Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by transpac
if you need a different sim for the 4G/LTE pre-paid service or not.

For pre-paid 4G/LTE, in the case of TrueMove H I think you need this specific SIM:

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/4g/s...try/3340?ln=en

and then you need to subscribe to a specific 4G/LTE plan.

For DTAC, I think any standard pre-paid SIM can have a 4G-capable plan (Double Net 399/650/799) layered onto it.

Personally I wouldn't sweat the 4G thing; 3G should be more than sufficient. In fact it might be superior for most mobile data applications?
Do you or anyone know what is the different between 4G iNet and 4G iSmart?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Typically, iNet refers to a mobile-data (only) centric plan, say for a 3G tablet, while an iSMart package refers to a combination of voice minutes and data (or a lower per minute voice rate), say for a smartphone.

But you'd have to grind through the T's & C's to figure out the exact difference. Obviously in that link I'd go with the iNet package, but you can get 3 GB (1.5 GB x 2) for 399 on a double Net promo) so I'd probably go for that.

Each provider has so many plans/promotions on-going, and honors old ones forever, so it is impossible to stay up to date on all the offers.

I see TrueMove H also has double Net promos:

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topp...nlimit_en.html
Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Data point

I had to be in Bangkok, and Koh Samui in and out of Thailand 4-5 times during a 15 day period. The Truemove kiosk at the airport was easy to use and I picked up a plan that covered the time I needed. It was a little confusing at first figuring out what I wanted but once I decided the rest of the process was quick. The guys at the desk load the base sim for the plan you want and then add the add ons that give you unlimited data etc.

The updates and info I got texted to me from True move was all in Thai and got a little old, but it was just advertising. The access worked. Google maps and navigation worked well in almost all situations. I had some slow downs in BKK. I would use it again.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:53 am

Typically, iNet refers to a mobile-data (only) centric plan, say for a 3G tablet, while an iSMart package refers to a combination of voice minutes and data (or a lower per minute voice rate), say for a smartphone.

But you'd have to grind through the T's & C's to figure out the exact difference. Obviously in that link I'd go with the iNet package, but you can get 3 GB (1.5 GB x 2) for 399 on a double Net promo) so I'd probably go for that.

Each provider has so many plans/promotions on-going, and honors old ones forever, so it is impossible to stay up to date on all the offers.

I see TrueMove H also has double Net promos:

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topp...nlimit_en.html
Thanks! I might the double net promo
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:37 pm

Thank you all for your feedback.

I am quite confused as to whether or not it is recommended to purchase the sim at the airport. Also, is it 45thb for the sim and 200thb for the service?

Also, would you recommend just using your cell phone from the States or purchasing a phone upon arrival.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Basically you can do whatever you want, whatever works for you.

Maybe best to start with your phone? Is it unlocked? Will it work in Thailand? Will it roam in Thailand? Do you want to be able to receive calls made to your U.S. number?

You can purchase a SIM at the airport, or at any one of the billion mobile phone shops/conveninece stores. Maybe purchase one at the airport if the wait is not too long?

Standard SIMs are 49/50 baht, then you add value (top-up), then subscribe to a mobile data plan. Tourist SIMs typically have bundled voice minutes along with data, and are sold as a SIM with the service.

Maybe if you shared details re: your phone/requirements we could make better recommendations?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:49 am

Can I get a standard DTAC SIM card at BKK Suvarnabhumi Airport or just the Tourist SIM?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I had time to kill before departing BKK in late November, so decided to purchase SIM card there instead of in town like I normally do (they didn't have the free SIM cards at Immigration like I got last time).

150 Baht included 100 Baht worth of minutes, and I didn't run out for a week (well, I don't talk much, see my handle ).

Had to set my alarm in Hong Kong, and when I turned on my phone it showed that I had service.

