Wiki Posts
Search

BKK Left Luggage Scam Warning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
BKK Left Luggage Scam Warning

Heads up that a money scam is being reported at the BKK left luggage service specifically run by something called "Guardforce" (on level 2 arrivals). Sounds like they are counting on your impatience to get through the airport in order to pocket your money. I am sure many have used this service in the past without a problem so be alert and I would avoid the service if at all possible. As it is being reported in other forums I am not sure I am allowed to link to it but the warning was actually a "featured" discussion sent out to the emails of Australian frequent flyers.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by westcoastman
Heads up that a money scam is being reported at the BKK left luggage service specifically run by something called "Guardforce" (on level 2 arrivals). Sounds like they are counting on your impatience to get through the airport in order to pocket your money. I am sure many have used this service in the past without a problem so be alert and I would avoid the service if at all possible. As it is being reported in other forums I am not sure I am allowed to link to it but the warning was actually a "featured" discussion sent out to the emails of Australian frequent flyers.
I'll bite.

As an occasional user of the service what exactly is this reported 'scam'?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...kok-76637.html
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Scam ???? Sounds more like an (annoying) mistake, badly handled.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Scam ???? Sounds more like an (annoying) mistake, badly handled.
I agree. Either just a mistake or one employee swiped 200 baht. But calling this a scam and telling people to avoid using the service doesn't match what happened.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I wouldn't classify it as a scam; but from the description of events, it does appear to me that the employee attempted to steal the money.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I wouldn't classify it as a scam; but from the description of events, it does appear to me that the employee attempted to steal the money.
What would you classify as a "scam" then? By definition it's a fraud, cheat, or swindle....which is exactly what the situation describes.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I meant that I don't think that it's an organized scam by the operators/owners of the left luggage facility. To me, seems much more like employee theft.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
What would you classify as a "scam" then? By definition it's a fraud, cheat, or swindle....which is exactly what the situation describes.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I meant that I don't think that it's an organized scam by the operators/owners of the left luggage facility. To me, seems much more like employee theft.
Agree completely. One off employee theft isn't a scam. If it's an organized scam by the operators then we're justified in telling people to avoid the business. This, on the surface, doesn't seem to qualify.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I'm not sure you are correct (I'm being polite ). A scam, by definition, suggests an organised scheme to defraud victims - so I think you'd expect a coordinated set-up, probably with repeated reports of it being employed to deprive victims of cash.

The report describes a unique event that could be a mistake, or opportunistic theft.

I'd go with Occam and plump for a mistake badly covered up.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't read the link I posted so not sure what the issue is/was.

Since the new airport opened in 2006 there have been reports of semi-organized pilferage rings at:

left luggage (a lot of problems early on, don't recall any recent incidents)
baggage handling
security
from the carousel (remember a fairly recent report)

I think these incidents do get reported via social media so the "authorities" are relatively quick to shut these down to avoid public embarrassment.

For the left luggage service it is highly recommended that you not leave anything of value in your bags, in case that wasn't obvious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.