Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Thrifty | Blue Chip Rewards (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Hiring a Dodge Charger from Thrifty - Ipod connectivity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of hiring a Dodge Charger from Thrifty. I'm hiring one very soon at ATL and as its going to be used for a 5hour road trip I wanted to know if there is any auxilary connections in the basic models for eg.ipod/mp3 player.

From reading i've found its the basic 2.7L model but it seems to be a bit of hit and miss what radio you get!!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Dodge radios (I unfortunately have one) all have the Aux input, even the base radios.

The sound may not be great, but you can connect an ipod using a 3.5mm stereo cable.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Perfect - thanks so much for the quick reply!
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by billybob123
The sound may not be great
Actually, in my experience, the stock radios in Chrysler products are among the better-sounding stock systems available in any car. They beat all of the Asian cars hands-down for clarity and punchy bass--I'd MUCH rather drive a Charger than a Camry, and a good chunk of that is the audio quality from the stock radio system.

GM and Ford used to be way behind Chrysler but are coming much closer with the last couple of model years, but stock Chrysler systems still (IMHO) beat out the domestic and Asian competition.

Premium-trim factory-installed co-branded systems (Infinify, Harmon/Kardon, Alpine, Boston Acoustics, Bose, etc.) are a different breed, but even then, I'd say one of my all-time favorite OEM systems was the Boston Acoustics one installed in the early Chrysler 300C. Even the slightly-scaled-down Boston system available in the premium trim 300s, Chargers, and Sebrings was excellent. (I haven't had a chance to listen to the Alpine system in the new 300C.)

Can't speak much to European sedans, but at least in comparing Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep to GM, Ford, and a plethora of Japanese and Korean cars, I can vouch that the Charger is actually one of the best.

Oh, and OP: IME, most rental Chargers do come with the 3.5L, which makes a WORLD of difference than the anemic 2.7L. If you get out to the lot and discover you did get assigned one with a 2.7, check around the lot for one with a 3.5. Most Chargers with 3.5s have the silver "3.5L High Output" badge on the side of the car just behind the front wheel well, but not all do...so feel free to pop a few hoods around the lot and look. (I've done it myself. )

One note, though: the website may indicate you're getting a Charger, but you can never quite rely on that to be completely accurate. I've seen a LOT more non-Chrysler products on Thrifty lots lately. A fullsize is as likely to be a Taurus or Impala as a Charger. The new-style Taurus (2010+) looks nice, but I haven't had a chance to road-test it yet. The Impala is sporty but blah. The Charger seems to be a love/hate thing: some people hate the handling and rear visibility, but I think the suspension is plush (can't feel the ever-present potholes up here on the roads of Alaska in a Charger) and the interior comfortable. Oh, and it has a good audio system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.