And at both booths there were plenty of tourists receiving information on various plans, so there are plenty of options from both companies, though don't recall the names right now.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:44 am

Just remember last year where I got a free Tourist SIM at the Immigration. Tried to activate the package which was shown at the flyer provided with the SIM, but all the True Move staff told me, that its out of date and impossible to activate it They forces me to buy a new SIM card from them for a lot more THB. I declined and toped up the free SIM in the Convenience Shop at the airport, after that I was able to get the cheaper package which was on the flyer. So they lied to me just to earn a little Bath. I guess thats Thailand, too.
So now I hope I can get a DTAC SIM at the airport, not a tourist SIM because the common packaged will fit better to my needs. If not I will try to get one in Krabi.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deadline looms for prepaid mobile users in Thailand to register

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busi...-30252420.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...d-to-register/

As I read it, the deadline might be 31 July 2015. As with all things here YMMV. Maybe pop round your provider on your next visit with your passport? We went through a similar exercise circa 2006.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: OneWorld, SkyTeam
Originally Posted by 31570324
Just remember last year where I got a free Tourist SIM at the Immigration. Tried to activate the package which was shown at the flyer provided with the SIM, but all the True Move staff told me, that its out of date and impossible to activate it They forces me to buy a new SIM card from them for a lot more THB. I declined and toped up the free SIM in the Convenience Shop at the airport, after that I was able to get the cheaper package which was on the flyer. So they lied to me just to earn a little Bath. I guess thats Thailand, too.
So now I hope I can get a DTAC SIM at the airport, not a tourist SIM because the common packaged will fit better to my needs. If not I will try to get one in Krabi.
True did the same thing to me last year, they said something about it not being available anymore, but I took the free sim like I usually do, bought a top up at 7-11 and was good to go.

Is there any update on the airport kiosk availability of SIM cards - are these the only ones available?

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/s...try/2258?ln=en
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, those look like the current tourist SIMs from TrueMove H.

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/visitin...veller-en.aspx

http://dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/product...-packages.html

You should expect that you will have to register your SIM. TrueMove H takes a photo of your passport picture page and then associates that your your SIM (IMSI), number/account. Most tourist SIMs have limited expiry, ~ 90 days max., so that they can be quickly recycled.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: OneWorld, SkyTeam
Yes, those look like the current tourist SIMs from TrueMove H.

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/visitin...veller-en.aspx

http://dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/product...-packages.html

You should expect that you will have to register your SIM. TrueMove H takes a photo of your passport picture page and then associates that your your SIM (IMSI), number/account. Most tourist SIMs have limited expiry, ~ 90 days max., so that they can be quickly recycled.
Sorry, my question was more "is this the only ones the TrueMoveH kiosk is offering at the airport now?" - there has always been a "free sim" option on the side which was always a better deal than the ones they "recommended" you buy. It seems with the new registry requirement, those grab and go free sims are a thing of the past.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:39 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Informpage
Sorry, my question was more "is this the only ones the TrueMoveH kiosk is offering at the airport now?" - there has always been a "free sim" option on the side which was always a better deal than the ones they "recommended" you buy. It seems with the new registry requirement, those grab and go free sims are a thing of the past.
If you only want voice then probably. But the 299 Baht sim comes with 1.5G of 3G. That's a pretty great deal in my book.

I do recall seeing SIM cards on the customer side of the counter that I rhough would be really easy to steal, so maybe they still do. But registration laws are probably forcing them to get passports.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"is this the only ones the TrueMoveH kiosk is offering at the airport now?"

My best guess is that all three major service provider's (AIS, DTAC, TrueMove H) store-fronts at SBIA/BKK (level 2, outside of Customs) will try to steer most customers towards the "tourist/traveler" SIMs. No idea if you could get a more "standard" SIM at one of these airport shops? You may not be able to get 4G/LTE (from DTAC or TrueMove H, where available) with a tourist SIM, but you'll have to review the T's & C's for detail on that.

I think any of these tourist SIMs can be subsequently topped up, and any available pre-paid promotion could be applied, once you've used up your allotment. Other than the inital allotment(s) and some limited expiry these are, at least based on my cursory review, more or less like just about any other SIM.

Given the potential added service time which registration will involve, the queues at the airport might take even longer. You could of course buy a SIM at one of the billion or so shops anywhere in the Kingdom.

All SIMs are supposed to be registered by 31 July 2015, so there may not necessarily be an absolute requirement for registration as of today. As with all things here, YMMV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.