Reload this Page >

Catching a Taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This archived thread is closed to posting.

A detailed wikipost can be found in the current thread at
Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion [2014 onward]
Print Wikipost

Catching a Taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2013, 4:39 am
Suspended

Took me 1.5 hours last Thursday around noon to go from DMK to Le Meridien. Fare was 170 baht plus tolls. Spend more time in traffic jams then driving.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Fully torn tonight. Great driver, relaxed, not slow, not Mario Andretti.

But to get to Sukhumvit Soi 24 he didn't get off at Rama IX and went all the way to Pleun Chit.

There was absolutely no traffic on Suk (or Asok for that matter)....

But I still gave him a little over the total because he was otherwise hassle free and a legit meter. And a fairly young kid. And I didn't want to get the parents upset.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Any reason why I should not pay a bit more and get something pre-arranged from a place like Oriental Escape?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:52 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by lucycan
Any reason why I should not pay a bit more and get something pre-arranged from a place like Oriental Escape?
I'm a budget traveler, so I tend to try to save money if it does not cost me too much time.

OTOH, if you've got the bucks, er Baht, and want to pamper yourself, by all means
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:07 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Under 10 minute queue on 27/12 11pm. Got to W with something like a 330 baht fare. 293 baht on the 29/12 return. No stress and no changes needed unless the Yellow shirts close down the airport road or something.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by percysmith
Under 10 minute queue on 27/12 11pm. Got to W with something like a 330 baht fare. 293 baht on the 29/12 return. No stress and no changes needed unless the Yellow shirts close down the airport road or something.
Yellow shirts? Suthep's minions don't suffer yellow shirts.

On another note: Suk Soi 24 to BKK in 35 minutes with an 11AM departure from the hotel. Down Suk to Thong Lor, across to Soi 63 using Thong Lor Soi 10. Eerily empty streets akin to a 7AM Saturday morning joy-ride.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:53 pm

I'm hearing that a lot of folks are getting jacked up by the drivers from the official queue lately. Up at Departures, some want crazy $$, but at Arrivals it's never happened to me. I'm talking a whole lot of rides too. Maybe it's because I can speak a little Thai. If this happens, get out and bring your receipt back to the dispatcher. I'd like to know what happens next. I'm just going to speak just English next time. We'll see what ensues.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:04 am

I was weary today when the driver at arrival taxi stand lead me to his pink car. But he was very sweet and the meter ran normal. Traffic was non existent. I arrived at Sukhumvit soi 26 in less than 40 minutes or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.