40 Hours in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2008, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P, SPG Gold
40 Hours in Bangkok

Looking for suggested itinerary.

Advice on where to stay.

Advice on how to get from the airport to hotel (I'll have luggage).

Etc, Etc. Etc.

Thanks.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When is your lay-over? This could be important due to holidays. At least the day(s) of the week.

What do you like to do when you visit a foreign country/city?

What is your hotel budget?

You can take a taxi or limo from/to the airport.

I Googled "36 hours in Bangkok" and got some interesting links...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/...el/29hours.php

I think there have been some similar threads here but I'm too lazy to search for them.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by transpac
When is your lay-over? This could be important due to holidays. At least the day(s) of the week.

What do you like to do when you visit a foreign country/city?

What is your hotel budget?

You can take a taxi or limo from/to the airport.

I Googled "36 hours in Bangkok" and got some interesting links...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/...el/29hours.php

I think there have been some similar threads here but I'm too lazy to search for them.
Unfortunately I won't be there on the weekend, so I arrive on a Tuesday and leave on a Wednesday.

I like to see things that I wouldn't see in America - after that - I am easily pleased. Some friends have recommended taking the sky train up to the river and hitting all the sites along the river.

How much should I expect to pay for the taxi from the airport to Sukhemvet? Do they take USD or only THB?

How much time should i give myself at around 5 PM from the airport to this area? How much time should I give myself at 6 AM in the morning to get from Sukhemvet to the airport?

Thank you.

I searched flyertalk, and maybe the older threads were lost because I couldn't find a thread or a sticky like this (i would have thought there would have been one).

Appreciate the 36 hour link, useful stuff in there.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:57 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Asiaorbust
Some friends have recommended taking the sky train up to the river and hitting all the sites along the river.
Yes, they are right. The sky train is the best way to avoid the usual traffic jam, especially at sukhumvit road, when you want to go around in Bangkok. Anayway the will not get to main attractions (e.g. Wat Phra Cheo, Wat Po, Wat Arun) just by going by sky train. Change the sky train at Siam station and take the silom line to saphan taksin station. There you can get a taxi boat ... It's not the easiest way, but usually it's a fast way ...

How much should I expect to pay for the taxi from the airport to Sukhemvet?
To get a taxi at the airport is easy: at the arrivel level (level 2) just follow the signs for "public taxi", queue up the line at the counter, tell them where you want to go, tell them the magic word "taximeter" and there you go. On your way to the counter ignore everyone who wnats to offer you a ride or a hotel ...

Beside the fare for the taxi which should be around 200 to 250 THB for a ride to sukhumvit area, you have to pay the toll for the tollway with 70 THB altogether and the driver will get a service charge of 50 THB though he picked you up at the airport. A tip is also appreciated by the driver ...

How much time should i give myself at around 5 PM from the airport to this area?
The the afternoon you should expect traffic jam, so the ride should take about 45 minutes (but can take a lot longer if you get stuck in a big jam ...)

How much time should I give myself at 6 AM in the morning to get from Sukhemvet to the airport?
20 to 30 minutes depending on how much your taxi driver feels like Michael Schumacher ...

Advice on where to stay.
Though we don't know your budget nor your preferences it's difficult to suggest anything

Anyway, in my opinion both Grand Sukhumvit by Sofitel and Sofitel Asoke Residence offer a good value for your bucks ....
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:38 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
I am not sure if you will be able or have the time to see all of those, here is a list of musts for Bangkok:

Grand Palace & the Temple of the Emerald Buddha
Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho)
Temple of the Dawn (Wat Arun)
Jim Thompson House
Suan Lum Night Bazaar
Sky train (BTS) to Chao Phraya River (as others suggested)
Have a dinner in the sky! (Sirocco at La Bua, Vertigo at Banyan Tree, 360 at the riverside Millennium Hilton, D'Sens at the Dusit Thani, etc.)

Google the above and even if you cannot see them all, keep this list for your next visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.