Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Left luggage at BKK -- international-to-domestic flight

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Left luggage at BKK -- international-to-domestic flight

I have a J ticket on Turkish Air IST-BKK-USM with a 6 hour layover at BKK on 22 June before flying TG in J to USM. [Departing via Thai airways in F BKK-SYD on 4 August.]

I'd prefer to leave either my carry-on or my larger checked suitcase at one of the BKK left luggage counters (Chubb, etc). Will only need colder weather gear again when I move on to southern hemisphere winter and high elevations.

Will I automatically have to pick up all my luggage and clear customs in BKK and pass the level 4 / departures Chubb counter as part of the natural transit flow? Or do I need to give the airline any special instructions to ensure my checked bags don't end up in USM? If I need to pass through security again, is the J fast-track actually fast? Lastly, will I pass a lounge suitable to rearrange a few items between my bags before doing this?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
Welcome to Thailand FT.

As far as I am aware there are no lounges in the airside arrival area – that said, living in BKK I don’t have the need to use a lounge upon arrival so never looked for one. Maybe someone else can advise.

Regarding left luggage facilities there are 2, but both are located on the public side of the airport. For details look at http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/e...orage-services
Regarding picking up your luggage at BKK much will depend upon your ticketing.

If you have a single ticket IST-BKK-USM, then it possible that the check-in agent at IST will check your bag(s) straight through to USM and not allow you to collect a bag(s) at BKK. My understanding is that this is due to rules relating to fare pricing.

If this is the case you will need to pack warm weather clothing in your carry-on and change on route to BKK. On disembarking follow the normal arrival route via immigration/customs and leave your carry-on bag at left luggage on the passenger terminal side and then proceed to TG check-in.
If you don’t want to leave your carry-on bag you could transfer from your TK flight to TG airside. See details: http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/e...-boarding-pass

If you have 2 separate tickets e.g. IST-BKK & BKK-USM, then follow the arrivals sign to immigration, collect your bag(s), clear customs and exit into the passenger terminal. The airport is very large so it will be a matter of finding somewhere quiet to transfer cloths, leave your bag at left luggage and then proceed to check-in at the TG counter.

Regarding ‘Fast-track’. As a TK J pax I’m fairly sure that you will be given a priority pass valid for normal immigration on your arrival. Yes it is much quicker (5-10 minutes) than the normal plebs lanes which can take an hour at busy times. I don’t think that they have an immigration Fast Track lane in the transfer area, but queues are reported as being normally short. TG J pax have their own security check lanes which again are fairly fast.

With 6 hours layover you really will not have any problems whichever way you come through BKK.

Hope this helps and have a good trip.
Old May 30, 2017, 3:47 am

IIRC Samui is one of the destinations where someone arriving on an international flight clears immigration at BKK, but customs at the destination, meaning the bags get checked through to USM.

With a 6h layover, I would exit the secure area anyway and go to Bangkok for a few hours, as you will only have access to the forgettable domestic TG lounge (better to rearrange your bags on the seats at an empty gate). Re-entering the secure area will be quick, as there are hardly any lines on the domestic departures side; in fact I don't recall seeing a priority security lane there, but it has been years since I have flown domestic C.

What I would question is whether you wish to pay Chubb THB100 a day for 40 days. What I do in such mixed weather travel through BKK is to leave my bag at the first hotel and recover it shortly before flying out. Any Thai bellman will be more than happy to oblige for a THB100 tip. Be upfront about the duration of storage, as many places have a limitation on this.

I have grown not to rely on the Chubb storage facility at BKK, as they will refuse any bags with electronics in them, and these days sometimes are full, especially during Chinese holidays (both facilities were 'pick up only' during the last CNY). Suvarnabhumi airport is running beyond capacity and it shows.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for these detailed responses. In the absence of attractive lounge options I think I will head into the city and book some better hotel for 5-6 nights before my outbound flight, I expect they'll hold it for me. Also, sounds like I have to ask Turkish to tag my bag for BKK pickup.

Super helpful, thanks again.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by monahos
IIRC Samui is one of the destinations where someone arriving on an international flight clears immigration at BKK, but customs at the destination, meaning the bags get checked through to USM.
If bags are checked through to USM this is indeed accurate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.