Search

Car driving in Phuket compared to Langkawi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
Car driving in Phuket compared to Langkawi

Hi

As the title suggests, my question is pretty straight forward, yet I couldn't find an answer online.
I will be arriving to Phuket in April for 7 days and staying in Surin, doing my maths i came to the outcome that renting a car will be cheaper (4300 THB for 7 days) than using taxis for airport transfers + moving around the island (1500 for one airport transfer, surin>patong at least 500THB oneway).
Now, I read horror stories about car driving in Phuket but living in Europe I dont quite have the picture what it means in reality, the closest region-wise I experienced was driving a month ago in Langkawi (which was TBH very comfortable with no problems at all, i had 10x more stress when I was renting a car in Paris . So my question is thus, how would you compare driving a rental car in Phuket as to in Langkawi
Many Thanks
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I rented a scooter for 24 hours and was fine driving it. Kind of hilly..

A good driver should be fine imho
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT GB, UA GOLD, MARRIOTT GOLD, HILTON GOLD, IHG PLT
I live in Thailand 4 months per year and I emphatically tell you, don't do it. Phuket is packed tight with an incredibly poor infrastructure and equally poor and foolish drivers. Whatever you do, don't rent a motorbike as you are taking your life in your own hands. Thailand has the most road deaths per capita than any nation on earth. Be smart. You're on holiday.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I travel to Phuket 5-6 times a year and always rent a car. So far haven't had any issues. Even getting used to driving on the other side of the road, I haven't found it difficult to drive in Phuket. Due to the nature of the roads, you're always driving pretty slowly so have time to react to any obstacles. I would feel trapped without a car.

A scooter, on the other had, I would never rent. Death trap!

Where are you finding such a good deal on a rental? 4300 THB for 7 days is amazing!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

I am talking about a car... a scooter I would not dare...
Yes, i read the horror stories, but like I said, I honestly dont know what to compare the horror to, is it horror compared to US/Europe or it horror per say? Like I said, Langkawi was no problem for me

I found the price through regular price comparing sites, i think it was kayak that brought me to rentalcars.com, the rental company is Bizcar, which has good rating
To be precise, it was 117 Euros for 7 days, which should be around 4368 THB
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I've seen plenty of bike bingles in Phuket between locals and tourists. I am sure I know who would come out on top.

I would never drive in an Asian country. It is such a small cost to get a driver etc. Also, if you are concentrating on driving, how can you look out the window and see the fabulous scenery.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
Originally Posted by matio_svk
..... how would you compare driving a rental car in Phuket as to in Langkawi
Europe, Malaysia and Thailand all have very similar road traffic regulations and that’s where the similarity ends. Europe and Malaysia both enforce their traffic laws, hence drivers tend to obey them and they know that if they get caught breaking them the penalties can be high.

In Thailand it’s almost a case of doing what you want and blow everyone else. If a Thai wants to drive on the wrong side of the road; pull out of a junction without stopping; change lanes without looking or signaling; overtake you on the inside; drive the wrong way down a one-way street; overload their vehicle; ignore the speed limit; drive with no license or insurance; all that’s fine, because if they do get stopped by the police 50 Baht will make the problem go away.

If you do decide to drive, then a couple of pieces of advice:

1. Make sure what insurance cover is provided with the car and what your liabilities are in the event of an accident.
2. Make sure you have good travel insurance which covers hospital care and possible repatriation if necessary.
3. If you are involved in any form of accident, no matter how minor, because you are a foreigner, expect that it will always be your fault, regardless of what happened.
4. Don’t drive at night, the risks go up X10.

Hope you have a good trip.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I have driven in both Phuket (4-5 years ago), as well as Langkawi (3 months ago). I had no issues driving in either location.
Just be smart, be careful, and enjoy. I much prefer the freedom of driving myself versus a tax - especially since I get to avoid the taxi mafia in Phuket!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
I rented a car in Phuket last month. While I've not driven in Langkawi, I have driven in other parts of Malaysia and Phuket is very similar - lots of motorbikes.

Driving in Phuket (I'm used to driving on the other side of the road) is easy if you exercise sound judgement and adhere to the following:
a) don't be in a hurry. Stick to the slow lane and don't be pressured to drive fast
b) watch your lane changes, both mirrors as a matter of course, and watch for bikes
c) never make sudden, unexpected moves. Always signal lane changes in advance so others can adapt
d) Use a GPS
e) be aware some right lanes suddenly become right-turn only

I've driven all over Thailand. I find Thai drivers to be generally OK and patient compared to say Malaysia (KL and Penang especially) and Singapore. Thai drivers will let you filter lanes whereas in Malaysia, good luck with that.

You should get full insurance (SCDW) and I would never get a bike in Phuket (hot, little protection from other vehicles). Parking can be challenging in Old Town but you just go around or park a little further away and something will open up. In Patong, park at the malls (Jungceylon, BananaWalk etc).

In short, you need a car in Phuket.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I've driven in Phuket (always rent a car when there) as well as all over Thailand. In fact I have no desire to be on Phuket without transportation.

Most of the advice above is quite good. You must be an aware driver, though not necessary defensive. If you have no desire to constantly be on alert for everything going on around you then don't do it. Anticipation and reflexes go a long way to having a safe trip.

That said, having a car frees you up to explore and eat well. The price is good, I've seen Avis at 620 THB per day on occasion.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: SK Diamond, QR Platinum, AA Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold Ambassador
I've driven in both Phuket (scooter) and Langkawi (car) and there is a bit of difference (obviously) in the traffic. Driving in Langkawi is a breeze, not a lot of traffic.

Driving in Phuket is not at all impossible, but it will be a lot more packed (especially in/around Patong). And the intersections can be... interesting

As long as you drive with care and don't get "pressured" by all the drivers honking their horn (a lot of them do it just to say: I am here, watch out) you should be perfectly fine.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Ok, so it seems that I will stay with the car rental, since I will be staying in Surin where it is much less busy than Patong, it should be ok (hopefully), Thank you everyone for your input!
Final question, how is it with parking in Patong (and Phuket in general) should I expect to pay a couple of bahts to some tout everytime place I decide to park? and is it safe to park in Patong? (or where) Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by matio_svk
Ok, so it seems that I will stay with the car rental, since I will be staying in Surin where it is much less busy than Patong, it should be ok (hopefully), Thank you everyone for your input!
Final question, how is it with parking in Patong (and Phuket in general) should I expect to pay a couple of bahts to some tout everytime place I decide to park? and is it safe to park in Patong? (or where) Thanks
In/around Surin and Phuket town it's park-as-park-can. If it looks like a spot it probably is. My understanding is Patong can be more situational but I've only parked there once and had a shot gun giving all pertinent directions.

I've never experienced parking touts on Phuket.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
In Patong I always park at Junceylon mall. Easy, safe, open 24/7, and cheap.

Last edited by justforfun; Mar 30, 2017 at 6:42 am
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Langkawi is very easy for driving - light traffic, well marked roads, signs in english etc.. Phuket appears far more challenging unless you plan to stay away from more populated areas...Not saying it's impossible to drive but definitely more challenging than Langkawi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.