Reload this Page >

Catching a Taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This archived thread is closed to posting.

A detailed wikipost can be found in the current thread at
Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion [2014 onward]
Print Wikipost

Catching a Taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2008, 3:21 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Iain D
Who told him it was 400bt? The dipatcher or the driver? People need to wise up to this scam.
I have been consistently told THB 400 (that is, 3 times in as many months). I don't speak Thai and the THB 400 has been quoted by the dispatcher and part of the written docket that was given to the driver. If its a scam, it is an entrenched one.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by og
I have been consistently told THB 400 (that is, 3 times in as many months). I don't speak Thai and the THB 400 has been quoted by the dispatcher and part of the written docket that was given to the driver. If its a scam, it is an entrenched one.
For those of us who live in BKK or use BKK airport often and take taxis from there, I really think it's our responsibility to start calling these scam-artists out.

I usually just head up to departures and pick up a taxi that's just dropped someone off. But if I continue to hear about passengers getting scammed by the official taxi desk, I'll start to use it - and report anyone who mentions the words 400 baht.

As always, fighting for justice :-:
Old Jan 9, 2008, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had two arrivals at BKK in the last seven days. I used the official metered taxi stand on level two outside door four (left). No problems whatsoever. State destination, say METER, say TOLLWAY to dispatcher. Reconfirm METER with driver BEFORE getting in the taxi. Once in the taxi remind the driver about the METER if they fail to start it once rolling. I think some meters are rigged as I paid 25% more for the exact same trip a few days apart. (My trip is 200 THB +/- 5 on the meter over sixty plus trips; I pay 20 THB extra going to the airport for radio-dispatch.)

There are plenty of Police around, I guess if confronted with an obstinate dispatcher/driver I might inquire as to the location of the Tourist Police in a non-threatening way in an effort to motivate them to use the meter.

I now avoid level four (departures) as there is fairly routine police presence restricting the use of taxis there and I don't want to waste my time going up, and then having to come back down again if I run in to one of the sweeps.

I have never paid a flat-fee coming from the airport. I have paid a flat-fee twice going to the airport owing to a dearth of taxis (opening day, 1/1/07), in ~ 60 trips to/from Suvarnabhumi.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I must say that because of all these hassles, if I arrive at BKK before about 4 pm (which I always try to do), I will usually catch the 551 express bus to Prakhanong (takes about 45 mins) and avoid taxis altogether. Also saves a few baht, but not practical if you have other than a smallish carry-on.

If I do have to catch a taxi, I am insistent that the driver switches on the meter, and if he is reluctant to do so, I say "stop" and get out of the cab. There's really no excuse for trying to rip-off foreigners in such a blatant way.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:27 pm
SNP

Programs: UA 1K
I will be landing at BKK with my GF around midnight Sunday in a few weeks, so I'd imagine by the time we'll be able to get out of the airport it'll be close to 1AM, plan to go to either Sukhumvit 22 Soi or Lebua on Silom Rd, any pointers? thx!
Old Jan 12, 2008, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by SNP
I will be landing at BKK with my GF around midnight Sunday in a few weeks, so I'd imagine by the time we'll be able to get out of the airport it'll be close to 1AM, plan to go to either Sukhumvit 22 Soi or Lebua on Silom Rd, any pointers? thx!
Lots of good pointers. Just check out the recent posts.

Arriving in the early hours of the morning doesn't give you a lot of (sensible) options. Your best bet is to head outside the terminal to the taxi desks on the arrivals level after clearing customs. Then, when in the cab, insist to the driver that he turns on the meter, if he hasn't already done so. Be very insistent. Don't whatever you do accept the "fixed fare" (scam) deal of 400 baht.

The worst thing you could do is to succumb to one of the touts before you exit the terminal (you should resolutely ignore all of them). If you do succumb, it will probably end up costing you 800+ baht. If money's not a worry, ignore everything I've said...
Old Jan 12, 2008, 5:55 pm
SNP

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks Grace, I'll try my best ^^
Old Jan 29, 2008, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by SNP
Thanks Grace, I'll try my best ^^
How'd you go, SNP.

