Car and driver in Samui and Chiang Mai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie

On my upcoming visit to Thailand, we have a stretch at FS Koh Samui and another at FS Chiang Mai. I know FS Samui is on the northwestern corner of the island, a good distance from Chaweng beach. I have learned on FT that FS CM is likewise about 30-45 minutes outside the old town of Chiang Mai.

Now, I could totally give Chaweng a miss. Been there, done that. But my spouse hasn't been there, so likely will want to spend an evening checking out the restaurants and the entertainment scene, just to see it. Same goes for the old town and night market of Chiang Mai.

So in both places, I'd kind of like to arrange a car and driver for an evening, maybe six , no more than eight, hours. Is this advisable, or is it better to just deal with one-way taxis (which in Samui at least are expensive compared to Bangkok)? If this is possible, how should one go about arranging the service? And how much should one expect to pay?

I know the hotels will offer some car service on an hourly basis. But we don't need a fancy car and the hotel pricing is invariably exorbitant.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
In Chiang Mai, Uber and Grab are options if you just want to go point-to-point.

There were lots of Grab taxis that appeared on the app (my location was the Arcade bus station which is outside the city center proper) when I was there last Dec. A lot less Uber but not zero (1-2 if I recall).

In Samui, perhaps you could rent a car and drive. Car rental agencies, such as Avis, will deliver and pickup car from your hotel for a small fee.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Thank you, tide. I've now downloaded the Grab taxi app.

Anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions?
Old May 22, 2017, 7:04 am
Original Poster

For the benefit of the forum, a Thai friend of mine arranged a van and driver (van being cheaper than a car for unknown reasons) in Chiang Mai for 1800 baht plus gas and trip for one day of up to eight hours.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
(van being cheaper than a car for unknown reasons) .
A plethora of vans in need of work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.