Wiki Posts
Search

Great Thailand sales?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 2:56 am
kkl
Original Poster

Great Thailand sales?

Have found info for the sales at the malls for 2015, but no info for 2016.

Anyone on the ground see any adverts or signage?
Old May 2, 2016, 8:24 am

deleted

Last edited by CrazyInteg; May 3, 2016 at 2:12 pm
Old May 2, 2016, 9:23 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
The greatest sales happen when the baht value drops, and that's a sale on everything.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if this is what you're looking for...

http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/thai...ales.htm#promo

which references both 2015 and 2016?

Assume the dates might be the same this year? 15 June - 15 August.

Maybe there will be more info in the coming weeks? People are just getting over Songkhran and the spate of holidays this week and next (yesterday, Thu, Fri, next Mon); it's like a 10 day weekend.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:29 pm
kkl
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Not sure if this is what you're looking for...

http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/thai...ales.htm#promo

which references both 2015 and 2016?

Assume the dates might be the same this year? 15 June - 15 August.

Maybe there will be more info in the coming weeks? People are just getting over Songkhran and the spate of holidays this week and next (yesterday, Thu, Fri, next Mon); it's like a 10 day weekend.
Perfect!^
Old May 2, 2016, 8:31 pm
kkl
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
The greatest sales happen when the baht value drops, and that's a sale on everything.
not sure why the baht hasnt fallen. its still holding especially with a dip in economy growth etc
Old May 3, 2016, 5:27 am
Accor Contributor Badge

You missed the 11% off + tax refund sale at LV, Tom Ford, and Rolex last fall?
Old May 3, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by kkl
not sure why the baht hasnt fallen. its still holding especially with a dip in economy growth etc
But it has fallen in past 12 months -- from $1:B30 to $1:B35
Old May 3, 2016, 12:42 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

It needs to go back to the early 2000's of 1/40
Old May 3, 2016, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
It needs to go back to the early 2000's of 1/40
I was content with the 36.5 of a few months ago... which will likely be hit again once the fed begins to hint of a rate raise.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:07 am
kkl
Original Poster

not for the aud
Old May 5, 2016, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I confess to not being any sort of expert, but I was under the impression that the BoT/MoF 'controls' the value of the baht, and have it pegged to a basket of currencies, of which the USD is a significant component.

Import duty, customs, excise, additional taxes, (VAT at 7% can be refunded in some cases by tourists) which vary widely, do contribute to unusually high prices for imported goods.

Most unusually wealthy Thais shop outside the country, and then dodge the tax man on entry. A recent example:

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/04/2...r-customs-duty

I rarely purchase anything here, choosing instead to purchase on frequent trips to the U.S. and bring back with me. I usually get roped into bringing back additional items for friends, neighbors, colleagues as well. Real make-up, perfumes, handbags, clothing, footwear are all significantly less expensive in the U.S.

Thailand could possibly generate more revenue (and VAT), and draw more upscale regional tourists, by lowering all these taxes, but this behavior may be too well entrenched?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/...kong-singapore

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busi...-30276194.html

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busi...-30276179.html
Old May 5, 2016, 5:17 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I didn't know HK had luxury import tax? I found everything in HK to be priced the same as its US counterparts, minus the minor currency fluctuation (and minus sales tax).

I don't think lowering taxes is a good way to attract tourism. Chinese people can go to HK to shop as it's cheap and convenient.

And why compare to Singapore? It is overall more expensive, has no history, and is simply a sterile, unimaginative, and uninspiring city. Nothing to model a culture rich nation like Thailand after.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by transpac
Real make-up, perfumes, handbags, clothing, footwear are all significantly less expensive in the U.S.
Add personal computers to the list. I picked up a Mac for a friend on one of my trips to the U.S. at 24% less than here.
Old May 5, 2016, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have to be a bit careful with some electronic kit. The local subsidiary may not honor a warranty, and it may not come with a Thai keyboard.

The Apple Thai on-line store includes free shipping and VAT, and ships from Singapore. The price difference isn't really all that significant these days. In fact, they may be cheaper here now?

Apple has a local franchisee (Copperwired) or two here, so no idea if they'll honor a warranty on gear bought elsewhere - they do NOT on iPhones based on first-hand knowledge. Maybe Apple Singapore would, so you may have to send the unit there for warranty service/repair?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.