Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
PROVIDED you are not flying in between 23:00 and 07:00 or in the middle of high season after a lot of other arrivals, there should be no problem at all.
What's the issue with arriving at night? Our flight is schedule to arrive at 01:30. Is reserving a car direct from the hotel a better alternative? Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No need to order a car from the hotel to pick you up. Upon arrival, book a car transfer at the counter for airport minibus and limousine services (you will find the counter in the arrivals hall when you exit the bagage area). Fixed (but inflated) fares ranging from 600 -1,200 B depending on your destination. I believe Patong is 800 Bath and Karon/Kata is 1,000-1,200

There will most likely be no public taxi available at that hour (and the saving is not much anyway)
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:24 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by isaifan
What's the issue with arriving at night? Our flight is schedule to arrive at 01:30. Is reserving a car direct from the hotel a better alternative? Thanks
You will want to book a pickup from somewhere you can trust. Most will find that is via the hotel they are staying with.

After midnight (or a little before) many drivers have gone home for the night. At this point, the cars can ask as much as they want... and they DO. I know of people who were charged 1500THB to get a ride to Patong "after hours". I have fought to get a ride, and have settled with 850 to Patong. Their response was "You have to pay this price, or wait until 6:30 in the morning.

After peak periods where all cars have been taken there can be quite a long queue before any cars come back. This will happen in high season after a few 747's land.... beware if you're on the flight AFTER these ones land. A round trip to many areas and back can take a driver 2 hours.

Originally Posted by SK AAR
No need to order a car from the hotel to pick you up. Upon arrival, book a car transfer at the counter for airport minibus and limousine services (you will find the counter in the arrivals hall when you exit the bagage area). Fixed (but inflated) fares ranging from 600 -1,200 B depending on your destination. I believe Patong is 800 Bath and Karon/Kata is 1,000-1,200

There will most likely be no public taxi available at that hour (and the saving is not much anyway)
This advice is ok, if you arrive during normal hours, 7am-10:30pm. But, not for all times/situations, IMHO.

I HATE waiting an hour for a cab. I also HATE being overcharged by 50%.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Just curious if anyone could provide any reports from on the ground out there. CNN/BBC report was getting some good airtime here this week, showing photos of vastly cleaned up beaches and en masse shutdowns of illegal development. And the operations against the taxi folks seem to have stuck. Looks all positive in my book - just curious if anyone who is actually there has anything of interest to add. I trust the words of a Flyertalker over mainstream news sources any day!

Headed that way for the first time at the end of this year and between these actions and the much-covered slowdown in Russian tourism, I'm hoping it might be like a throwback to the old days!
I cannot comment in detail. Or, I mean I am not brave enough to.

There has been a definite attempt to change things. Beach chairs and other structures have been removed from the beaches. But who knows how long that will last. Taxi mafia have been charged in court. It's hard to say how that will play out. But, it hasn't changed the extortionate and protectionist policies such as prices, taxis claiming zones as theirs, threats of violence and or mob attacks, and claims of corrupt police closing their eyes to the repeated extortion of tourists by the same old crooks playing the same old games.

It's quite possible that change/progress can be made. But it'll take more than a few months of action. Most of us here have a wait and see attitude.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
So the airport minibus and limousine service counter will close around/after midnight and the "fixed" prices no longer apply? So you will have to negotiate directly with the same drivers that during the day time would have to use the fares set by the limousine counter/agency?

Sorry, for asking but I have only arrived in the day time and had no problems getting my desired transportation.

If true, I agree that asking the hotel to pick you up will be a safe and better choice. But it will not be cheap though...
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I cannot comment in detail. Or, I mean I am not brave enough to.

There has been a definite attempt to change things. Beach chairs and other structures have been removed from the beaches. But who knows how long that will last. Taxi mafia have been charged in court. It's hard to say how that will play out. But, it hasn't changed the extortionate and protectionist policies such as prices, taxis claiming zones as theirs, threats of violence and or mob attacks, and claims of corrupt police closing their eyes to the repeated extortion of tourists by the same old crooks playing the same old games.

It's quite possible that change/progress can be made. But it'll take more than a few months of action. Most of us here have a wait and see attitude.
Thanks for the update, and my apologies for putting you in a tough spot. Sounds like things are net positive, and I hope they keep looking up. Tourism numbers are still dropping according to the latest figures, so maybe that will help keep up the pressure to crack down on some of the less visitor-friendly practices. I'm optimistic and looking forward to my time there!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:46 am

So the airport minibus and limousine service counter will close around/after midnight and the "fixed" prices no longer apply? So you will have to negotiate directly with the same drivers that during the day time would have to use the fares set by the limousine counter/agency?
Yes, that pretty well sums it up. I'm sure everyday is different. But, all bets on any fixed prices are off at night.

I agree that asking the hotel to pick you up will be a safe and better choice. But it will not be cheap though...
If you're staying at one of the hundreds of cheap guesthouses, I'm sure they can arrange a taxi for not much than a normal airport car. It can't be that hard to book a car. I never fly in without a prebooked ride.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Rent a car or hire a driver in Phuket?

Visiting Phuket in Nov. and will be staying at the Westin Saray Bay. I originally planned to rent a car but I'm now considering whether that's a good choice. The issue is I have never driven on the left side and from what I've read, traffic laws aren't really followed in Thailand. Has anyone else driven in Thailand and had their first driving on the left experience?

Alternatively, I'm considering hiring a driver with car instead. Anyone has a good recommendation of an individual or company?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:41 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by zerolife
Visiting Phuket in Nov. and will be staying at the Westin Saray Bay. I originally planned to rent a car but I'm now considering whether that's a good choice. The issue is I have never driven on the left side and from what I've read, traffic laws aren't really followed in Thailand. Has anyone else driven in Thailand and had their first driving on the left experience?

Alternatively, I'm considering hiring a driver with car instead. Anyone has a good recommendation of an individual or company?
While it was not my first time driving on the left side of the road, I had no issues driving in Phuket. In fact, I have been to worse places including those where driving is on the left side of the road.

My experience is that it is no worse than driving in any of the other countries in which I have driven. Additionally, I had no traffic or parking problems either.

I would recommend renting a car if the cost is not prohibitive for you but, of course, be careful and take the precautions you would typically take whenever renting a car.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
My experience is that it is no worse than driving in any of the other countries in which I have driven.
Keep in mind, though, that this poster appears to be from Atlanta

*dodges thrown tomatoes*
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:10 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Keep in mind, though, that this poster appears to be from Atlanta

*dodges thrown tomatoes*
I am originally from New York...

...and I enjoy tomatoes.

Throw some cucumbers and lettuce while you are at it, please...
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Do remember that in case of accident the farang is not likely to be in the "right"
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Headed back to Phuket for the 2nd time in December - staying at the JW.

Hoping to see a little more Thailand and a little less pool. Any suggestions? Anything in that area is appreciated.

Thank you,

M59
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
I need a trasnfer from Patong Beach Holiday Inn, over to Phi Phi Holiday Inn, then in 3 days onwards to Ao Nang Beach, Krabi. Suggestions?

We are 2 adults and 2 children. Quickest option would be best, but it should also be cost effective. Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:09 am

Take the standard minibus/ferry combo

You can book them anywhere for about 350 per person per leg.
Phuket-Phi Phi-Krabi

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.