Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2009, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I don't specifically recall which banks were at CNX. I have a vague recollection of Siam Commercial and maybe TMB, but that may be the power of suggestion based on its presence at BKK. I think I spotted one UOB somewhere in Chiang Mai city, but I couldn't say where. Spotted no foreign banks on the Night Bazaar street.

HSBC has a location in the financial district along Sathorn Road, as does Citibank, ABN Amro (or whatever it has become), Deutsche Bank (IIRC), and many others. But I don't think HSBC has much of a retail presence anywhere in Bangkok. UOB is the one major foreign bank trying to gain a retail foothold, which it did by acquiring someone else (I forget whom). Standard Chartered is a few steps behind UOB in that process. I'm fairly sure I've seen a UOB at Siam Paragon, FWIW.
Old May 29, 2009, 1:37 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Follow-up on banks--

HSBC has a major building at the end of Sathorn near where it turns into Wireless at Lumpini Park. Don't know what the branch looks like there.

UOB has outlets in a number of major SkyTrain stations, including Nana and a mini-branch at Chid Lom. Those may be fairly convenient for a lot of tourists.
Old May 29, 2009, 9:59 pm

Yeah, further research seems to point in the direction that there aren't nearly as many HSBC's in Thailand as I saw elsewhere in the world.

I guess it means I'll be using more plastic and if I do withdraw cash, it'll be once or twice.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:24 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
IMHO, Visa cash advance charges vary with the card issuing bank and are often very high (3-5% of advance amount). Then there is the foreign exchange charge which can also be 3-5%.

And, you will likely start getting charged an additional interest charge at a very high interest rate until the balance advanced is paid off.

Cash advances are to be avoided.
This is a legitimate way to access CASH in one transaction.

The topic is addressing how to access your own CASH while in Thailand, and avoid the 150 ATM fee. There are no interest charges if you pay the balance off immediately.

A cash advance on my visa costs 78THB per transaction and I can withdraw a whole lot in one transaction. Much better than the 150THB per 20,000THB.

just my 2 cents...
Old May 30, 2009, 3:34 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
There are no interest charges if you pay the balance off immediately.

A cash advance on my visa costs 78THB per transaction and I can withdraw a whole lot in one transaction.
I have not been able to figure out how to pay off a cash advance "immediately" and never get stung with interest. I suppose it is possible if you spend a lot of time online monitoring your accounts. Not my idea of vacation fun ...

As to idea that there is a flat rate fee of 78 baht for cash advance ... what bank and credit card is this? What about the forex conversion fee on top of the cash advance fee? Most banks are nicking their customers for around 3% for each for a minimum charge on cash advance exclusive of interest of around 6%.

Please let us know where to get this 78 baht flat rate card. I need one.
Old May 30, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
I have not been able to figure out how to pay off a cash advance "immediately" and never get stung with interest. I suppose it is possible if you spend a lot of time online monitoring your accounts. Not my idea of vacation fun ...
Easy, just chuck a few hundred dollars on your card before you leave. My CC is always in postive balance, I've never paid a cent interest

Thanks for that megatop, appreciate it
Old May 30, 2009, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway's phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.114 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by k_sheep
Easy, just chuck a few hundred dollars on your card before you leave. My CC is always in postive balance, I've never paid a cent interest

Thanks for that megatop, appreciate it
That's called a debit card
Old May 31, 2009, 1:17 am

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Wirelessly posted (goingaway's phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.114 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

That's called a debit card
Yup but with reward points and free travel insurance!

Last edited by k_sheep; May 31, 2009 at 4:56 am
Old May 31, 2009, 1:34 am

As of this afternoon, UOB at Chid Lom BTS station still not charging the fee. ^
Old May 31, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
As of this afternoon, UOB at Chid Lom BTS station still not charging the fee. ^
Earlier this evening I tried a GSB ATM. Unfortunately the screen stated there would be a fee but it didn't say how much. I cancelled the transaction and went to a nearby UOB where, like you, I still wasn't charged. However, receipt stated 'Fee 0.00' so I have a feeling it's just a matter of time It would be nice if UOB would buck the trend and go it alone, it'll be a pity if GSB applies the full fee even though it is not an association member.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:54 am

Once you start looking for UOB ATMs, they seem to be everywhere:
Nana BTS (JW Marriott end of station)
Central World (basement under the escalator
Amarin Plaza ground floor
Siam Paragon BTS level (bear right when entering)
The list goes on but it seems that most tourists will be well served.
Still no charge as of June 1.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: NW, UA
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Follow-up on banks--

HSBC has a major building at the end of Sathorn near where it turns into Wireless at Lumpini Park. Don't know what the branch looks like there.

UOB has outlets in a number of major SkyTrain stations, including Nana and a mini-branch at Chid Lom. Those may be fairly convenient for a lot of tourists.
Originally Posted by canred
Once you start looking for UOB ATMs, they seem to be everywhere:
Nana BTS (JW Marriott end of station)
Central World (basement under the escalator
Amarin Plaza ground floor
Siam Paragon BTS level (bear right when entering)
The list goes on but it seems that most tourists will be well served.
Still no charge as of June 1.
Thanks, mates, for the helpful posts.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 2:32 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
UOB in All Seasons - convenient for those staying at Conrad or Plaza Athanee - and it's inside an air conditioned mall. NO sc as of 2 days ago
Old Jun 22, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
What's the Best Way to Exchange Monery at BKK?

Now that the banks are charging for ATM cash withdrawal, what's the best way to exchange money at BKK Airport? I can bring traveller's checks. My flight will be arriving at 9:10 PM on a Friday night. Is there a bank currency excahnge window open at that time? I will need cash for taxi to the hotel.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 6:36 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by CIT85
Now that the banks are charging for ATM cash withdrawal, what's the best way to exchange money at BKK Airport? I can bring traveller's checks. My flight will be arriving at 9:10 PM on a Friday night. Is there a bank currency excahnge window open at that time? I will need cash for taxi to the hotel.
Currency exchange kiosks are available at the airport 24 hours a day. The exchange rates available at the airport however are generally much worse than in the city itself, and so you will lose out by changing money here.

Last edited by Kalboz; Dec 19, 2009 at 3:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.