Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oct 25-29: Royal Cremation Ceremony for His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Oct 25-29: Royal Cremation Ceremony for His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej

I thought it would be a good idea for a thread concerning the upcoming ceremony and related activities. For anyone with Thai travel during this period, it will certainly have some impact.

The Funeral will take place over a 5 day period (Oct. 25-29). It will take place at Sanam Luang, which is in front of the Grand Palace.
The cremation day will be Oct. 26, which has been announced as a public holiday.

It is expected that throngs of Thais will be making their way to Bangkok to participate in the proceedings and pay respect to their revered monarch. My guess is Bangkok will be at a standstill, especially on the 26th.

News article: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...mation-8791334

Flyertalk thread from original announcement of His Majesty's passing:RIP King Bhumibol Adulyadej

I am sure additional info will be available as we get closer to the ceremony.
It has also been announced that the funeral site will be open during the month of November for the public to visit.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hard to say what the impacts might be as the event is pretty much unprecedented. Given that access to the grounds will be limited I can't see throngs of Thais coming to Bangkok? Rather, as with past birthday celebrations, each province, city, town and village will set up a large video screen with a broadcast from Bangkok.

The Royal Cremation buildings are definitely worth a visit, if you can get in. The Merumas looks quite amazing.

http://sakchaip.tripod.com/culture/royalground.html

(note this map is for the ceremony for Rama 9's mother)

October 23 is also a national holiday: Chulalongkhorn (Rama 5). The whole week may end up becoming a holiday?

And this Friday, July 28 is the current King's birthday, although it may not become a national holiday until next year?

December 5 may remain a holiday (Rama 9's birthday/Father's Day), although tradition is that the day of his passing can/will become a national holiday ( October 13 ).

Last edited by transpac; Jul 26, 2017 at 9:27 pm
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd be more concerned that the government would probably decree restrictions similar to Buddhist holidays in terms of limitations on serving alcohol, music venues, etc... in order to show respect to King Bhumibol.

That's never fun for tourists.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alcohol bans have generally been during elections (obviously no chance of those again), or during religious holidays. IMLE, royal holidays remain unaffected, but as I said this event is unprecedented so a ban on Thursday, Oct. 26 might not be unexpected?

Wan Awk Phansa, the end of Buddhist Lent, may be a ban day? I think that's October 5 this year?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I would be shocked if they allowed alcohol sales, at least the day of cremation. Was about to post with suggestion folks stock up on alcoholic beverages.

As was pointed out, it's not like we have a precedent in modern times.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by transpac
Hard to say what the impacts might be as the event is pretty much unprecedented. Given that access to the grounds will be limited I can't see throngs of Thais coming to Bangkok? Rather, as with past birthday celebrations, each province, city, town and village will set up a large video screen with a broadcast from Bangkok.
I read one article that quoted a Government spokesman indicating huge crowds expected, and actually indicated tourists would probably be wise to avoid...or something to that effect. I can't find that article now.

I agree the impacts are hard to predict due to the unprecedented nature of the event.

Good article for an overview of the daily events:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/...oyal-cremation

Edit: Found an article with the statement about avoiding Bangkok during the period. Might be over-reaction, but it is out there as an official statement/travel advisory.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/201...y-october-2017

The country’s tourism minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangul has issued an official Thai travel advisory for 25-29 October 2017, suggesting visitors should aim to be at beaches and other destinations in the north and south of the country instead of Bangkok. October 26 is the day of the ceremony itself and has been declared a national holiday.

“Thailand still welcomes tourists for all activities as well as conferences and seminars which will continue as usual” she told the Nation. “However to avoid traffic congestion during the royal cremation period in late October foreign tourists should travel outside of the capital if possible.”

Last edited by goodeats21; Jul 26, 2017 at 6:38 am Reason: Added
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: most of them
The crematorium will be open to the public Nov 1-30 (at least). I am going to be in BKK for a couple days the first week of Nov so I am hoping to see it but I suspect it will be huge crowds
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I read one article that quoted a Government spokesman indicating huge crowds expected, and actually indicated tourists would probably be wise to avoid...or something to that effect.
Originally Posted by glennaa11
The crematorium will be open to the public Nov 1-30 (at least). I am going to be in BKK for a couple days the first week of Nov so I am hoping to see it but I suspect it will be huge crowds
I have some long time expat friends who attempted to pay respects not so long ago and were treated in a rude and desultory manner and not allowed to proceed onto the grounds.

I have other friends who met no open hostility as such.

