25 hours equals two FF credits?

Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
25 hours equals two FF credits?

My car rental was originally for two days but I returned the car early and was charged 1 day + 1 hour. However, I was charged 2 days worth of FF fees ($1.50/day). Any bets on whether or not I will get two days worth of frequent flier credits? I booked a rate that gets double Southwest credit for rentals of two or more days.

Now I'm wondering if I can book a car for 1 hour and get a credit! The 1 hour charge was only $6! (The one day charge was $16).
Old Dec 22, 2010, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by skylane
My car rental was originally for two days but I returned the car early and was charged 1 day + 1 hour. However, I was charged 2 days worth of FF fees ($1.50/day). Any bets on whether or not I will get two days worth of frequent flier credits? I booked a rate that gets double Southwest credit for rentals of two or more days.

Now I'm wondering if I can book a car for 1 hour and get a credit! The 1 hour charge was only $6! (The one day charge was $16).
You could book for 1 hour and get a cheaper rate than one day? I've NEVER seen that to be the case.

All rentals are for a minimum of 24 hours.

The only thing I've ever seen is a manager telling a customer he would manually discount a rental if it were brought back within six hours, but the computer systems are not set up to deal with shorter-than-24-hour rates.

If you can find another example of a 1-hour rate, I'd be curious to pull that rate up on a real GDS (or on Travelocity's site, which allows you to load the full T&C on the rate from the GDS) and see what the qualifications are.

As to your original question, I've actually never been sure. I've always suspected you'd get two days of credit but have never tested it.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:34 am

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by skylane
My car rental was originally for two days but I returned the car early and was charged 1 day + 1 hour.
How much was the 1 hour? I have tried to return rental cars in the past where the hourly rate was a significant portion of the daily rate. On the occasions when it was for work I asked for a discount since I had to return the vehicle to catch a flight. (Sometimes got discount, other times not.) For personal rentals I usually just kept the vehicle for the remaining time unless I had to catch a flight.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Thrifty not worth claiming miles

I forgot to submit my MP number for my rental, and went online to see how to do so. To my surprise I found there is a fee.

7 day rental=$7 in fees
500 miles=$10-15 in value

net $3-5

Conclusion : not really worth filling out the paperwork to make the claim

A one day rental earns 50 miles, which is about break even for the $1/day charge.

Thrifty will collect a frequent flyer surcharge of $0.95 per day at time of rental, to offset a portion of Thrifty's annual cost of participation in this frequent flyer program.
http://www.thrifty.com/TravelCenter/...dAirlines.aspx

EDIT: I realized this is in the wrong place, but can't find a "delete" button, otherwise I would cut and paste it into a new thread.
Old May 3, 2011, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
I forgot to submit my MP number for my rental, and went online to see how to do so. To my surprise I found there is a fee.

7 day rental=$7 in fees
500 miles=$10-15 in value

net $3-5

Conclusion : not really worth filling out the paperwork to make the claim

A one day rental earns 50 miles, which is about break even for the $1/day charge.

Thrifty will collect a frequent flyer surcharge of $0.95 per day at time of rental, to offset a portion of Thrifty's annual cost of participation in this frequent flyer program.
http://www.thrifty.com/TravelCenter/...dAirlines.aspx

EDIT: I realized this is in the wrong place, but can't find a "delete" button, otherwise I would cut and paste it into a new thread.
Ive found that if you call up customer relations (with any Car rental comp) that they willsend the Miles in and tell you 1st theres a fee of $.xx per day. Ive yet to have been charged a dime when they did that

thats said with Thrifty I dont take reg miles but Thrifty credit instead its 1 credit per day and 16 = 1 free day, which comes in very handy when Im renting mid-week for 1 day on a MR and usually the rate is very expensive

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.