
I rent often with Thrifty and have never had any issues. I guess it depends on the location.

Overall I get good value for money with Thrifty! Face it, all rental companies now have cars with 20K - 40K miles on them. What is the use in paying top dollar to Hertz for a Hyundai with 25K on it when you can get a Dodge with 25K at Thrifty for half the price.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:50 pm

PDX

Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
Is that for SAN or PDX? I did call a few times at SAN and was given the construction excuse.

Incidentally, I have used Thrifty at PDX once (Jan 2007). I didn't have to wait long for the shuttle, but once I got to the facility, there was quite a long wait.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 7:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
I rent often with Thrifty and have never had any issues. I guess it depends on the location.

Overall I get good value for money with Thrifty! Face it, all rental companies now have cars with 20K - 40K miles on them. What is the use in paying top dollar to Hertz for a Hyundai with 25K on it when you can get a Dodge with 25K at Thrifty for half the price.
That's a very valid point. For a period of time Thrifty was a value leader but in a "you get what you pay for" sense. Now everyone has come to adopt Thrifty's stances in a number of areas, such as keeping cars longer and downsizing categories (e.g. Corolla as an intermediate). With everybody more or less in step, it becomes a question of price again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.