Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Leave my lizards alone

Leave my lizards alone

Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Leave my lizards alone

Bangkok has decided to remove some or all of the monitor lizards from various parks in they city. The video shows them capturing one in Lumpini. The city says they are a threat to joggers in the park. Nonsense. I've been jogging in that park for 20 years. You see them all the time. They are one of the attractions in the park.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/vdo/world/1091201/
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Bangkok has decided to remove some or all of the monitor lizards from various parks in they city. The video shows them capturing one in Lumpini. The city says they are a threat to joggers in the park. Nonsense. I've been jogging in that park for 20 years. You see them all the time. They are one of the attractions in the park.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/vdo/world/1091201/

They also thrive in the klongs around Thonburi and all over Dusit among other places. And if anyone thinks this will go to fruition I've got some BTS elevators to sell them.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:55 pm

BTS elevators

Actually , D , a few BTS stations do have elevators but , most are not for sale .
I agree with your assessment otherwise though . They will lose interest in catching lizards before long .
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I confess to not following the story, except on social media where there were some hilarious videos, no Hitler Rant parody oddly enough?

I think these lizards will be relocated to an idyllic farm up country where they can frolic with others.

On a serious note, they may have begun to consume too much of the local animal and fish population, so maybe some sort of balance is not the the most despotic thing the "authorities" are doing here?

In my neighborhood, when small pets and children start going missing the fire department shows up with a burlap bag, and a length of PVC pipe with a noose on the end.

This is a small, young baby lizard in my garden in Bangkok, including the tail it's about 2 feet long.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Monitors are not a big deal - they are shy (at least here is Singapore) and always run away when humans are around.

How about pythons there - do you have many of them roaming around?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: most of them
I guess the problem is that their population has boomed to such a degree that things are out of whack. Hopefully they can find a balance at the right number of lizards for the park to sustain.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Funny, my last few visits to lumpini I have hardly seen any lizards - I always go to try and see them.

Fun fact: my username is because of them! On my first visit there my friend and I were observing a lizard near a bridge and an older European guy saw us pointed at it then to the distance saying in broken english, excitedly, "many! many! many!". My friend and I find things like this quite funny lol.

Saw one of those snake catcher programmes on Nat Geo TV once and they were in Bangkok, not long after the 2011 floods I think. They were called to lumpini park to catch a massive python hiding in a tree. Would love to see a python in the park! I guess it was probably planted for dramatic effect though.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tipping the scales

'They are disgusting, they scare me, they hurt with their deadly saliva, and they destroy the trees." These are among the seemingly endless complaints made against water monitor lizards by the many people who use Lumpini Park for workouts and recreation. After extensive complaints, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration decided to remove the "uneasy on the eyes" animal from the park last month.

Accessories made from the water monitor's skin are among the fashion world's most expensive products. But while top fashion labels eagerly seek out the skin to make their bags, shoes and belts, Thai people refuse to regard it as a luxury item. The water monitor remains deeply stigmatised, a fact driven by a set of long-standing cultural beliefs.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/spec...ing-the-scales
Old Oct 9, 2016, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by transpac

Accessories made from the water monitor's skin are among the fashion world's most expensive products.
Ah, how enlightening. It all becomes so clear now.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Ah, how enlightening. It all becomes so clear now.
Are you suggesting the creatures aren't being carefully transported to a monitor lizard heaven somewhere up country to live out their lives unmolested by joggers and tourists ?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Are you suggesting the creatures aren't being carefully transported to a monitor lizard heaven somewhere up country to live out their lives unmolested by joggers and tourists ?
He probably suggested that trapping these lizards was a starting point to their ultimate journey towards handbaghood...
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by invisible
He probably suggested that trapping these lizards was a starting point to their ultimate journey towards handbaghood...
NO! butchered and skinned in the yard behind a police station? The meat going to a street stall and the skin contributing to some official's pension pot?

I can't believe such cynicism exists in our thread

As an aside, I was taking a rain-enforced jogging halt under a stand in the park last week when a monitor came out of the lake, plodded past me with no concern at all and quickly climbed a tree. I had no idea they were so agile.

Now I worry about getting rained on by monitor poop.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
As an aside, I was taking a rain-enforced jogging halt under a stand in the park last week when a monitor came out of the lake, plodded past me with no concern at all and quickly climbed a tree. I had no idea they were so agile.
What are their size? Here in Singapore they grow up to 5 ft.

Last edited by invisible; Oct 14, 2016 at 8:40 am
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:21 am

Programs: EK Pleb
Originally Posted by invisible
What are their size? Here in Singapore they grow up to 5 ft.
This one was spotted by my house security camera on June 2016. Location: 40km west of BKK. It's about 6ft nose to tail.

Caught and released into a canal away from habitation.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Oldtiger
It's about 6ft nose to tail.
Cool!
Originally Posted by Oldtiger
Caught and released into a canal away from habitation.
How did you do it? I could never outrun them...
I'm sure your lady would appreciate a handbag made from it...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.