Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I may roam for data with my home SIM (they just published a rate of roughly 500 baht for 3 GB data in Thailand which would allow me to keep that SIM in my smartphone with calls/etc. so I keep my number) but still get a prepaid SIM for calls/SMS. As long as I show my passport when I get it though, I should be fine though, right?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
As long as I show my passport when I get it though, I should be fine though, right?
Yes.

I think they'll ask to see your passport before handing over a SIM?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by transpac

In theory, a tourist will be required to show their passport so that it can be registered with any SIM purchase.
Yes, at least the True booth at BKK will register your SIM. I'm guessing the other 2 do it also.

I went through BKK and used my still active True Move H tourist SIM. They registered it at the booth when I bought a 30-day plan for something like 300 Baht I think. Message about registration promo on the phone after that. ("Thanks for registering ...")

One of these days when that sim no longer works I'll get the non-tourist version I suppose. But I still did 2x 10 baht top-ups at T21 to extend the exp date through most of October. I'll be back before it expires.

Last time I looked I couldn't find the codes to buy the plan myself right on the phone. I wonder if they are back by now. The old ones stopped working a while ago.

-David
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know how I can find the international rates for dtac with the Happy Tourist SIM?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:42 pm

Does anyone know how I can find the international rates for dtac with the Happy Tourist SIM?
http://www.dtac.co.th/en/postpaid/se.../004.html#Tab2

It's in the "post paid" section of the website, but I believe the rates are the same for prepaid.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
http://www.dtac.co.th/en/postpaid/se.../004.html#Tab2

It's in the "post paid" section of the website, but I believe the rates are the same for prepaid.
Based on those rates, why would anyone use + instead of 004?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:01 pm

Better quality lines as opposed to internet transmission?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Each provider:

DTAC 004
AIS 005
TrueMove H 006

CAT 009 (00900)
TOT 008

has their own low-cost ILD prefix codes. You can use CAT or TOT from any mobile. In theory, these may offer reduced quality because of LCR, but usually they are fine (echo, delay, noise).

The savings, to some countries, can be significant.

I think all five of the above offer 4 baht/min to Israel (fixed or mobile), while 001/+ 972 might be 25 baht/min.

The three mobile providers also have 00400, 00500 and 00600, offering even more savings but these prefixes may not be available on every SIM/plan/promotion. These 00x00 prefixes always use VoIP for trunk routing.

Lastly, calling cards might offer the lowest rates? 1.5 baht/min to fixed line, 4 baht/min to a mobile, in Israel. (I assume Israel has a national termination fee for fixed and mobile which limit these min. rates?) You can buy calling cards in many convenience stores, and use free local access numbers, or call-back, so you do not have to pay for mobile minutes.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bomb scares end SIM registration holiday

Mobile prepaid customers will no longer get an extension of time to register their SIM cards, in a drastic move to avoid the potential use of unregistered phone numbers to detonate bombs remotely.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...ration-holiday
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unregistered mobile numbers to be terminated from 1 Oct

BANGKOK, 26 August 2015 (NNT) – Mobile carriers have been ordered to notify users of 3.6m unregistered mobile numbers regarding cellular service termination, prior to the deadline on 1 October 2015, NBTC Secretary-General says.

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) Secretary-General Takorn Tantasith has revealed that all unregistered mobile numbers in pre-paid services will be permanently terminated on 1 October 2015.

He has said that the NBTC today ordered mobile service carriers to notify their unregistered users via text message regarding the number's termination, prior to 1 September 2015, stating that service providers are legally required to notify mobile phone users 30 days before the termination of unregistered numbers commence.

Unregistered numbers can only receive calls and dial emergency service numbers, while making normal calls and internet access will be disabled. Users can still register their numbers within August 2015 to regain full cellular functionalities.

The NBTC Secretary-General has said that carriers and service providers who fail to comply to the order will face penalties according to the NBTC regulations. The Secretary-General highlights this crucial duty, as the neglect on this number registration could lead to national security issues, in the wake of the bombing incident.

The penalties for carriers failing to comply to the directive will include a 0.1 percent fine of their annual income for any acts against NBTC’s order, 0.3 percent fine for acts from users who are affecting public benefits, and 0.5 percent for acts that are considered unfair towards competitors.

-- NNT 2015-08-26
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'll be at BKK next Monday night, and plan on picking up a SIM for my unlocked iphone on my way out of the airport. Are there any changes to above recommendations, either based on the registration requirements or current prepaid offers? I'll be in-country for two weeks, Bangkok and Koh Samui.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will have to register your SIM.

These look like the current "Tourist" oriented SIMs:

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pr...-packages.html

(Note the new 6 month/50 baht and 12 month/100 baht expiration options, good deal and a nice offer in case you plan tor eturn.)

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/visitin...veller-en.aspx

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/s...try/2258?ln=en

Any of these which might meet your requirements should be adequate.

Maybe still ranking DTAC and TrueMove H at the top, followed by AIS, simply because AIS has very little spectrum, and it is shared with ~ 34 million customers.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like ~ 74 million pre-paid SIMs (out of 85 million) have been registered prior to Wednesday's (Oct. 1) deadline. So that leaves 11 million, of which many are probably dormant, without service.

SIM registration deadline passes tonight

The Nation September 30, 2015 5:26 pm

The 11 million prepaid mobile-phone users who had not registered their SIM cards by Wednesday's deadline will lose all services at midnight, said the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC).

Among those 11 million users, 5 million are customers of Advanced Info Service, 4 million are with Total Access Communication (DTAC) and the rest with TrueMove H.

The NBTC claims that the strict regulation that all prepaid mobile-phone users must use their identity cards to register their SIM cards is due to national-security concerns.

There are 110 million mobile-phone subscriptions in Thailand, of which 85 million numbers are for prepaid services.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
So, can you still buy a DTAC SIM at most any 7-11 and register it with your passport on the spot?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr
So, can you still buy a DTAC SIM at most any 7-11 and register it with your passport on the spot?
No clue. 7/11's are part of the massive conglomerate CP Group (via CPAll), which also owns TrueMove H. Not sure if 7/11's can now sell competitive stuff? You can certainly get TrueMove H kit at 7/11's.

And some 7/11's may be able to register a SIM, assuming the clerks have a smartphone and know how to use the NBTC 2-Shots application. YMMV.

I was in one of the 72 nearby 7/11's and there was a Middle Eastern chap yelling at the clerks about registering his SIM. Clearly there was some disagreement, or misunderstanding.

I'd recommend a full(-er) service shop from one of the major service providers in one the malls, or the airport assuming the queues aren't too long, for a new SIM purchase/registration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.