Please tell us...
Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:11 am

I will arrive BKK again on thursday night, late at night as always which
leaves me with really no other option than taking one of the taxis. I
love Bangkok, I love Thailand, but this taxi situation wants one just
scream out loud. Not looking forward to it. And as prepared as I think I
am, there always is something else that screws it up.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
I just took a taxi Monday morning from the airport to the apartment I'm staying in off Phaholyothin, not far from Victory Monument, in the northern part of the city centre.
They really could make it more user-friendly at the airport. It was a fair distance from where we came out of Arrivals to the Public Taxi desk (which is clearly labeled, though, with a blue sign) and we had to fend off at least 5 illegal taxi touts on the way (that's on the sidewalk in front of the building). The set-up would not have been appararent to a neophyte. It used to be much better at Don Muang.

At the desk, I immediately began saying I wanted the taxi on the metre, so they didn't even try any 450 baht flat rate guff. The driver mumbled something about 400 baht, but I immediately made it clear I was paying the metre plus 50 baht and I would pay the highway tolls upfront. The secret is, I think, to project confidence that you know the ropes. I doled out cash for him to pay the tolls: first 25 baht and then 40. He found our address right away (good driver) and the metre was 191. So I rounded that up to 200, added 20 baht tip because he was an honest driver who didn't try any fast ones, plus the airport surcharge of 50 baht. So the total was 335 baht. Not a lot less than the 450, but we didn't participate in the on-going scam, so I'm happy.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 1:41 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by billp
I just took a taxi Monday morning from the airport to the apartment I'm staying in off Phaholyothin, not far from Victory Monument, in the northern part of the city centre.
They really could make it more user-friendly at the airport. It was a fair distance from where we came out of Arrivals to the Public Taxi desk (which is clearly labeled, though, with a blue sign) and we had to fend off at least 5 illegal taxi touts on the way (that's on the sidewalk in front of the building). The set-up would not have been appararent to a neophyte. It used to be much better at Don Muang.

At the desk, I immediately began saying I wanted the taxi on the metre, so they didn't even try any 450 baht flat rate guff. The driver mumbled something about 400 baht, but I immediately made it clear I was paying the metre plus 50 baht and I would pay the highway tolls upfront. The secret is, I think, to project confidence that you know the ropes. I doled out cash for him to pay the tolls: first 25 baht and then 40. He found our address right away (good driver) and the metre was 191. So I rounded that up to 200, added 20 baht tip because he was an honest driver who didn't try any fast ones, plus the airport surcharge of 50 baht. So the total was 335 baht. Not a lot less than the 450, but we didn't participate in the on-going scam, so I'm happy.
Well done, good price.

But did you really need to use to tollways?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:09 pm

Arrived 5:30am Monday morning.

I had to continually poke the taxi driver in the back because - HE KEPT FALLING ASLEEP! Most of the time, he was getting dangerously close to the concrete central reservation. I asked him if he wanted me to drive, but didn't understand.

BEWARE getting early morning public taxis. If I'm ever on that early LHR-BKK flight again, I'm getting an AOT limo. Life's worth more than the 700 baht difference.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
I used the public taxis last week when I arrived from HKG, and had no problems whatsoever. Meter went on without even asking, direct route taken to Sukhumvit (as far as I can tell as I don't know Bangkok very well). I ended up with a fare of around 200 baht I think. So I guess not all experiences need to be bad, but I was prepared for the worst having read this thread.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by WearyBizTrvlr
So I guess not all experiences need to be bad, but I was prepared for the worst having read this thread.
I can see how you would have had that impression. In the 10 years I've been using them I have rarely had problems with taxis in Bangkok or getting to or from the airport.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Rampo
I can see how you would have had that impression. In the 10 years I've been using them I have rarely had problems with taxis in Bangkok or getting to or from the airport.
I'm happy for your good fortune.

However that's not my experience. But now I know better how to handle taxi drivers in Bangkok, I don't really have any bad outcomes, although it's sometimes still a huge hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.