Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Blue Chip Doesn't work in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, *wood Gold, Hyatt Pl, IC plat.RA.
Question American Blue Chip Doesn't work in Australia

I've found this a number of times and wanted to know if anyone has experience with this, I keep trying to book with my US blue chip number and it doesn't work with Australian bookings (on the australian site) as the US site is more expensive for Australian bookings. are they different companies or does anyone know of a way to do this and possibly earn United miles (which you can't do with the Aussie blue chip.)

thanks in advance
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jcbranch
I've found this a number of times and wanted to know if anyone has experience with this, I keep trying to book with my US blue chip number and it doesn't work with Australian bookings (on the australian site) as the US site is more expensive for Australian bookings. are they different companies or does anyone know of a way to do this and possibly earn United miles (which you can't do with the Aussie blue chip.)

thanks in advance
When I booked a car in Australia (Sydney Kings Cross), I booked it through the U.S. website at a MUCH lower cost than the Aussie site (IIRC, it was under AU$50 a/i for a day). When I picked up the car, the agent commented how phenomenally low my rate was. As such, I was able to input my Blue Chip number. It didn't do much for me (they didn't have it pre-done before I arrived, probably because of differences between the Aussie coverage options and what I had selected in my Blue Chip profile), although I did take advantage of the benefit (not sure it still exists) of receiving a free upgrade when renting overseas (I ended up with a nice Mitsubishi fullsize car for my midsize reservation).

I don't recall whether I earned UA miles on that rental (what I had, at that time, selected as my loyalty program in my Blue Chip profile). I actually don't think I did.

As for what you're trying to do: I don't think it's possible. I couldn't get the Aussie site to recognize my U.S. Blue Chip number, either. They apparently use entirely different databases. However, I don't know that you're missing much, given that they won't have the rental pre-done, you probably wouldn't earn your UA miles, anyway, and you can probably still try for the Blue Chip free upgrade by showing your Blue Chip card (perhaps with a print out of this page).

As for their relationship: Thrifty Australia is an independent company that licenses the Thrifty name from Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group in the U.S. DTAG may have some general oversight of Thrifty Australia, but the relationship is (as best I can tell) similar to that of an independent franchise--they can do whatever they want and operate whatever systems they want as long as they don't egregiously violate the general rules established by DTAG.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks Jackal, i'll definitely try the US website, without the blue chip and see how I go. I really appreciate the information.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Jackal, i'll definitely try the US website, without the blue chip and see how I go. I really appreciate the information.
Well, if you're going to use the U.S. website, you might as well use your Blue Chip number!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:41 am
Original Poster

I tried both with and without the bluechip but on this reservation it's cheaper on the aussie one (by about 15% - even taking into account the exchange rates), so it's aussie. I also signed up for the aussie blue chip as well. I spend time in both australia and the states so it's probably worth it.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried both with and without the bluechip but on this reservation it's cheaper on the aussie one (by about 15% - even taking into account the exchange rates), so it's aussie. I also signed up for the aussie blue chip as well. I spend time in both australia and the states so it's probably worth it.
You can always try sending your Aussie rental agreement to DTAG HQ in the USA and ask for UA credit!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 4:44 am
Original Poster

now that is an idea, thamks
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
You can always try sending your Aussie rental agreement to DTAG HQ in the USA and ask for UA credit!
And since the systems don't communicate... could a 'double dip' be in the works

Also funny, it says the systems are separate for 'security reasons':

For security reasons, your Blue Chip details are not recognised internationally.
The FAQ's are written in a laid back manner though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.