Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
Thanks for the advice -prob just gonna get a cocktail or two there
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by JimJ321
Thanks for the advice -prob just gonna get a cocktail or two there
$12+ for a beer!!! Nice views though.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
A group of us dined at Sirroco a few years ago. Not too impressed. Very expensive, nothing to write home about. And it was COLD inside. The restaurant had a stash of scarves (pashminas) to hand out to ladies who were shivering.

I do like Sky Bar though. I typically have one drink and sip it very slowly, as they are so expensive. The view is just amazing.

Have you looked at Red Sky? That's the restaurant at the top of Central World mall, actually at the top of the Centara Grande Hotel, which is attached to the mall. Lovely! Not quite the same veiw as Sky Bar, but still very nice.

Another option, V9, the wine bar atop the Silom Sofitel. V9 isn't outside dining. Red Sky is. Fantastic if the weather is good.

Bed Supper Club... I don't know if folks talk about this place much anymore. It is certainly unique. I've not been for a few years. It's still there... Sukhumvit soi 11. Since you (JimJ321) are on a honeymoon, you might enjoy this place for dinner, and then move over to the nightclub side for drinks and dancing (?).

One more suggestion, since I assume you will be in BKK for more than just one meal on this honeymoon. Take a look at the Long Table. It is in the Sukhumvit area. Soi 16 to be exact. It is on or about the 25th floor, with a nice view. There really is a very LONG table for dining, but also smaller tables if you would prefer that. The bar has some very nice outisde seating. Again, if the weather is nice, it is very pleasant.

Enjoy your special meal(s)! Bangkok is fabulous! I was just there in July, and am returning in October and then again for the Christmas/New Year holidays.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by sim510
Bed Supper Club... I don't know if folks talk about this place much anymore. It is certainly unique. I've not been for a few years. It's still there... Sukhumvit soi 11. Since you (JimJ321) are on a honeymoon, you might enjoy this place for dinner, and then move over to the nightclub side for drinks and dancing (?).
I've never been. The club part isn't my scene. Do they serve dinner as such? Do they have a dining room or is it food on the sofas?

Originally Posted by sim510
One more suggestion, since I assume you will be in BKK for more than just one meal on this honeymoon. Take a look at the Long Table. It is in the Sukhumvit area. Soi 16 to be exact. It is on or about the 25th floor, with a nice view. There really is a very LONG table for dining, but also smaller tables if you would prefer that. The bar has some very nice outisde seating. Again, if the weather is nice, it is very pleasant.
Walk up Asoke from Suk towards the Queen Sirikit Convention Center. Bear left at your first opportunity onto a side street. Long Table will be in a tall building on your right. It has both outdoor and indoor dining. IMO more of a tapas place than "dinner." The outdoor area isn't at the top of the building, so you'll only be able to see, perhaps, half of the horizon.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:50 pm

Dr HFH, as far as I know, it is still dinner served on 'beds' which are more comfortable than it really sounds. The food was consistently very good every time I was there... but as I said, it has been a few years since my last visit. They used to have 'surprise menu' night, which meant you ate whatever the cook was preparing. The wait staff came out and asked patrons if there were any foods you could NOT have (allergies and whatever) which I was pleased to see, as I do have allergies to some foods.

The 'entertainment' was always interesting. It ranged from 'Art Film' being shown on a big screen, to girls with perfume bottles walking around and striking poses and spraying fragrance into the air, to DJs (good ones) and even a mechanic with a full-sized car (no motor) for him to 'pretend' to be working on. The mechanic was dressed in white bibs and he had billy bob teeth. That was a hoot!! One of my most memorable evenings at the Bed. I have not spent any time at all in the night club side.... only a quick walk in and back out just to have a look. It was crowded and loud with music. The Supper Club side has the music at a much more comfortable level... for conversation with dinner partners.

The view at Long Table isn't as good as some places, such as Sky Bar, but it was pleasant on an evening when the air was fresh and 'clean' that many floors up! A rather limited menu, and yes, tapas does explain what it is.... good choice of a word. I have not dined AT the big long table to know if the menu in the actual diningroom is any more diverse than the one in the bar. We ate enough in the bar to make a meal, out of finger foods. There was no need to move into the diningroom to get more food.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:19 am

Thanks sim and dr. Yeah, twelve bucks for a beer makes me mad in new York so I can only imagine my response in bkk. I think the bed place or long table sound pretty cool - that may be the best option. I will send a review once we get back.
Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:58 am

Jim... good luck to you and your bride. I hope you have a fabulous honeymoon in Thailand!
Carol
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
Hi, I rent a serviced apt in State Tower and eat at Lebua abit...not great at Sirocco...but a nice table outside at night is great...

if you'd like company, let me know...am bored here...
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:43 pm

Ootivero
Just sent you a pm. Would love to meet with you or any other flyer talkers
Jim
Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Best Local Thai Restaurant- Bangkok / Sukhumvit Rd.

I am looking for best local restaurants close to Sukhumvit. Specifically, best curries and pad Thai
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by SFO86
I am looking for best local restaurants close to Sukhumvit. Specifically, best curries and pad Thai
Pad thai is a dime a dozen and, generally, Thai's shun it.

If you want good 'local' places get out of farang-town.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum (Sigh), all others as well......
Good local place

I forget the address but the name of this "for locals" lunch spot is " Let's Eat!"

I ate there many times while in BKK and it was always good!

http://www.lost-in-bangkok.com/eng/bangkok/Sukhumvit/LetsEat.asp^
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks! I keep going to a place off Soi 5, but want to try others.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:56 pm

Anybody can make that stuff. Even I do a more than passable job. Don't be afraid of street food. Good info here: http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/eat
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:02 am

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Thanks! I keep going to a place off Soi 5, but want to try others.
Which place?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.