Search
Old May 18, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Print Wikipost

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2003, 6:21 am

Baan Khanitha's largely frequented by tourists and hence their food, while not bad, is considerably toned down compared to the real thing. Not bad for a first taste of Thai food, but rather tasteless after two months in the city. =)

Personally, I'd say the best Thai food I've had so far was at Saffron, atop the Banyan Tree on Sathon Rd. It's quite expensive though (1000+ baht a head)... but it's also excellently located for a nightcup at the aptly named Vertigo Bar above.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Gold
I would HIGHLY recommend the Blue Elephant.

In a gorgeous old house, beautiful dining room, attentive service, excellent food.

You can also take a cooking class - I took a five day cooking class with them back in July.

The chef is featured in the October (November?) Saveur magazine as one of the top three most innovative chefs in Bangkok.

The blue elephant also has a web site.

Old Oct 19, 2003, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Mmmmm... I second the Blue Elephant.

I took cooking school there also (with another FTer) and thought it was fabulous. Great recipes, very hands on... I could have died a happy (culinary-wise) woman after that day. (A warning to anyone who is looking at the school... although they had the time listed from like 8 to noon, we didn't get out of there before 2:30... too much to eat and lots of socializing to do! Most of our class had to leave to get on to another activity... I was glad we stuck around for even MORE food!)
Old Oct 19, 2003, 7:35 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Paladin:
The blue elephant also has a web site.</font>
http://www.blueelephant.com/bangkok/
Old Dec 22, 2003, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
A subscription to the Wall Street Journal online may be required. However, I highly recommend reading their guide to Bangkok's finest restaurants (focus on casual but delicious).

http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB1...cle-outset-box

Suda is one of my all time favorites. I also highly recommend Rut & Lek as well as Ta Yang Grou.

In case you can't access the whole article, the recommendations are,

• Rut & Lek, at the intersection of Yaowarat and Soi Texas (Yaowarat is a one-way road through Chinatown. Soi Texas, home to the Texas parking garage, comes in from the right. Rut & Lek is on the far corner as you head in the direction of the traffic.) Tel: 01-632-2634. Open: daily, 6:30 p.m. to 2:45 a.m. Prices: Three people can stuff themselves for $25, including beer. No credit cards accepted.

Krua Rommai
• Krua Rommai, 16 Sukhumvit soi 36 (take the Skytrain to Thong Lo; soi 36 has a Shell service station on the corner and the restaurant is a short walk down the soi). Tel: 02-661-2340. Open: Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Prices: Two people can eat for $10, including beer. No credit cards accepted.

Shahrazad
• Shahrazad, 6/8 Sukhumvit soi 3/1 (a narrow street between sois 3 and 5). Tel: 02-251-3666. Open: daily, 9 a.m. to 3 a.m. Prices: A typical dish is $2 to $3. No credit cards accepted.

• Ta Yang Grou, 5/4 Soi Ngamdulpee (just off Rama IV, a block south of Sathorn Road, near the Pinnacle Hotel. The yellow and red sign in front is in Chinese, not Thai script). Tel: 02-679-7019. Open: daily, 10 a.m.-10:30 p.m. Prices: Most dishes will set you back $2 or less. On my last visit, seven of us had 12 dishes and lots of beer. The bill came to $40. No credit cards.

• Royal India, 392/1 Chakrophet Road (across from the ATM Department store near Chinatown; look for the big Royal India sign on the sidewalk that directs you down a little alley). Tel: 02-221-6565. Open: daily, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Prices: Almost every dish is less than $2. No credit cards accepted.

• Suda, Sukhumvit soi 14 (only a short distance down the soi, near the Asok Skytrain stop). Tel: 02-229-4527. Open: Monday to Saturday, 11 a.m. to midnight, Sunday 4 p.m. to midnight. Prices: Most dishes around $1.50 to $2. No credit cards accepted.

• Biscotti, Regent Hotel, Ratchadamri Road (at the Ratchadamri Skytrain stop). Tel: 02-251-6127. Open: daily, noon-2:30 p.m. and 6 p.m.-10:30 p.m. Prices: Pizzas and pastas around $7, main courses around $15. All major credit cards accepted.

• Pen Restaurant, 2068/4 Chan Road (just in from Narathiwat Ratchanakharin Road about two kilometers south of Sathorn Road). Tel: 02-287-2907. Open: daily, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. Prices: You can easily spend $30 a person, twice that if you order expensive seafood. Accepts Visa, Mastercard.

• La Boulange, 2-2/1 soi Convent (just in from Silom Road, near the Saladeng Skytrain stop). Tel: 02-631-0354. Open: daily, 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. (In the evening, only snacks such as quiche are served.) Prices: low almost beyond comprehension. No credit cards accepted.

• Nai So, 3/1 Maitrijitr Road (at the five-way Phlabphlaachai intersection near Chinatown, adjacent to the Wat Pub Pa Chai temple). Tel: 02-226-2578. Open: daily, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Prices: Four people can eat well for $25. No credit cards accepted
Old Jan 28, 2004, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Julie, the Executive Floor Manager at the Conrad recommended:

Lan Na Thai (Classic Thai food) - Kasara (Northern Indian food) - Face Bar

No. 29 Soi 38, Sukhumvit Road (E6, Thong Lo on the BTS, Soi 38 is directly South, walk down about 500 m, on the left, in what looks to be a traditional Thai wooden house).

