Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

BKK-Bangkok Airport Rail Link Discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

BKK-Bangkok Airport Rail Link Discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:06 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I agree fully with the two posts above by maskedavenger and macabus but think we should probably take that discussion to a more appropriate thread.

I have also come around to assuming that I'll never use the train from the airport. I do use it in HK but it seems that this won't be a tenth as convenient or easy as the situation in HK.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
The problem with all such airport rail links is where to put them or where you can put them. For example, I do not see the BKK link as being any worse than HEX going into Paddington which is virtually useless unless you have business or lodgings in that area. Some will always be better than others; CPH and HKG spring to mind. However, in BKK as elsewhere it is still a useful addition and it will have a market, mostly for those for whom every penny counts, those who feel uncomfortable using taxis, and those who are lucky enough to find that is goes where they want it to go. In the comming year I think we may start to see quite a lot of development in the areas adjacent to the rail-link stations.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Dec 5th soft opening announced. Hourly service for the express service at 150THB.
Based on the small print, this seems to be only a glorified single-day trial run -- they've announced that the ticket sale/lottery for these rides starts on Oct 1st, which presumably means you can't even get on board unless you're local and manage to swing one of these.

I am guessing that the 50THB non-express may be the more frequent/convenient service? Not very clever if you ask me.
I'm guessing the commuter train won't even run on Dec 5th.

And oh, maskedavenger, since you asked about "abject terror", I've had a taxi blow a tire at 160 kph on the old Don Muang (Uttaraphimuk) tollway. Fortunately, the cabbie managed to bring the car under control and exit the highway gracefully, but the end result could have been much worse... and this is one reason why I'll be patronizing the airport link whenever I can.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, SQ*G, Marriott Plat
Based on experience with the opening of the BTS Thonburi extension (2 new stations across the river), I wouldn't depend on using the Rail Link to actually get me to or from the airport for at least 3 months after the official opening (the latest I've heard is that this should be in the spring), unless you build in extra time for delays and technical difficulties.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:22 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
In the comming year I think we may start to see quite a lot of development in the areas adjacent to the rail-link stations.
Yes, you are on point ... see post # 8 here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...d-threads.html

Here is an update: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009...s_30111618.php

Lancaster Bangkok, situated near the Asoke-Phetchaburi intersection and the Airport Rail Link's Makkasan complex, will cost Bt1.5 billion and will have 230 rooms.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 5:49 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
See also: http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/1...0/4042934.html

Langham Hotels International (LHI) has doubled its footprint in Thailand to four properties following the signing of a deal with Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited (BTSC) to manage two new five-star properties in the country’s capital.

The 400-room Langham Place, Phayathai, Bangkok, close to the city’s premier shopping location at Siam Centre is just 14 minutes from Suwannabhumi Airport thanks to the new Airport Rail link. The property captures the other side of the city’s vibrant nature with an emphasis on sparkling service that reflects the guests’ fun loving and sociable approach to life.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Kalboz
The 400-room Langham Place, Phayathai, Bangkok, close to the citys premier shopping location at Siam Centre is just 14 minutes from Suwannabhumi Airport thanks to the new Airport Rail link. The property captures the other side of the citys vibrant nature with an emphasis on sparkling service that reflects the guests fun loving and sociable approach to life.
No assumptions or sales hype in there, right? And guess I won't be able to stay there, I'm not sure if I'm fun-loving enough, and I am quite sure that I'm not sociable enough.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
See also: http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/1...0/4042934.html

Langham Hotels International (LHI) has doubled its footprint in Thailand to four properties following the signing of a deal with Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited (BTSC) to manage two new five-star properties in the countrys capital.

The 400-room Langham Place, Phayathai, Bangkok, close to the citys premier shopping location at Siam Centre is just 14 minutes from Suwannabhumi Airport thanks to the new Airport Rail link. The property captures the other side of the citys vibrant nature with an emphasis on sparkling service that reflects the guests fun loving and sociable approach to life.
The Langham proporties are being developed with the BTS, operator of the Skytrain. The Sukhumvit property will be on the currently empty lot on the corner of Sukhumvit Road and Sukhumvit Soi 6 (currently the record holder for the most expensive property sale) while the Phaya Thai property will be on an empty lot adjacent to the Phaya Thai BTS station, and convenient to the terminus station of the City Line (local SARL). In theory one could take the city line from SBIA, or take the Airport Express to the CAT and change to the City Line to get to Phaya Thai, or walk to the Petchburi MRT (subway) stop, go to Sukhumvit, change to the BTS (Asoke) and go to Phaya Thai. This would involve two/three separate tickets, and quite a bit of walking including stairs and luggage-challenging ticket entrances.

I'm not sure I'll want to wait around for the Airport Express, with service on the hour to begin (maybe every 30 minutes in the future), and not sure when the City Line might start service, so it will be a novelty at first. Re: going to the Westin/SGS via the Airport Express and the MRT I say "good luck", you'll do that once and only once.

Not sure where the Lancaster property will be, I suspect on the other side of New Petchburi Road so you'll need some sort of motorized transport (taxi, tuk-tuk, hotel van, etc.) to get there from the CAT.

The City Line, once operational, will be important for commuters and yes, development around the new stations began a few years ago.

