Wiki Posts
Search

Getting around in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Getting around in Bangkok

We will be a party of 5 (2 speak English, 4 speak Mandarin) spending about a week there. She's very much in favor of renting a car, I find the notion of driving in the traffic there nuts. Being a party of 5, though, could pose problems with taxis--would we all be able to pile into one taxi?

Who is nuts here?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Taxi's are not that large (Toyota Corolla size) so 5 would not work. Uber X is possibly an option if available but I would doubt it. Driving well to be honest if you don't know the road system then forget it. Other option is the train system which is clean, reasonably priced and can get you to most part of the city.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Taxi's are not that large (Toyota Corolla size) so 5 would not work. Uber X is possibly an option if available but I would doubt it. Driving well to be honest if you don't know the road system then forget it. Other option is the train system which is clean, reasonably priced and can get you to most part of the city.
The road system?? A GPS can tell you where to go. I'm much more worried about the insane traffic.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't see renting a car just to drive around Bangkok - obviously if you wanted to go other places then a rental might be a consideration, along with extra medical/life insurance.

In addition to the multitude of challenges considered, you'll also have to find a place to park the car, at your hotel and at all the places you might drive to.

Navigating, even with a GPS, can be challenging here. I'll leave it at that.

Not sure what to suggest short of public transport, taxis (splitting up your party, and doubling the issues: meter, getting separated), GrabCar/UBER, hiring a mini-van/driver.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The road system?? A GPS can tell you where to go. I'm much more worried about the insane traffic.
Definitely don't rent a car. Parking will be hassle and while a GPS will help it will not be a panacea. Navigating Bangkok is a unique experience.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Trying to drive around Bangkok would be unthinkably nightmarish. It'd be like renting a car in Hong Kong or New York to get around locally, except those places have fewer non-vehicle hazards in the road.

I remember the pre-1999 Bangkok where it was just city buses and taxis and you could get stuck in epic traffic jams. The traffic is still there, but the Skytrain and subway have been real game-changers, and I try to use those as much as possible. There's also the river taxi out of Saphan Taksin for some spots in the old section.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Definitely don't rent a car. Parking will be hassle and while a GPS will help it will not be a panacea. Navigating Bangkok is a unique experience.
What he said. GPS will be of only limited value. Addresses here do not work the way that they do in the U.S. Where will you be staying? That might be relevant as we try to help you with suggestions. Also, Loren, is this your first time in Bangkok? Will the trip be mostly sightseeing? Shopping? All of that information will help us help you.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by RustyC
Trying to drive around Bangkok would be unthinkably nightmarish.
For Bkk proper, mass transit and taxi should be the ONLY way to go. Driving is insane, parking impossible, and god forbid a fender-bender occurs and no local language skills.

If you out of town, consider Uber or hotel van with driver.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
GPS will fail miserably in most of downtown as you will be under a BTS line that will distort the signal and introduce error that can put you a block away. And one wrong turn can cost you 20 minutes in traffic.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: most of them
I would never ever consider driving in BKK for all of the reasons given here. I don't even like driving at home all that much. When I'm there I rely mainly on public transport and taxis. Depending on where you're going it might make sense to hire a van and driver for a day or two.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: AA
To the OP I agree with your initial thoughts that it is 'nuts' to consider driving in BKK.

I have recently returned from a week in the city and it is just mayhem on the highways and especially the inner city roads where you have tucktucks, taxis, motor bike taxis, buses and general traffic weaving in and out of traffic jams all the time. Even street traders pulling their carts on the main roads. Pedestrians take life in the hands when crossing the road even at pedestrian crossings. Our first experience of a tucktuck was an eye opener to the congestion in the city but they find a way through.

If you plan to stay in he city and visit the attractions the train and ferry network is great and frequent and inexpensive as are tuck tucks and taxis. From my experience when using tucktucks and taxis I agreed a fixed price with the driver first and not the price they suggest

If you plan on going further afield I would suggest minibus taxi or even fly.

Safe travels
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I say, rent a car. It's been awhile since we've had a "disaster" driving thread.

I often travel with our extended family with 5 in it, and wouldn't consider renting a car in big Asian cities. Uber works great in many places.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Sorry if I'm highjacking this thread but I am also going to be travelling to Bangkok in December(which I've been to alone so I know that renting a self-drive car is not something to consider) Our group also have five people (three adults and two young children aged one year and 5 years). We will be there for a week so we have plenty of time to take things at a slow pace. I've taken the skytrain and subway but I do remember a lot of stairs which isn't ideal with a stroller and tired children. Does anyone have experience with Uber (or anything similar) in Bangkok? It appears as if Uber Black SUVs are available. What about hiring a car and driver on a daily basis?
Old Aug 5, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Oh you would enjoy it when the Police change the traffic system. Good luck
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
We will be a party of 5 (2 speak English, 4 speak Mandarin) spending about a week there. She's very much in favor of renting a car, I find the notion of driving in the traffic there nuts. Being a party of 5, though, could pose problems with taxis--would we all be able to pile into one taxi?

Who is nuts here?
I sometimes have family come from up north to visit my wife and I. They drive down but they park their car once in BKK and won't drive it. We take taxis. 2 at a time. Figuring you can get just about anywhere for $2-3 per ride per taxi, taking 2 is still insanely cheap. If we want to do a "family thing" (like Safari Park or something) then we make arrangements with an Innova taxi driver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.