I went to the Indian "section" and thought that the food was quite good. Moderately expensive, ~ 1,800 (I think?) THB for two, incl a couple of drinks.

P.S. some decent hawkers at the entrance to Soi 38 off Sukhomvit as well.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 3:29 pm
R&R

If you can find the front door to the Gabbage & Condoms place, you will be seated at a oilcloth covered table inside or out. Don't know why the signs direct you into the budget cafeteria in front and to the side of it.

After LQQKing over the menu, the majority of the choices were DEEP fried or stir fired, I got up and left, which is very unusual for me. This was after spending time trying to find the Soi from bad instructions given on some other string.
It just didn't seem clean and fresh smelling, as I expected. Too much deep fry smell! The S&P is more inviting and has NON-fried choices at bargain prices. So I guess I passed on a complimentary condom, as well!

Old Mar 3, 2004, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is my vote for Ban Chiang (see rjh's post above). Highly recommended. Consider a reservation if you want to be seated outside. Resonably priced, and my friend who is from Issan, said that the food was excellent.

Another recommendation: Ruan Thapthim Thai Restaurant, 4 Sukhumvit 22 Klong-Toei Bangkok 10110 Tel 0-2663-5115. A small restaurant, maybe 8 tables inside and a few more outside. Everything was excellent, I was with Thai and Japanese friends, not sure what was ordered over two separate meals, but I plan to return. Reasonably priced.

I went to the Blue Elephant. It was good, but not great, and a little bit pricey.

I also went to the SEAFOOD MARKET AND RESTAURANT 89 Sukhumvit Soi 24 , Sukhumvit Rd., Bangkok 10110, Thailand. A huge and famous restaurant where you shop for fish, vegetables, fruit etc. Then the fish is cooked per your request. Quite impressive. Also expensive. Be sure to check out the kitchen which is viewable from the outside. I counted 75 cooks/preps!

Old Mar 4, 2004, 6:37 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by transpac:
I also went to the SEAFOOD MARKET AND RESTAURANT 89 Sukhumvit Soi 24 , Sukhumvit Rd., Bangkok 10110, Thailand. A huge and famous restaurant where you shop for fish, vegetables, fruit etc. Then the fish is cooked per your request. Quite impressive. Also expensive. Be sure to check out the kitchen which is viewable from the outside. I counted 75 cooks/preps!</font>
Chef Tony Bourdain ("A Cooks Tour", "Kitchen Confidential") went to this place. Looked like a HUGE Selection of seafood to choose from unless the cameraman was getting just the right shot.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
Chef Tony Bourdain ("A Cooks Tour", "Kitchen Confidential") went to this place. Looked like a HUGE Selection of seafood to choose from unless the cameraman was getting just the right shot. </font>
On the Cook's Tour show I noticed the cash register when Tony Bourdain paid for his seafood. I think it was something like 20,000 THB! I assumed he was buying for a lot of people!

There is quite a large selection of seafood. Dozens of crabs, lobsters and shrimps to choose from, along with just about anything else you can think of. Save room for some oysters displayed at the end, tasty at 35 THB ea. One cool thing is that you have an assistant who walks with you, gathering up the things you want. S/he walks you through the selections, including vegetables and fruit. For two people I spent $60 USD. There are preparation/cooking charges, maybe 100 THB per dish, plus beer/wine. In total I think we spent $90 USD for two. An equivalent dinner in the U.S., if you could find it, would probably run ~ $150 USD. I've been told there are similar establishments in Bangkok, that might be a bit smaller and less expensive?
Old Mar 15, 2004, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Hi Guys and Gals!
I was writing another FTer who has asked for some restaurant advice for BKK (Thai, but also Japanese and Western restaurant advice). So after writing him, I decided to post it here. If any of you have any more to add, feel free to do so. All of these places are either in walking distance from Silom Road or are adjacent to Skytrain (BTS) stations.

Italian:
"Zanotti", down Soi Saladang, just past Saladang Place serviced apartments (about 100 meters from Silom Road) Reservations are a good idea. I have always had decent food and service there. I've also had good Italian food at the restaurant in the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Hotel.

Drinks/snacks:
The bar at the Peninsula Hotel, across the river (by river taxi)

Thai:
"Celadon", in the Sukhothai Hotel, for a lovely Thai experience--a special meal, at VERY expensive prices for BKK--but of course, about $15 per person isn't too bad, when you think about it. And amazing service, too. They also have a gorgeous brunch and a great "Chocolate Buffet" in the afternoons....

Thai:
"Just One", a very cool restaurant actually quite near to Babylon, kind of between Babylon and the Malaysia Hotel. It's got a huge menu of just about any Thai dish you could think of. Reasonable prices, lots of foreign residents of BKK eat there (meaning it's good, and good value). I don't know the exact address, but it's on the corner by Honey House (I remember that sign), and if you're going from Babylon to the Malaysia Hotel, and get to the 7-11, you can see the entrance and the kitchen just across the street from the 7-11.

