Reload this Page >

Car driving in Phuket compared to Langkawi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car driving in Phuket compared to Langkawi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:11 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
When in Phuket, we always stay near the Mai Khao beach area, so need a car. Patong is too busy/crazy though have driven there too and usually can find parking to get out to eat/beach time/walk. Never have encountered "traffic-stops" like I have on the roads to and from Surin in Isaan (100THB usually is the requested amount.)

I've driven all over Thailand (besides Phuket-Krabi, Bangkok and Surin,) and a good aggressive/defensive style works well, just keep your eyes on what's going on around you and pull off if you want to look at the scenery. It's better than driving in China, believe me, though there are always poor drivers everywhere.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by rbAA
I've driven all over Thailand (besides Phuket-Krabi, Bangkok and Surin,) and a good aggressive/defensive style works well, just keep your eyes on what's going on around you and pull off if you want to look at the scenery.
Couldn't agree more.

I've encountered a number of traffic stops (Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, other northern areas, Ubon, Yaso etc etc etc) by the police and military and I've never been asked to pay. Perhaps I'm lucky and I keep small money in a pocket just in case. On a number of occasions I've been asked for my driver's license but it's in English and most of these guys have no idea... so they waive me on.

Perhaps one day my luck will run out. Who knows.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
So, finished

I must say, not so horrific after all... apart from one huge traffic jam, driving was more or less a breeze and it was definitely a good decision.

And thank you for the Junceylon parking tip, great location, easily accessible and safe
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:28 pm
Suspended

The Phuket Island have high Traffic and to many project for development for the roads. If you don't have knowledge about that ,I intro rent with driver be better.
-----------------------------------
KL transport & Travel , We processional driver tour&transport around Phuket and nearly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.