Wiki Posts
Search

Evening Bangkok Longboat Ride

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Evening Bangkok Longboat Ride

All,

Hopefully this isn't a repeat question. I am passing through Bangkok briefly in a few weeks and want to do a short (60-90 min), private longboat ride on Choa Phraya river at around 5pm on the day we arrive. Googling suggests going to a pier and negotiating directly with the drivers, has anyone done this? The concierge could only suggest a tour which does not work with our timing and my cousin who lives in Chiang Mai didn't know.

If we cannot get this sorted we will just do the tourist boat.

I appreciate your information/suggestions.

Neil
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
You can certainly hire someone privately but be aware that depending on when it gets dark it may be a bit late to do 90 minutes after 5pm (not sure now but I've been in Bangkok when it got dark around 6pm IIRC)
Old Nov 18, 2016, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Estnet,

Thank you for the info. My cousin's wife, who is non-Thai but has lived in and out of country for 15 years, had a funny comment. "You can do it but you will be ripped off, it is just a matter of how much". Hopefully we will get to the pier with enough time to scope the situation and still make the last tourist boat if it seems like too much of a hassle...
Old Nov 18, 2016, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by NKBNYC
Estnet,

Thank you for the info. My cousin's wife, who is non-Thai but has lived in and out of country for 15 years, had a funny comment. "You can do it but you will be ripped off, it is just a matter of how much". Hopefully we will get to the pier with enough time to scope the situation and still make the last tourist boat if it seems like too much of a hassle...
Yes, she is certainly right! First time - you'll have no idea of normal prices and what seems reasonable will be outrageous by Thai standards (coupled with no quality control over boat or driver).....like 800-2400 baht (just a guess - haven't priced this for years) for an hour - but you will be able to see smaller canals.
There are 2 river boats - the "Tourist boat" flys a blue flag I think and has marginally better chairs and only goes part of the way up the Chao Praya, vs the regular river boats. Cost 100? baht for tourist (can't remember) vs 14ish baht for the regular boat (there are express and local but not a big difference). From Thaksin to the end of the line it takes about an hour with lots of stops along the way - one of my favorite ways to spend a lazy day - BUT if it's late and you're pressed for time (esp. to get back before it gets too dark) that could easily factor into your decision. If you board at Thaksin (and maybe other places) you can ask when the last boat goes - but also at Thaksin make sure you are in the right line - there are at least 3 on the main pier (and others that go to various hotels, etc.) the "regular" boat, tourist boat and cross river ferry.
If you just want a short river trip you can do it for free! Asiatique has a free boat starting late afternoon until 9 or 10! Not my favorite place to go - but a nice 10ish minute ride and no worries about being stuck with no boat back!
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: most of them
I wonder if there are safety restrictions that time of day. I don't think any of those long boats have lights.

It's easy to catch a taxi from Asiatique if you don't want to wait for a boat or it's crowded.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In addition to the safety issues, I'm not certain how much you'll be able to see at night?

The allure of the long-tail boat trek is navigating the canals on the west side of the river while a large engine screams away, racing other boats, disturbing residents, getting soaked with raw sewage, stopping at a temple, pulling up to another boat to buy a drink, stopping for lunch, going to the Royal Barge Museum, etc.

Chao Phraya Express Boat service This is mainly for commuters as the timetable illustrates.

Last edited by transpac; Nov 25, 2016 at 6:57 pm
Old Nov 26, 2016, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I wonder if there are safety restrictions that time of day. I don't think any of those long boats have lights.

It's easy to catch a taxi from Asiatique if you don't want to wait for a boat or it's crowded.
Safety restrictions???? TIT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.