Requirement to show Bt20,000 in cash when entering Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Requirement to show Bt20,000 in cash when entering Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Oldtiger
Unfortunately not. Immigration officers on the arrivals desks don’t have access to CC machines so they are unable to tell if the card that is being presented is over its limit.
That may be logical, but that doesn't make it true in Thailand. I have certainly heard of credit cards meeting the requirements when this issue has been flavour of the month in the past.
If the immigration officer in front of you accepts it then it's good. If not then you're out unless you have a plan B.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I've seen farang selling photos twice - at Mo Chit BTS and the other, more recently, just north of Big C on Ratchadamri. I've never seen any directly begging nor anything of the sort at BKK.
I've seen a pair selling photos at Chong Nonsi BTS before. They were only around during the day, didn't see them at night, but they were there at least two days in a row the week that I saw them.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
Originally Posted by ft101
That may be logical, but that doesn't make it true in Thailand. I have certainly heard of credit cards meeting the requirements when this issue has been flavour of the month in the past.
If the immigration officer in front of you accepts it then it's good. If not then you're out unless you have a plan B.
Im just trying to picture the situation.

IO to Pax: I see that in the past 12 months you have a large number of back-to-back visa except and tourist visas in your passport. Do you have 20K Baht on you?

Pax to IO: No I don’t carry cash, but I do have an AMEX Plat card.

IO to Pax: That’ll do nicely sir. Have a nice day.

In your dreams.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would guess that the guy was an expat who lost his job, perhaps an English teacher who might or might not have had proper working papers originally. No job and no savings mean no plane ticket home.

Depending on the age, it could also be someone who came to Thailand seeking a cheap and pleasant place with good medical care to live in retirement, but then something didn't work out as planned.

Does anyone know whether credit cards would count for at least part of the required money? I would think that a reservation in a major hotel that takes credit cards would be acceptable as people not staying in really cheap places would tend to pay by credit card and not spend to much cash, nor would it be necessary to carry so much cash on the plane.
But how miserable should someone be if they dont have a couple of friends who can give/lend 50$ each for a ticket back home?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

IO to Pax: I see that in the past 12 months you have a large number of back-to-back visa except and tourist visas in your passport. Do you have 20K Baht on you?

In your dreams.
Hypothetically, if I'm in that situation I'd walk over to King Power and find an employee to offer a compromise where I'd buy 23,000 bht worth of merchandise using the AMEX Plat card which I'd give to that person in exchange for 20,000bht cash.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:19 am

In your dreams.
Your location shows as BKK. You should know that truth is often stranger than fiction. Joking aside, the CC (perhaps along with a recent statement) has been mentioned before and I've no doubt has worked on occasions.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Plato90s
Hypothetically, if I'm in that situation I'd walk over to King Power and find an employee to offer a compromise where I'd buy 23,000 bht worth of merchandise using the AMEX Plat card which I'd give to that person in exchange for 20,000bht cash.
I like you’re thinking… definitely outside of the box ^… but I think you’ll have to resort to Plan B…. those poor shop assistance earn less than 10K BHT/month and it’s unlikely they’ll have more than 100 Baht in their pocket.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a lame requirement since cash is so infrequently used in many countries with large tourist populations to Thailand (Scandinavia and China are two major almost cashless societies).

I'm sure it's to ferret out the "long stay" tourists but it seems the best way to secure your entry if you want to stay for a long time is to pony up and buy the Thailand Elite card. They ain't denying those people entry :-)
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by transpac
I can't honestly say I've ever seen such a thing, but have heard about it. Most street beggars are Asian and organized by criminal gangs.
I've seen a typical Western hippy guy in his 20s, with a guitar, sign in Chinese and Malay singing and a hat with coins on the foot bridge to CIQ (Singapore-Malaysia border) on Malaysian side about month ago. I have serious doubts that that guy will make to Singapore even if he has enough money.

Originally Posted by transpac
He has 3.3 million followers on the Google-owned service, and his videos attract up to 10 million viewers each. Viewing a video one time triggers up to 17 adverts - each resulting in a small payment to Mr Bartling. If a viewer clicks on an advertisement, it's a much bigger payoff.
If he has 10m view from his video, google should already paid to him $10K - if my information is correct, 1000 views generates $1 to the content creator.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by invisible
If he has 10m view from his video, google should already paid to him $10K - if my information is correct, 1000 views generates $1 to the content creator.
How much YouTube creators make changes based on their CPM. It isn't a flat value across the board. Of course, any questionable content can also be demonetized.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I'm sure it's to ferret out the "long stay" tourists but it seems the best way to secure your entry if you want to stay for a long time is to pony up and buy the Thailand Elite card. They ain't denying those people entry :-)
A Thailand (basic) Elite Card for a 5 year visa costs 1 million Baht enrolment fee plus VAT. Anyone who can afford 1 million plus Baht to spend on this visa is not going to worry about a showing mere 2K Baht to the IO.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:24 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
It seems that foreigners who come into Thailand frequently, with visa exempt stamps and/or 90 day visas, and having more than 6 months in a 12 month period in country showing in their passports can be the targets. A friend of a friend, who was under the retirement age though is "retired" here, had some questions to answer recently upon entry. so, it appears to be the rotating crackdown on foreigners who may be targetted as potentially working illegally. The 20k THB requirement is for a family. Individual is 10k THB which is only 10-1000 baht notes, so easy to carry around. See the sign in post 15.

Of course, coming through the Priority lane and having a 1 year Non O Retirement visa, plus multi-entry endorsement, I never have any issue. I might start carrying my US Consulate notarized income statement used for the 1 year retirement visa, but doubt it would be necessary.

Never considered Thai Privilege as their charges are extreme. Though, if someone doesn't qualify for the retirement visa, there may be some benefit at the lower levels to fastrack to a longer term visa, 5 to 20 years depending upon how much you pay them. They advertise that US$60,000 will get you set for life. I doubt the couple selling photos in the previous post would consider this option, no matter how good the photo sales might be.

On the issue of ATM fees, I find it easier to have a US account (since the Thai banks really don't pay much interest and foreigners are not allowed to play the stock market with an in-country account.) Citibank is the easiest as they have enough branches in Bangkok, and with Citigold (or Priority,) no ATM fees at Citibank ATM's, forex transaction fees, and better exchange rates.

Last edited by rbAA; Jul 30, 2017 at 10:20 pm
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 20k THB requirement is for a family. Individual is 10k THB which is only 10-1000 baht notes, so easy to carry around. See the sign in post 15.

I am under the impression that the individual cash requirement for a Visa on Arrival, is 10,000 THB.

But for those with a visa, or from a Tourist Visa Exempt country, the individual requirement is 20,000 THB.

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/cu...itled-for.html
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:30 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
On my most recent visit I brought five US$100 bills, which I changed to 17K baht at Super Rich. This wouldn't have fulfilled the requirement, but I only spent 8000 baht during my stay (including hotel which I paid in cash)...
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:44 am

There is requirement of 20,000 baht per person and 40,000 per family. Below documents are also required:

Passport or travel document with a validity not less than 6 months
Visa application form (filled out)
One(1) recent 4x6cm. photograph of the applicant
Round-trip air ticket or e-ticket (paid in full)

For more information, visit http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/...urist-visa.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.