Search

Unofficial Bangkok (BKK & DMK) Airport thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Thanks for your help
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More or less a standard, pre-paid food court. The quality seems OK.

http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/12...n-the-terminal

(scroll down to Floor 1 map)

https://2baht.com/suvarnabhumi-food-court-1fl/

Attached Images  
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a heads up for those heading to/from DMK - maybe best to stick with the Elevated tollway for the next few years...definitely avoid the surface road (Vibhavadi-Rangsit). Assume the A1 shuttle bus will be impacted?

Lat Phrao motorists get traffic warning

Motorists have been warned of worsening traffic at the Lat Phrao five-way intersection while the extended section of the Green Line electric railway is being built. The construction of the Green Line...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...raffic-warning
Attached Images  
Old Sep 4, 2016, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by transpac
Just a heads up for those heading to/from DMK - maybe best to stick with the Elevated tollway for the next few years...definitely avoid the surface road (Vibhavadi-Rangsit). Assume the A1 shuttle bus will be impacted?

Motorists have been warned of worsening traffic at the Lat Phrao five-way intersection while the extended section of the Green Line electric railway is being built. The construction of the Green Line...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...raffic-warning
I spent a couple of years working right there (or close) and I quit using the surface street after about the second attempt.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:23 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

Thanks for the heads up.

Off to DMK tomorrow for the second time (prefer BKK) and will be sure to get the driver to use the tollway.

M
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Thanks for the heads up.

Off to DMK tomorrow for the second time (prefer BKK) and will be sure to get the driver to use the tollway.

M
FWIW, while the current traffic situation remains dreadful in this area, the actual construction on this project has not yet begun.

The work on the dark-red line (Bang Sue-Rangsit), which can eventually (2020-ish) can be used to get to DMK, certainly impacts traffic heading to/from DMK. This dark-green extension from Mor Chit to Khu Khot will run 'behind' DMK.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
FWIW, while the current traffic situation remains dreadful in this area, the actual construction on this project has not yet begun.

The work on the dark-red line (Bang Sue-Rangsit), which can eventually (2020-ish) can be used to get to DMK, certainly impacts traffic heading to/from DMK. This dark-green extension from Mor Chit to Khu Khot will run 'behind' DMK.
One of the lines can be seen when driving on the Tollway to DMK, but I'm not sure which one it is. It looked fairly advanced in parts, and a couple of the station complex's looked to have been erected.

I don't like to rant, but DMK is my idea of a nightmare airport - and I'm usually based out of LHR! The staff are unhelpful, the airport warm and crowded, and the lack of any sort of Premium Line, is infuriating! I have been in and out of DMK twice in the past month, and have had to use a DYKWIA business-card on both occasions!

I appreciate that it is the LCC Airport, but their flight times to SIN, for example, are better than those out of BKK.

M
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the lines can be seen when driving on the Tollway to DMK, but I'm not sure which one it is. It looked fairly advanced in parts, and a couple of the station complex's looked to have been erected.

Dark Red Line: Bang Sue - Rangsit. Due to open 2020 but behind schedule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRT_Dark_Red_Line

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...ks-on-red-line

http://www.bangsue-rangsitredline.com/data2_en.php

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...733512&page=66
Old Sep 10, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

I don't like to rant, but DMK is my idea of a nightmare airport - and I'm usually based out of LHR! The staff are unhelpful, the airport warm and crowded, and the lack of any sort of Premium Line, is infuriating! I have been in and out of DMK twice in the past month, and have had to use a DYKWIA business-card on both occasions!

I appreciate that it is the LCC Airport, but their flight times to SIN, for example, are better than those out of BKK.

M
Not to mention immigration is always congested (both entry and exit) at DMK and there is no ABTC line.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Not to mention immigration is always congested (both entry and exit) at DMK and there is no ABTC line.
I've entered and exited DMK immigration multiple times and to my recollection there has always been options for shorter lines with ABTC. Crew line, diplomat line and even the Thai national line - all are fair game. Just show the card and ask politely - most are aware of ABTC.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:46 am

How does international transit work at Don Muang? Is it now possible to transit without actually entering the country? Do I need to have a boarding pass for my second flight already? Is the process different if both legs are on different airlines? Is the process different if you have checked bags? I transited Don Muang years ago when it first reopened, but I'm hoping the process is streamlined now.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by tide
I've entered and exited DMK immigration multiple times and to my recollection there has always been options for shorter lines with ABTC. Crew line, diplomat line and even the Thai national line - all are fair game. Just show the card and ask politely - most are aware of ABTC.
Thanks for the tip I will try it next time.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
How does international transit work at Don Muang? Is it now possible to transit without actually entering the country? Do I need to have a boarding pass for my second flight already? Is the process different if both legs are on different airlines? Is the process different if you have checked bags? I transited Don Muang years ago when it first reopened, but I'm hoping the process is streamlined now.
On an Int'l-Int'l connection at DMK, and based on all I've read/heard you have to enter Thailand, clear Immigration, get any checked bags, clear Customs, check-in with your departing airline, clear Immigration/security.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:33 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I'm in and out of DMK 10 times a month, but it's all domestic. I can't answer your question.

They, like most airports, operate with arriving passengers offloading a floor below the departure level. If there is a way to bypass immigration, it would be to go up one floor like they do in Suvarnabhumi.

Perhaps someone who arrives or transits a lot can report their observations.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Regarding the bolded [mine], considering all DMK airlines are LCC, and therefor no interlining, I don't see how you could possibly get around going through immi and picking up your bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.