Search

Advice for New Year weekend in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Advice for New Year weekend in Bangkok

Hello,

First of all I apologize if this has been already answered in some thread.

We are a family of 3 planning to go to Bangkok for the new year weekend.

Will like to stay at some place where we can watch New year fireworks?

Sofitel and Novotel are sold out.

Thnaks
Old Dec 22, 2016, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not 100% sure there will be fireworks this year? There were some proclamations from the "authorities" that celebrations would be more somber owing to the passing of the King. That said, I haven't stayed up to speed on the latest developments, and tourism income is vitally important so maybe they are back on?

Based on this story from today's The Nation it looks like there will not be any fireworks...

Overnight prayers for late King part of activities to usher in the New Year

THAILAND WILL celebrate the New Year in unique style this year.

Unlike previous celebrations, there will be no fireworks or boisterous fanfare because the country is still mourning the passing of HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej (King Rama IX).

The Culture Ministry is planning to include activities in remembrance of the late King in its New Year celebrations.

It has also planned activities for Thais to express their good wishes to the new monarch, HM King Maha Vajiralongkorn (King Rama X).

“We have planned overnight prayers from the evening of December 31 to the first half hour of January 1,” Culture Minister Vira Rojpojchanarat said yesterday.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30302662

Last edited by transpac; Dec 22, 2016 at 6:54 pm
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Thanks a lot. You saved us right before buying the tickets.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
I'm staying at the Sheraton Royal
Orchad and just rec'd a letter under the door stating that because of the lass of the King, there will be no fireworks in the city we the Thai government. It's a bummer but NYE for me is not all about the fireworks. A lot of upset guest though
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:01 pm

Although there won't be fireworks, you should still visit Suan Luang area in the old city. There will probably still be alot of people and alot of events like Khon performances and probably sky lanterns still despite the bans. You can see fireworks every year, something like the passing of the King and the related events only happens once a generation. They will probably do something special for a remembrance. I spent new years in Sanam Luang a few years ago, still one of the best and unique NYE experiences I've ever had.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by AndrewAC
you should still visit Suan Luang area in the old city.

I spent new years in Sanam Luang a few years ago, still one of the best and unique NYE experiences I've ever had.
I'm confused, which one are you recommending? Suan Luang or Sanam Luang?

Are you familiar with the day-to-day activities at Sanam Luang since the king passed?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by AndrewAC
I spent new years in Sanam Luang a few years ago, still one of the best and unique NYE experiences I've ever had.
I did as well in the early 'oughts and was almost struck by multiple mis-shot mortars that the official fireworks display had set off; there were no notices nor attempt to keep people aware from the launching area. Woman and children among others running away out of total fear.

An entertaining, and informative, introduction to Thailand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.