Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Old May 26, 2009, 3:58 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Bad news indeed. In Chiang Mai last night, Kasikorn Bank and Bank of Ayudhyah were both charging the hated fee. Both brought up a screen announcing the fee and gave me an opportunity to abandon the transaction, which I promptly did. I checked with TMB, and they're charging it too. I checked at least one other, but I can't remember which one.

Now, I'm off to find a UOB branch or ATM to see if I can get some cash without this annoying fee. Failing that, I'll be withdrawing the maximum amount allowed by most of the banks here: 20,000 baht. Spreading the fee over that amount, it comes in at .75%. On top of what Wachovia will hit me for--another 2.5%--this means I'll be going back to the dark ages of Amex t-cheques for my next trip.

BTW: Passing through Suvarnabhumi today, I saw only Siam Commercial and TMB booths and ATM's. But I wasn't really looking very hard.
Old May 26, 2009, 5:05 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Well, my plan did not meet with great success. As I thought I recalled from Chiang Mai yesterday evening, K-bank's maximum withdrawal amount on offer was 10,000 baht. I tried 20,000, but it was an "invalid amount." Same results at Bangkok Bank today. (Last night, TMB and Bank of Ayudhyah offered 20,000-baht withdrawals.) I spotted a Standard Chartered across Charoen Krung from the Bangkok Bank branch I tried, so I decided to give it a go. The Standard Chartered ATM offered "fast cash" at the 20,000, but that was rejected as over my limit. Probably a Wachovia or a me issue, but that's what happened. Then I tried 10,000 baht, to test whether it would charge the fee. 10,000 worked, and there was no announcement of a fee. Receipt shows 10,000 baht withdrawal.

Assuming the fee isn't hidden somewhere, it appears that Standard Chartered is among those not currently charging the fee. Standard Chartered does not have a huge retail presence in Thailand-- far less than in Singapore or Hong Hong, and far less than Singapore-based UOB, which is building a retail presence here--but there are Standard Chartered branches and ATM's here and there. The one I stumbled across is on Thanon Charoen Krung (New Road) just at the foot of the Saphan Thaksin BTS Station, so it's more or less convenient to most of the Riverside hotels.
Old May 27, 2009, 3:08 am

For those staying in the Riverside hotels, I spotted a UOB branch in the base of the Gems Tower on the Charoen Krung side, which is basically opposite Soi Oriental. I didn't use it, so can't say for sure whether they're charging the fee as yet.
Old May 27, 2009, 4:51 pm

Thanks for the update. It seems the Thai authorities are determined to reduce tourist spending.
Old May 27, 2009, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by glob99
Thanks for the update. It seems the Thai authorities are determined to reduce tourist spending.
Without getting into how close the ties are between industry and government (obviously very close), this fee has nominally been authorized by the Thai Bankers' Association, not the government.
Old May 27, 2009, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
regardless of who did what I think we all agree that this is not the smartest move in the current environment
Old May 27, 2009, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
regardless of who did what I think we all agree that this is not the smartest move in the current environment
Agreed. With Wachovia hitting me for 3%, and now this on top, I'm done with the ATM thing except in cases of emergency.

As best I can tell from my account online, Standard Chartered did not slap the 150-baht fee on top of my withdrawal. Looks like it went straight through as 10,000 baht.

Krung Thai is another bank I tried up in Chiang Mai. They're charging the fee too. Non-Thai banks seem to offer the best chance of avoiding it.
Old May 27, 2009, 11:36 pm

Do all the banks that charge the fee indicate it before you complete the transaction?

BTW there are many ways to avoid a 3% bank charge
Old May 28, 2009, 12:27 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Random facts that may be of use:

Opening a Thai Bank account may be an idea. It can be a difficult, but not impossible to open without a Non-Immigrant Visa. But once open there are very little maintenance fees on the account. Deposits and ATM withdrawls are free within the Province the account is in, as long as you use their own ATMs. I can wire money to my Thai Bank account for under $40 and it takes less than a day to process. (The fee to send money back out of Thailand is much cheaper).

If you must pay the 150THB, you may want the highest amount to withdraw at one time. Bangok Bank ATM maximum withdrawl per transaction is 25,000 THB.

Also Visa cash advances charge a fee of less than (the equvilent of) 150 THB per transaction. It's possible to withdraw hundreds of thousands of Baht in one transaction at any bank counter with your card and a passport.
Old May 28, 2009, 1:32 am
In memoriam

IMHO, Visa cash advance charges vary with the card issuing bank and are often very high (3-5% of advance amount). Then there is the foreign exchange charge which can also be 3-5%.

And, you will likely start getting charged an additional interest charge at a very high interest rate until the balance advanced is paid off.

Cash advances are to be avoided.
Old May 28, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by estnet
Do all the banks that charge the fee indicate it before you complete the transaction?
BTW there are many ways to avoid a 3% bank charge
I found that bank ATMs charging the 150-baht fee informed you of the fee up front. This may be a temporary thing, though, because the fee is new.

Most bank-issued ATM cards with the VISA logo charge the 3% international exchange fee. I'm guessing that the MasterCard logo cards do the same. My non-VISA branded ATM cards from my credit union and from E*Trade Bank have a 1% fee.
Old May 28, 2009, 3:10 pm

I have 2 debit cards that don't charge this -one is a Fidelity visa and the other is a debit card from citibank linked to my checking account. I'm not sure if the citi charges the 1% that fidelity does since I've only used it once - but neither charges 3%. BTW I agree that the cash advance is a BAD idea b/c the interest charges (unless you prepay so there aren't interest charges accruing)
Old May 28, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: NW, UA
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
As best I can tell from my account online, Standard Chartered did not slap the 150-baht fee on top of my withdrawal. Looks like it went straight through as 10,000 baht.

Krung Thai is another bank I tried up in Chiang Mai. They're charging the fee too. Non-Thai banks seem to offer the best chance of avoiding it.
Probably because "non-thai" banks such as standard chartered are not members of Thai Bankers Association which imposed the fees.

What other foreign banks have multiple ATM locations in BKK?
Old May 28, 2009, 6:18 pm

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
Noooooooooooo how annoying!

megatoplover, have you been through chiang mai airport lately to see which ATMs are there? I'm flying in from KUL in 2 weeks, and was planning to just go to the ATM.

Guess it's time I looked at the fine print from my bank on overseas transactions, see whether cash advance on mastercard, ATM, travellers cheques or just taking some AU$$ to exchange is best. Urrrgh I hate money.
Old May 28, 2009, 7:43 pm

Are HSBC branches easily found in BKK or Phuket? I loved using my HSBC card in London, Hong Kong, and various parts of China and was not hit with withdrawl fees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.