Re: the BTS, new 4-car trains are expected to be deployed on the Silom line while the 3-car trains will be added to the Sukhumvit line hopefully relieving some of the capacity and schedule issues.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:22 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I don't see all the resistance to the Airport line being legitimate. In HKG, NYC, SYD and even YVR, I'll take a taxi to the Metro or the Bus. In SEA, I'll just take the bus. I expect, depending on my schedule, to hop a taxi to Makasan.

I know myself. I WON'T WAIT FOR THE EXPRESS TRAIN. I'll take the
NEXT TRAIN (local/city train) or A TAXI
. The local train is 45THB and service will be more frequent. Even with a taxi to the hotel, I'm looking at just over a 100THB journey.

If I take the express for 150THB and then pay taxi to my hote l, I've just dropped my fare by 1/2 (compared to a taxi), and if the timing is good, saved time too. On average, to Sukhumvit/Silom the taxi fare is about 400THB with small rounding up (250-300THB, with a 70THB toll, plus 50THB one way for the airport fee).

As to the lugging bags crowd. The train terminal is in the airport, just like SIN, HKG, etc. If I then take a taxi in town, I see no issue.

I rarely check bags, even when coming from North America. This last trip to BKK, I had only a laptop bag, including a couple changes of clothes. Not to mention that any FTers have an apartment or condo here. I know many FTers leave some luggage at the Hotel until their next check-in.

Yes, taxis are cheaper in BKK than other cities, but the same argument can be said for trips within the city. I often prefer to take a cab in BKK over the BTS, while the consensus on FT seems to be with the BTS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport_Link
http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/taxonomy/term/2

Last edited by seanthepilot; Sep 10, 2009 at 11:29 pm
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:11 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I don't see all the resistance to the Airport line being legitimate.
Agreed. Also if it's true that the express train will only take 15 minutes to the city then that is a big plus, especially at busy times. Anybody know the actual duration of journey for express and local train? City terminal check-in will also be a plus if it's possible.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 2:36 am

The Airport Express is supposed to take 15 minutes for the non-stop journey between SBIA (BKK) and the CAT at Makasan. This train is supposed to run every 30 minutes but from all announcements, in the early stages this will hourly service, so a departure every 60 minutes. Most expect this line to operate ~ 06:00 to 23:59 daily. When City Line service begins that journey will take 30 minutes SBIA to CAT, and most expect service every 15 minutes. Express trains overtake City Line trains at intermediate points or stations.

Obviously, until these trains are in regularly scheduled operation it is impossible to ascertain their usefulness. By far the biggest problem is arriving at the CAT and then dealing with onward transportation. Traffic in this area is usally bad; yesterday I sat in a taxi for ~ 45 minutes on Asoke/Ratchadapisek in front of the CAT. Or one can walk to the Petchaburi MRT station (until some sort of connector is constructed this will be a very, very long, and challenging walk), or travel onwards on the City Line to Ratchaparob and Phaya Thai, once City Line service commences.

I might take the train but I certainly would not want to wait more than 15 minutes for the Express train. Who knows what the taxi situation will be like at the CAT?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jpatokal

And oh, maskedavenger, since you asked about "abject terror", I've had a taxi blow a tire at 160 kph on the old Don Muang (Uttaraphimuk) tollway. Fortunately, the cabbie managed to bring the car under control and exit the highway gracefully, but the end result could have been much worse... and this is one reason why I'll be patronizing the airport link whenever I can.
A blown tire only happens in Thailand? Interesting.

On my taxi rides I find that they do drive fast, rarely signal, change lanes with minimal space available, tailgate etc. In the US they'd be called morons. In Mumbai they'd be called conservative.

The train won't help get me to my normal haunts unfortunately. If only they would have constructed it to Victory Monument which is a hub of transpo activity.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
A blown tire only happens in Thailand? Interesting.
Who said anything about blown tires happening only in Thailand?

On my taxi rides I find that they do drive fast, rarely signal, change lanes with minimal space available, tailgate etc. In the US they'd be called morons. In Mumbai they'd be called conservative.
Yes, but in Mumbai there's virtually nowhere to drive at 160 kph, so most accidents in the city are fender-benders. It's the combination of infrastructure that enables high speeds (when not jammed solid, of course) and insane driving that makes taxis in places like Bangkok and Jakarta scary...
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Who said anything about blown tires happening only in Thailand?
You have a short memory. Was this not your expression of how 'dangerous' taxis in BKK are:

Originally Posted by jpatokal;12341073
And oh, [b
maskedavenger[/b], since you asked about "abject terror", I've had a taxi blow a tire at 160 kph on the old Don Muang (Uttaraphimuk) tollway. Fortunately, the cabbie managed to bring the car under control and exit the highway gracefully, but the end result could have been much worse... and this is one reason why I'll be patronizing the airport link whenever I can.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
You have a short memory. Was this not your expression of how 'dangerous' taxis in BKK are:
Yes, so I ask you again, "Who said anything about blown tires happening only in Thailand?"

To make this nice and sparkling clear: I am happy that Bangkok will have an airport rail link, since it will allow me to avoid taking taxis to/from the airport at least part of the time. Unfortunately said rail link does not affect my chances of blowing another taxi tire while being careened at ludicrous speed on an elevated expressway in, say, Jakarta.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.