Japanese:
Zen, several branches--excellent, authentic ( I lived in Japan for 5 years, so I know) Japanese food, at stunningly cheap prices (get a set meal for about $3-6, including sushi, or order a la carte). There is one branch in Siam Center, also one I think on Convent Road/Silom Road corner area?

Thai/Chinese:
I like to eat street food, but since it's hard to explain where I eat street food, I'll send you to a place with lots of "local" style Thai foods (while expensive for Thai folks, the $1-2 per person total should be affordable for you):
Go to the Emporium Department store (Phrom Phong BTS station), and go to the top floor, where there is a supermarket. Just wander around--gorgeous Thai sweets, etc--also lots of prepared foods, for sale, very cheap and high quality. I sometimes bring home to the USA little coconut cakes, cookies, etc, from the prepared foods area.
If you go kind of behind the KFC and to the right, there is a hallway leading to the local Thai/Chinese food court. Look at all the foods on offer, buy some food tickets from the people sitting at the counters near the entrance area, near the drinks stand (you can get your money back if you don't use all the tickets). Great Chinese soups, duck, chicken, also curries, noodle dishes, thai food too. Yummy and quite safe--I've eaten there several times. Get a thai iced coffee ("KA-FA-YEN") from the drinks stand, grab a table by the windows....a great view, clean, and the food is good, without the worries! It's very busy, so it doesn't sit all day--a good sign for food court/street food operations
Upstairs from there (escalators near KFC) is a great movie theater--like $2-3 for first-run movies. Check the schedule in the Bangkok Post. I have seen lots of good movies there, including all three Lord of the Rings films! A nice break from the afternoon heat, too.
Hope this helps! I'll let you know if I think of any more......
Jeff
PS--On your first or second night in BKK, take a taxi to the night flower market and just walk around there--buy lots of flowers to enjoy in your room during your stay! It's like $2 for a big bunch of roses, etc.....even if you don't buy anything, it's SO beautiful just to look at all the colors, smells, and sights of the market. One of my favorite markets in the world, and very few tourists, too. Meaning very few people bothering you too-- a very authentic local experience.
Also go to Chatuchak market if you're in BKK on a weekend. Sat/Sun they have an absolutely HUGE outdoor market that I've brought many gifts home from.....there's everything from t-shirts to furniture to housewares to incense burners to live animals (!). It's huge, like I said, so it takes some stamina. But it's also fascinating, so it's easy to go--it's not bad, just big. I like it because it's not set up for tourists-- it's for the local market, but there are also lots of tourists there, so there is really a great variety of things to look at and buy.
Enjoy!
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:15 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Gold
The WSJ article makes all those places sound great. Has anyone tried any of them, specifically the Rut and Lek seafood place?

Off to BKK tomorrow, well, later today!
Old Mar 21, 2004, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Paladin:
The WSJ article makes all those places sound great. Has anyone tried any of them, specifically the Rut and Lek seafood place?

Off to BKK tomorrow, well, later today!
</font>

I've been to Rut& Lek, Suda (many times),
Shahrazad, Krua Rommai and Ta Yang Grou.

Suda (short walk from Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit) is the closest to a "general" Thai restaurant with a huge variety of typical Thai dishes. I've been Celadon (recommended above, at the Sukothai), the Thai restaurant at the Oriental, and the Thai restaurant at the Regent (now Four Seasons). While all those hotel restaurants were nice and good, IMHO Suda is head and shoulders above them in quality of food. I can't recommend it highly enough. However, definitely be prepared for the food to be hot.

Rut & Lek is also excellent. While Bangkok isn't known for great Chinese food, I thought Ta Yang Grou was amazing (not particularly fancy, just incredibly well executed & delicious).

While I thought Krua Rommai was good, I wasn't quite as impressed as the WSJ reviewer. I also liked Shahrazad (short walk from JW Marriott).

I've been to a number of other restuarants Sesser recommends in other cities and have found his reviews extremely reliable. Happy eating!
Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:01 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
"Zen....There is one branch in Siam Center". We ate at Zen three times during our last visit to BKK. It is located on the 4th floor of the Siam Center. Exit the BTS station and walk to the second set of escalators. Ride them to the fourth floor and Zen is directly in front of you as you get off the escalator. Dinner for two including one beer each will run between $15 and $22 including tempura and a full sushi set. The restaurant is always busy, but the waits are normally short. Quite acceptable for an easy and safe dinner in Bangkok.

Le Dalat: One of my favorites, but a caveat. It charges ex-patriate prices.

Central Department Store food court 7th floor-Chit Lom. For a late breakfast at a price much less than the buffet at your hotel head here after 10a.m. opening. Also good for lunch and dinner at a cost only slightly greater than on the street. And, they accept credit cards.

[This message has been edited by opushomes (edited Mar 25, 2004).]
Old Apr 21, 2004, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Are there any good Chinese restaurants in BKK Chinatown?

Also, which hotels boasts the best buffet in town? I tried Sheraton's Sunday Brunch and it blew off the rest that I've tried on my last trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.