Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Accommodation Near Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus

Many ask for alternatives to the overpriced Novotel. Here's a list of hotels, guest houses and hostels which have surfaced:

Sananwan Palace, very nice and friendly almost-new guesthouse about 20 min by taxi from the terminal, with pool under 500 Baht.

Floral Shire Resort is just on the edge of the airport, maybe 5 minutes from the terminal. 1200-1300 baht. Brand new. No pool. Sort of motel-style.

Queens Garden Resort, only 5 min. from the airport. New, no pool, 900 baht.

Grand Inn Come, sort of a typical Thai small-town hotel on a loud street, no pool, 20 min. from airport, 1800 baht "Let out professional masseuses treat and pamper your stiff and stressed."

Avana Hotel, sort of the kind of suburban upscale hotel where Thais hold weddings and conferences. Pool and all the usual amenities, 1200 baht. Maybe about 30 min. from the airport.

Ibis Hotel Huamak Chain hotel about 30 min from the airport with reportedly small boxy rooms and gruff, unfriendly staff. Pool, 800-1200 baht.

Ratchana Place, a hostel off the Bangna-Trat highway AWAY from the city centre, self-described 25 min. from the airport, 350 baht. Free WifFi.

On Nut Guesthouse, backpacker hostel about 35-40 min. from the airport and within walking distance of the end station of the Skytrain/BTS line.

Nasa Vegas Hotel, many recommend. Said to be 15 min. from the airport. 590 baht, 900 baht rooms have a jacuzzi. No pool.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 1:50 am

Queens Garden Review

Thanks for the links! Stayed in the Queens Garden Resort, double bed, Aug 13.

PROS
New
Cheap (airport Novotel being a ripoff at US$186)
10 min from airport, just needed to call when arrived for pickup (150 baht each way)

CONS
Sure as hell isn't a "resort"
Shower right next to toilet config, drain didn't work for a few hours
Bathroom "window" was taped up newspaper
Used, (!) hairy soap in soapdish
A bit noisy- didn't seem to be due to airport

In the end, despite the drawbacks, it was worth it. We came into BKK around midnight and had a flight out the next morning, so, after FT consultation, it was not worth going into the city, and the airport luggage lockers are apparently theft-prone.

1600 Baht total for a shower, a little sleep, and timely airport transfers. Just don't expect much more than that.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:48 am
Original Poster

For about half that price, you could have stayed at the much-nicer Sananwan including an airport pickup. Admittedly, it's further from the terminal (about 20 min. away).
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:05 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Something to look forward to next Spring

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=3031
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by billp
For about half that price, you could have stayed at the much-nicer Sananwan including an airport pickup. Admittedly, it's further from the terminal (about 20 min. away).
I looked at that website and was a bit nervous. In retrospect, though, I could see it being a better choice.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:27 am
Original Poster

It's not the greatest website, but it's a beautiful place.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Something to look forward to next Spring

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=3031
Le Mridien Suvarnabhumi Golf Resort & Spa - Open March 1, 2009
Old Nov 30, 2007, 1:29 am

Programs: United: LifetimeGold, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt:Globalist, Hilton:Diamond, IHG:Diamond
I think it is not a bad idea to stay in the airport if you only have a few hours.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Has anyone found cheaper pricing for the Novotel Suvarnabhumi than booking at the Novotel site directly? Clearly overpriced for what it is, but all things equal I'd rather book a night there, especially if I can pay less than the US$165 they're asking (prepaid is slightly less).
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:42 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
gleff, what's the Novotel rate in baht?

Asiatravel is quoting THB5000 + 17.7% tax, which sounds about what you quoted as the Novotel direct rate.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Looks to be about the same. Just seems so impossibly high for what it is, I mean it's the Novotel not the Pen or the Oriental.

But I'll be in BKK for all of 12 hours overnight, not really enough time to enjoy on of the better properties. And I'll be flying out in First, so I'll probably get to the airport a bit early to enjoy the spa anyway.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

davis - from $120
metropolitan - from $150
four seasons - from $205
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
While researching these hotels, I discovered an allegedly new one 5 minutes from the airport called Thong Ta Resort. Double room including breakfast is 900-1000 Baht and airport transfers are 150 Baht. It doesn't look too bad and the bathroom appears to have an actual shower as opposed to the all-in-one shower/toilet/bathroom in the Queens Garden. Does anybody know anything about this place?
Old Jan 25, 2008, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Here are two new ones which have surfaced since I started this thread.

Convenient Resort (great name!). Newly-built 4-story hotel at Lat Krabang, about 5-10 min. drive from the airport. 1000-1200 baht.

SP Powerlodge New entry on Lat Krabang. Basic rooms, no pool. Price of 1300-1900 includes 2-way airport transfer.

By consensus, on other forums I've posted on, the Sananwan Palace gets the best rating. Everybody who's stayed there seems to love it.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, UA Plat, 2MM, AS MVPG
No reply Sananwan

I've attempted to book at Sananwan Palace several times the past week through their booking site and have received no reply. Also tried emailing without any luck. Does anyone know if they're still there?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.