Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Overnight at BKK or in Bangkok

Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

I've got two trips through Bangkok coming up this week. HKG->BKK->KTM->BKK->HKG. They are both twelve-hour, overnight (e.g., 8:00PM to 8:00AM) layovers. I spent 19 nights sleeping in airports in 2016, with a bunch in December, and I'm trying to reduce that in 2017. Bangkok hotels and taxis are cheap.The hotels I prefer are along Sukhimvit, about 45 minutes from the airport. Then there are places closer, like the Le Meridien and Novotel. Layering on immigration and customs (no checked bags), I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. Six hours in a hotel feels like the minimum amount to achieve any value.

No desire to do anything in the city. Just escape airport and, maybe, nap.

Can anyone push me off the fence?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
I don't know the exact time that you're leaving and going back to the airport. But BKK has the airport link, why not just find one of the hotels or airbnb along the link and nap for a few hours? That way you get fully rested, and don't even have to worry about traffic when going back to the airport.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: most of them
I think for sure it's worth going somewhere comfortable. But if you're not planning to do anything in the city then picking a hotel near the airport makes more sense. 12 hours is a long time to spend at the airport. And since it is overnight for sure I would get a decent hotel room to spend my time.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
The Novotel Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport is overpriced, but is certainly convenient. Sometime Accor has a Asia-Pacific sale, but not at the moment.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
There are quite a number of non-chain, local "airport" hotels, reached by taxi or shuttle. Some are a lot nicer than others. All are cheap / reasonable in price - it's a competitive market. TripAdvisor is useful, and i think there's a thread in his forum.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yeah, there should be plenty of info in this forum on BKK airport hotel (or is it in the TG forum?).

Anyway, with 12 hours I would certainly book a hotel room, but not at the overpriced Novotel BKK airport. If you only want to sleep/spent time in the room I would choose one of the many adequate hotels in the airport area (many offer shuttle service, but otherwise a cab will be cheap in BKK)
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions. Since everyone is focused on places to stay, I think that my other implicit question (how much hassle and time involved in immigration and customs) is answered.

Oddly, all the city Hilton show up in search as being 1-3 miles from the AIRPORT. But 40+ minutes by taxi. I understand (now) this is wrong. (Why? doesn't matter.) So I have found some decent near-airport options for less than the cost of a drink at my current airport hotel (SFO).

Again, thanks.
​​​​
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:37 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
So I have found some decent near-airport options for less than the cost of a drink at my current airport hotel (SFO).
​​​​
I know prices around BKK, in which case, methinks your hour hotel is uging you @:-)
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I arrived on 1 Jan ~ 9 PM and the Arriving Immigration lines (both halls) were quite long, at least 30 min. (I used an old VIP pass).

And the taxi queues were very, very, very long - maybe 30-45 minutes. I used an AoT car, and was home ~ 45 minutes after plane/gate-ing.

I'd leave some extra time for departing Immigration too, assuming you go landside for a hotel.

There are inexpensive hotels near the airport which offer transport, you could probably get into bed ~ 21:30/22:00, then up 05:00, so have some shower and rest off-airport.

There are a lot of people sleeping in int'l transit in BKK on any given night; and there are some nice sleeping arrangements: full recliners in the E wing, rows of padded seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.