Wiki Posts
Search

Questions regarding Chiang Mai

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dsquared37
That would be a great racket to get into. Sheesh that's easy money.
Indeed, d2. But under the rules, which news reports say are now being enforced aggressively, you have to be Thai to be a tour guide or operate a tour company/travel agency.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Indeed, d2. But under the rules, which news reports say are now being enforced aggressively, you have to be Thai to be a tour guide or operate a tour company/travel agency.
Oh, I am well aware of that. Otherwise I'd have engaged in the business years ago.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Oh, I am well aware of that. Otherwise I'd have engaged in the business years ago.
But in my book, you're almost Thai, anyway.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
The Thai-U.S. Treaty of Amity (1833) allows Americans to own/operate 100% of businesses here, with some exceptions (banking, salt farming, telecomms, etc.).

I am no expert, but I believe a "Tour Company" would be acceptable, with the appropriate capital and a minimum of four Thai employees.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transpac
The Thai-U.S. Treaty of Amity (1833) allows Americans to own/operate 100% of businesses here, with some exceptions (banking, salt farming, telecomms, etc.).

I am no expert, but I believe a "Tour Company" would be acceptable, with the appropriate capital and a minimum of four Thai employees.
No, travel/tourism is one of the excluded industries.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could be, like I said I'm no expert.

The only references I can find are all similar to the following:

except in the following six
areas: (1) communications; (2) transport;
(3) fiduciary functions; (4) banking
involving depository functions; (5) the
exploitation of land or other natural
resources; and (6) domestic trade in
indigenous agricultural products. And
Thai domestic legislation has been
enacted restricting foreign, including
U.S., ownership and participation in
these areas.

But maybe a tour guide service would fall under "transport" and/or "exploitation of land and other natural resources"?

Further, the Treaty of Amity has technically expired as it violated WTO agreements, but it seems to continue. As with most things, YMMV.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Tourism" appears as item 18 on List 3, -- the businesses in which the government has determined that Thais are not yet able to compete on a level playing field with foreigners without some form of protectionism. Other types of businesses on that list include things like rice milling, forestry, production of lime, advertising. Foreigners can operate businesses on this list if they obtain special permission from the Director General of the Department of Business Development with the approval of the Committee of Foreign Business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.