Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RIP King Bhumibol Adulyadej

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
My advice was addressing a question from a tourist perspective. I stand by it.

While I still consider the country safe. Is it a place I would recommend for a casual tourist? Not answering is safer for me.

But, to delay until 2018 or consider other places can't be bad advice.... can it?
For people still in the planning stages of a trip, good advice. I would also recommend they book to alternate locations that might also work for them.

For people who are already booked and would find it expensive to change... I'd tell them that they just need to exercise some discretion and the overall experience should be fine unless they're the party-all-night type.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: most of them
I've seen too many random violent acts over the years. Often, they happen when alcohol is involved (not necessarily the tourists). The worst include incidents where members of the public join in and it turns into a mob attack.

Have you seen the attacks of Thai people wearing normal clothes? Have you heard of the mobs in the south over opinions of disrespecting the monarchy? I live in a tourist area of Phuket. An area where people are beaten and even shot over normal road rage.

The comments I make are not based on travel to only Bangkok. I worry more about tourists to the other provinces.

While I still consider the country safe. Is it a place I would recommend for a casual tourist? Not answering is safer for me.

But, to delay until 2018 or consider other places can't be bad advice.... can it?
But if you have seen all of these problems even before now, what good would waiting until 2018 do?

Personally I have zero intention of ever going to Phuket given all of the things I have read about problems there (including what you wrote here). But in the main tourist areas of Bangkok (where most general tourists go) I have never personally witnessed any major issues. But I am not living there either.

Somehow millions of people manage to visit Thailand every year without any problems.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:43 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
But if you have seen all of these problems even before now, what good would waiting until 2018 do?
I am not afraid that any political problems will arise. It's the unpredictability of simple misunderstandings, the severity, and speed that a situation can turn for the worse. I believe the unpredictability may hinge on the severity of the collective mourning of the country. Remember, the group here matters far more than the individual. A Thai would believe that it's their duty to carry honour for millions. It's hard to turn that stuff off.

Come, November 2017, the mourning period is technically over.

Personally I have zero intention of ever going to Phuket...
You may not want to come here. Again, my message is to the tourists, the 'sun, sand, sea, and party crowd. And they're coming in droves. Mourning is not going to stop it. They are the ones I worry about unintentionally finding themselves in a situation that cannot be turned off.

But in the main tourist areas of Bangkok (where most general tourists go) I have never personally witnessed any major issues. But I am not living there either.
I'm not talking about day to day life. I agree that Thailand is a relatively safe place to visit and live, even if you have just basic street sense.

Somehow millions of people manage to visit Thailand every year without any problems.
Don't be so sure! While, you are technically correct, a simple google search is all that's needed to find blogs that document the passing of foreigners in the country. When the law cannot find justice, there is no dis-incentive.

Heck... come if you want! I'd probably not listen to me.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
So three people in this forum suggested to delay trip to first time visitors. Just to be on safe side.

And if you go over at thaivisa forums you will get way more serious warnings.
Some, including me, think the concern is over blown. If you behave respectfully you'll have no problem.

Having said that, some of the "rambunctious" (using that term generously) behavior that is often seen at beer bars in places like Nana or Pattaya are going to be frowned on.

So if you're a tourist who is going to see temples, historic sites, shopping malls, etc. go ahead. You'll have no problem. No need to delay.

If you're a tourist who is counting the days to start counting the beers you're going to toss down while you try to grope the server, best stay home for a while.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I expect that any frequent visitor to Thailand can make their own mind up. But, frequent visitors and tourists have very different contact with the public. We can make our own assessments, have enough knowledge to find our own ways around should trouble occur, and have existing fineness on who, and how to address people in different situations. Tourists are usually more dependent on the people in their immediate surroundings.

Seems sensible and measured advice.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by glennaa11
Personally I have zero intention of ever going to Phuket given all of the things I have read about problems there ..
Are you thinking of Pattaya? Phuket has pockets of sleaze, but it's an island with great beauty: Pattaya has pockets of beauty but sleaze is pretty much the dominant tourism environment.

Originally Posted by glennaa11
There are problems. And some very bad things happen: these can be totally unpredictable and very violent.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Are you thinking of Pattaya? Phuket has pockets of sleaze, but it's an island with great beauty: Pattaya has pockets of beauty but sleaze is pretty much the dominant tourism environment.
Huge difference between Phuket and Pattaya. Pattaya is an open air brothel for all intents and purposes (although they've been trying to improve it's reputation and appearance recently). Phuket attracts beach goers and divers.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:28 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat

Last edited by seanthepilot; Oct 24, 2016 at 2:59 am
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Some, including me, think the concern is over blown. If you behave respectfully you'll have no problem.

Having said that, some of the "rambunctious" (using that term generously) behavior that is often seen at beer bars in places like Nana or Pattaya are going to be frowned on.

So if you're a tourist who is going to see temples, historic sites, shopping malls, etc. go ahead. You'll have no problem. No need to delay.

If you're a tourist who is counting the days to start counting the beers you're going to toss down while you try to grope the server, best stay home for a while.
As someone who is in BKK now (and many times before), the above sums it up well. If you're coming to party, forget it. If you're not, it's tourism and other business as usual here. It's likely safer than where you live.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by timster
As someone who is in BKK now (and many times before), the above sums it up well. If you're coming to party, forget it. If you're not, it's tourism and other business as usual here. It's likely safer than where you live.
^^^ to both Timster and Tchiowa.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Hi all,

do you think it should be business as usual in mid December? We may go to Thailand for two weeks (would be our first trip to Thai) but I am not sure it is the right time to go there. My wife and I would just like to do a bit of sightseeing (temples, etc); and otherwise a little bit of chilling by the beach, etc ie. no hard partying or otherwise.

Many thanks
J
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by JFSV
Hi all,

do you think it should be business as usual in mid December? We may go to Thailand for two weeks (would be our first trip to Thai) but I am not sure it is the right time to go there. My wife and I would just like to do a bit of sightseeing (temples, etc); and otherwise a little bit of chilling by the beach, etc ie. no hard partying or otherwise.

Many thanks
J
I've been in BKK recently - even the nightclubs are back, so it's pretty much business as usual right now, just with less loud music audible on the streets...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Thanks - that helps indeed!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by JFSV
Thanks - that helps indeed!
Just don't forget this is one of the few times it's actually true that "The Grand Palace is closed" - but seeing the mass of people and the arrangements there is a pretty unique cultural experience in and of itself for a visitor imho!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Just don't forget this is one of the few times it's actually true that "The Grand Palace is closed" -
I read that it was to re-open Oct 21. Is it still closed?

[we'll be visiting at the beginning of December - 2 days on a cruise stop]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.