Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2009, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
If it's in the country's denomination, cash it at your hotel and avoid the bank entirely. But beware that your bank will most likely rape you on the exchange fee before you ever leave this country
lol - Thanks. Ill keep a look out for it. I think Bank of America was giving me 32 Baht/Dollar today. Ill verify tomorrow. Ill probably go with the US Cheques.
Old May 12, 2009, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by mrnik2007
lol - Thanks. Ill keep a look out for it. I think Bank of America was giving me 32 Baht/Dollar today. Ill verify tomorrow. Ill probably go with the US Cheques.
Well if you're doing the TCs anyway, the baht maybe a better deal, it's just beware that regardless you're paying for it, that's all. ATM from K-Bank seems the best deal going.
Old May 12, 2009, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by mrnik2007
Im going to BKK for the firrst time.

My US Bank offers travelers cheques in Baht denominations.
Do banks still charge a handling fee to cash them?

I never knew you could get a TC that was in Thai baht from a US bank; I think you would probably have to pay the 33 baht fee per check just the same. Anyway, I would get the largest denomination you can get to eliminate lots of fees for small checks. Would the conversion rate be favorable at all? Usually if you get Thai baht in a different country than Thailand your rate of exchange is less. (Pay it now or pay it later??)

I have 2 different credit union debit cards (one with Visa and one with MasterCard,) the credit unions pay my ATM charges up to 5 per month. They covered my ATM charges from my Thai withdrawals last month.

Those credit unions also issue travelers checks without any charge to members too! Only problem is that the largest size I can get is $100 US. (American Express.) I record the serial numbers of these TC's in an email that I send to myself and then save into memory. If the checks are stolen I can just recall that email with the serial numbers if needed for replacement or police investigation. When I travel I also record the serial numbers of my hundred dollar bills in case they are ever needed.

So, if you are a frequent user of ATM's overseas you might want to check out the benefits of a credit union account in your own country, perhaps they also have the same benefits.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:06 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Are you certain? Can you confirm based on the withdrawal hitting your account? I'm just worried that some banks might not disclose the fee clearly, enough though they're charging it.

If you're sure, this would be great news. ^^ K-bank is the closest bank to my hotel, and they're plenty of others around town, including ATM's at Chatuchak, where I always seem to have an unanticipated need for extra cash.
I have done two K-bank withdrawals this month without being charged. My receipts clearly shows the 'Fee: 0.00' and a quick check showed an X-rate close to bank interrate so K-bank does indeed seem to be one of the banks of choice.
Old May 14, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
I have done two K-bank withdrawals this month without being charged. My receipts clearly shows the 'Fee: 0.00' and a quick check showed an X-rate close to bank interrate so K-bank does indeed seem to be one of the banks of choice.
Excellent! Thank you. I'll give them a try myself next week. Siam Commercial seems to be charging the fee, so I'll avoid that one.
Old May 15, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
Great. Is there a K Bank ATM in the airport? And does anyone know how to look up their ATM locations in Bangkok and elsewhere? (Specifically, Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.) Their web site is mostly in Thai, and the English options don't seem to include an ATM locator.
Old May 16, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by snic
Great. Is there a K Bank ATM in the airport? And does anyone know how to look up their ATM locations in Bangkok and elsewhere? (Specifically, Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.) Their web site is mostly in Thai, and the English options don't seem to include an ATM locator.
They're fairly common, I have seen them in just about every mall, just look for the big 'K' on the cash machine. I have also seen many branches dotted around the streets. I have not looked out for them in airport but will do the next time I'm passing through. If you see a K-exchange bureau in arrivals though I'd guess they have an ATM next to it.
Old May 16, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I think the two main banks operating at Suvarnabhumi are Siam Commercial Bank (which is reportedly charging this fee) and Thai Military Bank = TMB. I don't specifically recall a K Bank at the airport.

K Bank = Kasikorn Bank = Thai Farmer's Bank. Their color is lime green. Their logos are a stylized K (vaguely like the brushstrokes in Cathay Pacific's logo) and the grainy top of a stalk of a rice in a circle. They are fairly easy to find.
Old May 16, 2009, 1:29 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by MegatopLover

K Bank = Kasikorn Bank = Thai Farmer's Bank. Their color is lime green. Their logos are a stylized K (vaguely like the brushstrokes in Cathay Pacific's logo) and the grainy top of a stalk of a rice in a circle. They are fairly easy to find.
There are 5102 K-Bank ATM terminals throughout Thailand ... you won't miss them.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/portal/s...0056f8f30aRCRD

To avoid the low exchange rates at Suvarnabhumi, I usually take some Thai money back home with me (less than 10K Baht) at end of every trip. When I come back to Bangkok, I have some spending local currency to hold me until I get to downtown and better exchange rates.
Old May 20, 2009, 5:22 pm

I withdrew around 2,000 THB from Bank of Ayudhya (the yellow bank) @ Siam Paragon last week and was not charged any fees.
Old May 20, 2009, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Chiangi
I withdrew around 2,000 THB from Bank of Ayudhya (the yellow bank) @ Siam Paragon last week and was not charged any fees.
Thats really good advice and its stuff like this that makes flyertalk unvaluable.
Thanks
Old May 21, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Finally, some confirmation! Thank you! Now all we need is confirmation on UOB and Government Savings Bank ATMs
Old May 21, 2009, 8:12 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. ^ Good to know we have some choices. If enough of us patronize the banks with no fees, it might apply competitive pressure on the others and cause them to drop or at least reduce their fees.

I'm in Thailand now. I'll post my results after I get some cash. With the greenback sliding, it's not a prospect I relish.
Old May 21, 2009, 8:36 pm

No fee at UOB

I tried to withdraw from a Bangkok Bank ATM and it put up a screen saying there would be a 150 Baht fee. I cancelled and went next door to the UOB ATM.

No fee, but this may be due to my Card (Fidelity Visa) because the slip has a line labeled "Fee charge:" - which is 0 on my slip. This suggests that other bank cards may get charged.

Followup: Just saw that Fidelity (or someone) added a $1.00 "Cash Advance Fee" to the transaction.

Last edited by sarming; May 22, 2009 at 7:34 pm
Old May 22, 2009, 5:01 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue, SK Eurobonus, TG ROP, BA EC, QR Privilege Club, SQ Krisflyer
Bad news. I can confirm that both Kasikorn and Ayudhya have now implemented the 150Baht fee. I withdrew from UOB today and that is still fee-free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.