My own decision was to stay away and that's what I'd generally recommend to non-Thais. FWIW of course.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found this site which has a lot of detail, including on the six processions.

http://www.kingrama9.net/EN

There will obviously be full, non-stop TV coverage, with at least one channel, or SAP, with English commentary.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37

My own decision was to stay away and that's what I'd generally recommend to non-Thais.
If I were in the kingdom at that time, I'd stay away as far as I could @:-)

In the heat, humidity under hot sun with millions of my (not) closest friends
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: EK Pleb
As you said… this event is pretty much unprecedented… as far as the Thais are concerned. The most recent events, which were not quite on a par were the cremation of the late King’s mother and the late Supreme Patriarch (Head of the Order of Buddhist Monks in Thailand). Both events saw the streets along the precession routes in Bangkok lined with tens of thousands of Thai people. Also when the late King’ body was moved from the hospital to Grand Palace the roads along the route were also lined with tens of thousands of Thai people at very short notice.

Details of the route that will be taken to move the King’s body from the Grand Palace to the Cremation site on Sanam Luang (approximately 1km apart) have not yet been revealed, but I suspect that it will not be the most direct. I imagine that as access to the cremation site itself will strictly limited, and the funeral precession will take a convoluted route in order to give the Thai people an opportunity to say their final farewells. If this is the case, much of Old Bangkok area will be closed to traffic.

Up to last weekend (23/07/17) over 6 million people have paid their respects to the late King who is currently laying in state in the Throne Hall at the Grand Palace. I am fairly sure that given the respect and admiration that most Thai’s have for the late King there will be a massive turnout for the funeral/cremation on the 26 October when his body is moved.

The funeral procession will be a spectacular sight, but I think that foreign visitors will need to show considerable respect for the occasion and not just use it as a photo opportunity.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:23 am

The Royal Cremation buildings are definitely worth a visit, if you can get in. The Merumas looks quite amazing.
The Royal Cremation Site on Sanam Luang is currently a building site and access to it is strictly limited to pass holders only. I’m given to understand from recent press reports that members of the public will be allowed to visit the site in November.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Royal Cremation Ceremony

The Royal Cremation of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej

13 June 2017

The Royal Cremation of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej is scheduled for 25-29 October 2017. Thursday, 26 October, will be the royal cremation day, and it has been declared a public holiday by the Cabinet to allow the people to take part in paying a final tribute to His Majesty the late King. The process of the Royal Cremation will last five days.

On the first day, 25 October, a royal merit-making ceremony will be held at 17.30 hr, in preparation for moving the royal urn to the Royal Crematorium at Sanam Luang ceremonial ground. It will take place at Dusit Maha Prasat Throne Hall in the Grand Palace.

On the second day, 26 October, the royal urn will be moved from Dusit Maha Prasat Throne Hall to the Royal Crematorium at 07.00 hr. The Royal Cremation Ceremony will take place between 17.30 hr and 22.00 hr at the Royal Crematorium. The actual cremation is scheduled for 22.00 hr.

Festivities to pay a final tribute and farewell to the His Majesty King Bhumibol and to mark the ending of an official mourning period include public performances, such as the khon masked drama, puppet shows, and orchestras. They will start at 6:00 p.m. on the Royal Cremation Day, 26 October 2017, and run through 6:00 a.m. on the following day.

The collection of royal relics will take place on the third day, 27 October at 08.00 hr, at the Royal Crematorium.

On the fourth day, 28 October at 17.30 hr, a merit-making ceremony will be held for the royal relics at Dusit Maha Prasat Throne Hall.

On the fifth day, 29 October at 10.30 hr, the royal relics will be moved from Dusit Maha Prasat Throne Hall to be enshrined in the Heavenly Abode in Chakri Maha Prasat Throne Hall. Later, on the same day, at 17.30 hr, the royal ashes will be enshrined at two temples, namely Wat Ratchabophit and Wat Bovoranives.

After the Royal Cremation Ceremony, an exhibition will be held at Sanam Luang for 30 days, from 1 to 30 November, where people will be able to learn more about the ceremony. The exhibition will feature arts and culture regarding the Royal Crematorium and related structures.

http://www.kingrama9.net/EN/Ceremony/Detail/1
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I have some long time expat friends who attempted to pay respects not so long ago and were treated in a rude and desultory manner and not allowed to proceed onto the grounds.

I have other friends who met no open hostility as such.

My own decision was to stay away and that's what I'd generally recommend to non-Thais. FWIW of course.
My Thai wife and I went to pay our respects last Sunday 23rd. We were treated with the utmost respect by the multitude of Thai people who also attended as well as the staff/volunteers who ushered us through the occasion. One very elderly Thai lady came up to me and said that she thought that it was so good the a foreigner should come and show respect to their late King.

Anyone wishing to attend should prepare themselves for a very long day. We arrived at Sanam Luang at 06:00am (having left home at 05:00am) and joined the end of a queue of several thousand people. We very slowly shuffled our way to the Grand Palace and eventually into the Throne Hall. We eventually left the Grand Palace at 12:30pm. Despite the heat and humidity both of us were solemnly dressed in black attire.

This is definitely not a photo opportunity event.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: most of them
I plan to visit the crematorium with a Thai friend. We went to the one when the King's sister died a few years ago as well. But I'm sure this will be a whole different story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.